Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Watchers And Lapband

Has anyone had and done both? The first year of my lapband, I lost 60 lbs. Since then (now 3 years out), nada. During that time, I was drinking an Atkins shake for Breakfast, one for lunch and had a salad for dinner. I've kept trying to follow the atkins but now that I'm actual eating food for lunch and dinner, the scale hasn't moved. I've recently started getting extremely light-headed and on one occasion, passed out. My regular doctor completely disagrees with the advice of my lapband doctor and wants me to stop with the very low carbs and suggested I try WW.

I know I can't do very bready stuff, but I do miss things like milk, fruit, etc. Has anyone else had good results with a band and WW? Thanks in advance for any replies.

I think WW is great, as it's not really a diet and more of a way of eating for life. They stress moderation and you don't cut foods out entirely, which I think can be dangerous.

With that said, it really sounds like you need a fill. Maybe you aren't losing weight because your body has gone into starvation mode and won't let go of the weight. What is the advice of your lapband Dr.? I think I'd go with his recommendation, since you paid (I'm assuming) to have the lapband surgery.

I did do WW for 12 weeks at my job. Unfortunately for me, I could not eat 28 points a day....and since I do not eat breads, or rice at all...it made it difficult to get to 23 points each day. Needless to say, I did not fair well on WW. Worked for alot of my friends who were not banded though.........

@Bunz, my lapband doctor says it has nothing to do with my band. That it's me being a food addict. He advises things like drinking coffee all day and only eating once a day. My normal doctor just shook his head when I told him that. I've always thought that I'm not tight enough, but my lapband doctor disagrees. I insisted on the barium test last time and he filled me somewhat but I still feel I eat a normal amount of food. I've gone to some of the support groups and there are people who claim they are completely full after only 1/2 cup of chilli, etc. That's definitely not enough for me not to feel like I'm starving all the time.

The only reason I could do the 2 shakes and salad was because the lapband doctor had me on phentermine at the same time. As soon as he took me off the pills, I couldn't stick to only 2 shakes and a tiny salad. It's like if I don't eat next to nothing, I can't lose weight. That's why I'm hoping with WW that maybe since you have to eat, it might actually work for me. I'm just very discouraged I paid all this money (I was self-paid), and while I'm no longer a size 22, I can't seem to get below a size 14. :(

I have read a lot of posts saying they don't eat certain foods. I have never been told that by my doctor. I can have bread and Pasta, but just a lot less of it. I have found that I really don't crave it as much as I used to and it may be that I am afraid of getting stuck more than anything. I eat my Protein first, then veg and if I am still hungry I will eat a carb. I do the WW points plus program and I love it with my band. (I was banded 12-22-11). I am consistently losing weight, albeit slowly (which is good actually), and I have never had one day of feeling deprived. I do the points and although I am able to have 41 based on my weight, I shoot for the minimum of 26. My WW leader said to modify it to suit me and if points are not working (it is hard sometimes since most fruit and veg are zero points), then do the WW program where you eat the power foods until you feel satisfied. If you want more info on power foods I can get that for you. It tends to be more protein, but you also get fruits and veg in there. I don't believe in denying yourself a particular food group because it leads to feeling deprived and then overindulging later. I am so thrilled that I have my band to help me enjoy the things I like but without falling completely over the edge. Take care, Jen

I also want to add that when I eat too little the scale doesn't move, but when I get those 26 points in, the scale moves with great consistency downward. You have to eat.

I started out with WW because of my insurance. I had to if I want the insurance to pay for the surgery. I exactly like do with WW with the lapband. Go rules to live by and the meetings were great. I don't eat rice or Pasta because of the carbs, but I do eat bread, just not everyday. But I workout 6 days a week and 2 to 3 hours. I am down 60lbs in 3 months. But, I am nerves to hit my plateau.

Hello, im curious about the weight watchers diet how do i know how many points i need to eat and do i really need to join?? i havent started on solid foods yet i'm just 3 weeks out and still on mushy food and reccomendations for me? all will be appreciated thanks in advance!!!

I'm not sure. I can tell you that because of the cost, I'm not joining WW, but I did buy the deluxe points plus package from ebay that comes with the points calculator. The link below tells you how to use the calculator to figure out your points per day.

http://www.3fatchick...-daily-pts.html

@jennilamb, thanks so much! I'm not big on the Pasta and rice, but I do like thin bread and potatoes. I should have my new packet of stuff within the next day or two and have been using an online points calculator to track my past two days. Well, what I can track. Not sure what lettuce and salads come in at but I've been tracking the smart ones and the stuff that has food labels on it.

I've been afraid of WW because all that I've heard is lapbanders must do Atkins. It's nice to learn someone with a band has had success on WW! smile.png

Oh, here is the link of what I bought from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260914667538?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_991wt_944

Thank you over i will look into that .....and i open to hear any more suggestions ...again thank you all!!!

@jennilamb, thanks so much! I'm not big on the Pasta and rice, but I do like thin bread and potatoes. I should have my new packet of stuff within the next day or two and have been using an online points calculator to track my past two days. Well, what I can track. Not sure what lettuce and salads come in at but I've been tracking the smart ones and the stuff that has food labels on it.

I

Lettuce and non-starchy vegetables are "free" (i.e. 0 points). Also, fruit is is 0 points.