Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone feel so hopeless about protein! I had the lapband surgery jan 13 2012 nine days ago… I find I can not stand the taste of any Protein Powder. So I have cried my eyes out thinking that this is a failure for me because you must like Protein shake's to be successful. I'm not giving up and I have no choice in the matter I must find a way to get protein for the next seven days and four days after fills…HELP I cannot be the only one with this problem..

One thing I did was to use the unflavored Protein Powder. I added it to Soup, pudding, stews. At the stage you are at give that a try. It really does hide any flavor it might have. Please don't beat yourself up. It is difficult to find your groove at first, but you will.

Keep your chin up, you are just beginning so you can't be failing!

Anyone feel so hopeless about protein! I had the lapband surgery jan 13 2012 nine days ago… I find I can not stand the taste of any Protein powder. So I have cried my eyes out thinking that this is a failure for me because you must like Protein shake's to be successful. I'm not giving up and I have no choice in the matter I must find a way to get protein for the next seven days and four days after fills…HELP I cannot be the only one with this problem..

First thing I did pre-op, was invest is a good blender.

costco sells large bags of frozen mixed berries, mixed fruit. You can also get some banana's.

Use the blender and mix it to make smoothie with either Water, skim milk. You'll never taste the powder. Options are as limited as your imagination.

This has been my Breakfast for over a year now. I also add a protein supplement in the smoothie to increase it to 40gm for Breakfast. Curbs your appetite all day.

You can use any Protein Powder you choose.

Unjury is a very popular Protein powder for Bariatric patients. It comes in many flavors as well as unflavored. I actually ordered some unflavored Unjury but never opened it. If you'd like I'll send it to you. I'm way past the liquid phase. I'm at goal. I lost 110lbs. I had my surgery in August 2010. I went through the samething. I couldn't find one I liked at first. After a lot of searching I found some that were tolerable. My favorite Protein Shakes in order where chocolate Muscle Milk, Amway Chocolate (had to order from Amway representative) nectar and Easy Advantage. Isopure premixed was my least favorite. The Isopure powder was tolerable. My suggestion DON'T GIVE UP. Shop around until you find one that is tolerable. Buy samples, single serve, or small contaibers until you decide you've found one that's tolerable. Notice I said "tolerable." Yoh don't have to love it, just tolerate them for a short time until you get to the next phase.

Unjury is a very popular Protein powder for Bariatric patients. It comes in many flavors as well as unflavored. I actually ordered some unflavored Unjury but never opened it. If you'd like I'll send it to you. I'm way past the liquid phase. I'm at goal. I lost 110lbs. I had my surgery in August 2010. I went through the samething. I couldn't find one I liked at first. After a lot of searching I found some that were tolerable. My favorite Protein Shakes in order where chocolate Muscle Milk, Amway Chocolate (had to order from Amway representative) nectar and Easy Advantage. Isopure premixed was my least favorite. The Isopure powder was tolerable. My suggestion DON'T GIVE UP. Shop around until you find one that is tolerable. Buy samples, single serve, or small contaibers until you decide you've found one that's tolerable. Notice I said "tolerable." Yoh don't have to love it, just tolerate them for a short time until you get to the next phase.

Hi. I love, love, love the Isopure zero carb bottles of Protein.

40G of Protein for a 20 oz bottle. 160 calories. My favorite is Grape Frost. It is different tasting than the shakes. Give it a shot. A tad expensive, but hey, if it help you get your protein in, it is worth it right???

Good luck and let me know how you are doing.

Terry

Funny you posted this...

I had surgery 1/6 and have had the same problem. I've found a couple i could tolerate, but none I actually liked.

I ordered the Starter Kit from unjury to see if I like them and it just came today. It includes two packets each of: chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, unflavored, and chicken Soup. It also comes with a shaker bottle for shakes on the go.

I just finished the chocolate a couple minutes ago... and get ready... it actually tastes like chocolate milk, not like some weird chocolate substitute! It's really GOOD!

Here's the link if you want to get the Start Kit to see if you like any of them. : http://www.unjury.com/store/protein/unjury-protein/unjury-starter-pack.html

You don't have to do Protein shakes to be successful. My surgeon is against liquid calories, shakes included. He wants me to eat my calories. I bought tons of the stuff thinking I'd be needing it only to be told I was NOT to rely on shakes for nutrition.

During the immediate post-op phase, yes. But after I was on solids, nope. I rarely do shakes, unless I am in a hurry or very bored with my diet.

I Love, Love, Love the Isopure Smoothies! 32 grams of Protein, and they taste just like something you'd get from Jamba juice.

No aspartame, no lactose, and they are really tasty. 210 calories for the berry pomegranate, 190 calories in the Orange berry.

No blender needed, they are ready to drink. Who has time to wash out the blender before work, right?

I order them through Amazon for $2.88 each, free shipping. GNC also sells them but for about twice the price.

You don't have to do Protein shakes to be successful. My surgeon is against liquid calories, shakes included. He wants me to eat my calories. I bought tons of the stuff thinking I'd be needing it only to be told I was NOT to rely on shakes for nutrition.

During the immediate post-op phase, yes. But after I was on solids, nope. I rarely do shakes, unless I am in a hurry of very bored with my diet.

Understood. But I can't eat anything solid in the morning.

I use Jay Robb whey Protein powder. it has no carbs, 25 grams of protein, and uses stevia for sweetner. great taste.

I only occasionally use it now, eat most of my protein.

I will have a Protein Shake if I know I will have carbs later in the day (out to lunch/dinner at friends).

Understood. But I can't eat anything solid in the morning.

Good point, but I see so many people here who seem to think we MUST do Protein shakes. I don't eat first thing in the morning. I have coffee on the way to work at 6am, then I eat something about 8 to 8:30 at my desk. It is what works for me.

Good point, but I see so many people here who seem to think we MUST do Protein shakes. I don't eat first thing in the morning. I have coffee on the way to work at 6am, then I eat something about 8 to 8:30 at my desk. It is what works for me.

You're right! There is a lot of all about Protein Shakes isn't there.

Protein Shots are great. On days like today when I have a lot to do and I have to work. Down a 4oz. Protein shot and it holds me for couple of hours.

I use Designer Whey Protein, its the only one that I have had luck with. I tried several before I found this one, I mis it with Fat free milk and do it after every workout. It helps your body recover quicker. I add it to oatmeal when I can actually eat something in the morning. Good Luck on your journey!!!