Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking Sick Post Band?

My surgery is scheduled for 1/31 and I am beyond excited. I've done a ton of research and feel like I am making an excellent decision. There is one area of concern and I was hoping to get some feedback from others on this. I have noticed that when I look at after pics some people who have been banded or had other wls many of them have a similar look. I don't quite know how to describe it... thin hair in the front and some deep wrinkles around the mouth as well as a general sunken appearance to the face. This is my worst fear. I don't want to look like I have some sort of illness. I'm hoping it is just a lack of Protein in some of these individuals or that it is predominately in bypass patients. Is this something that some of you have noticed? Any thoughts about how Protein intake affects this? Thanks so much.

Dana

For some of us, fat filled out our wrinkles. Most young people have enough elasticity in their skin to take up the slack that weight loss

creates, but for the rest of us, we'll just have to be satisfied that we may have prevented (cured) diabetes, heart problems etc. People

(and us) will get used to the new us. I still look twice at the skinny guy looking back at me in the mirror. It could be worse (and was!).

My surgery is scheduled for 1/31 and I am beyond excited. I've done a ton of research and feel like I am making an excellent decision. There is one area of concern and I was hoping to get some feedback from others on this. I have noticed that when I look at after pics some people who have been banded or had other wls many of them have a similar look. I don't quite know how to describe it... thin hair in the front and some deep wrinkles around the mouth as well as a general sunken appearance to the face. This is my worst fear. I don't want to look like I have some sort of illness. I'm hoping it is just a lack of Protein in some of these individuals or that it is predominately in bypass patients. Is this something that some of you have noticed? Any thoughts about how Protein intake affects this? Thanks so much.

Dana

I absolutely looked much older after having lost over 250lbs. I had a total facelift and that helped a lot. I never lost any hair and my skin and nails are lovely. I do notice that most RNY patients look very pale and sickly. I think it depends on the LapBander's nutrition. Do they eat crap? I don't. I eat mostly protein and good whole grains and fruits and veggies. It's being wise with your food choices!

I think it comes down to how much you lose and the ealsticity of your skin. I know I will look older I am a fair skinned Irish girl and 46 I'm not looking forward to it, but would love to live to meet my Grandchildren someday. I would much rather be alive and enjoying life.

I think I will look into a face lift too once I have reached my goal weight.

I've going to admit I worried like hell about that too. And when I was losing, there were definitely times when I was looking a little grey and washed out, esp if I wasn't eating so well. I lost hair too, and my pony tail got to being 1/2 the size it used to be.

But my hair came back, and so did my colour, as my body adapted to less food.

As for the wrinkles though, I really believe that that's genetics. I don't moisturise, I use plain old bar soap to wash my face, I smoke, I sun bake and I lost a tonne of weight and I still don't have many wrinkles, even at 42. Asian genes, gotta love them!

I may have a few more wrinkles than preband but at least now I only have 1 chin. I think 2, 3 or more chins looks really awful and makes a person look far worse and far older than a couple of wrinkles.

I think you are youndg enough that you proabably will bounce back without too much trouble. As corrigan said young folks have enough elasticity in their sskin to not show those wrinkles. Now, I admit that after loosing 100lbs, I have more wrinkles, but a lot less chins!!!Karen

My husband had his surgery last April and since then ha has lost 98lbs. and everybody tells him that he looks 10 years younger.

It think it depends on your age. I am 38 yrs old and I did not get any wrinkls, I do work out a lot so I am toning. My face only got thinner and I look much better than having a round fat face. You will do fine, dont worry about those things, think about how healthy and happy you will be and how you probably avoided a lot of future health problems... Best of luck to you.....

I did have times when I didnt look too flash,but then I found out I was anaemic, Iron has cleared the pallor (even beneath a tan) and dark undereye circles. I got too thin for various reasons, but now i stay at a bmi of 21. My face definitely looks better if Im 20 lb heavier, its a trade off between getting your ass to an acceptable size v looking a bit gaunt, its why all the ceebs have fillers, botoxband so on, best of both worlds. If you like looking like a trout that is.

Bottom line, good nutrition means youll look your best, Protein to the xclusion of all else gives you that sickly look because a high protein very low carb diet bandster style doesnt generally include vast quantities of vegies duevto lack of stomach space. It can keep you chronically dehydrated no matter how much you drink and can see you short on nutrients.