Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band- Allergan Vs. Realize Band- What's The Difference?

So my surgeon has asked me to choose between the Allergan Lap Band and the Realize Band. So far I know Allergan comes from Germany and Realize is from the US, but are there any differences? Do all bariatric surgeons know how to fill both types? Which one did you choose and why? I need to answer this one quickly, so any help would be great!

Marianna

I was given the same choice and I simply refused to make it. I told my surgeon that I researched him and his practice and I trusted him to make the choice. I received a Realize band.

I wasn't given a choice in my band...I have 10cc Realize.

The Realize band is marketed as being a low pressure band. What this actually means in practice is that people with a Realize band usually need a higher level of fill in order to achieve adequate restriction.

Other than that I am sure they both do the job that they are supposed to do.

A few of things that are different between the two are: 1) the sizes they offer (both have two different options, though the Lap-Band does have a 4cc but it seems to be only outside the US from what I've read on this site- Lap-band 10 and 14, Realize- 9 and 11- one of those is the Realize C), 2) the port on the Realize band is lower profile (which may or may not be an issue with it showing as you lose weight)- the attachmend of the port also is different depending on the surgeon- Realize has a suture-less option and 3) the inner-ring of the band is divided into sections on the Lap-Band but the Realize is one big section.

Here's the comparison chart from the Realize site:

http://www.realize.com/lap-band-comparison.htm

And from the Lap-Band site:

http://www.lapband.com/en/learn_about_lapband/compare_lapband/ (which has somewhat misleading info about Realize IMO regarding size and the length of usage- it makes it sound like there is only one size, but there are actually two and it has been used outside the US since 1996- the "name change" came with the FDA approval in 2007):

Both companies are headquartered in the US, but I'm not sure where their bands are actually made.

I have the SAGB because I am outside the US. My doctor made the decision for me, but he also uses the Lap-Band and I could have had that one if I had requested it. To me, they both seem to do the same thing, so I left it up to his judgement of which one to use. He does more of the SAGBs, so he's more comfortable with that one and that's fine with me. Good luck with your choice!

The Realize band is marketed as being a low pressure band. What this actually means in practice is that people with a Realize band usually need a higher level of fill in order to achieve adequate restriction.

As someone with a SAGB, which is basically the Realize band, I have to agree with this. I have the 11cc band and am currently filled to 10ccs and I have a pretty low level of restriction- I get hungry between meals at least once a day but I can usually power through without eating anything until my next meal. Dancing_sorry.gif I go for another fill tomorrow and I hope that it will get me to the point that my hunger is a little less throughout the day.

My doctor told me that she only uses the Allergan Lap Band on larger men when she needs the biggest size available to her. She stated she usually uses the Realize Band as she feels there are less complications with them. She has wonderful statistics so far as any kind of complications.

fruitsex.gifThank you all for your advice. I had initially selected the Realize band when asked, and I think I'll stay with it. I just hope I achieve my weight loss goals!!!!! Someday......

My Dr. uses the Allergan, just his preference- and they've changed the port to a lower profile but larger surface area to make it easier for fills. I do think that either is good- both do their job!

I have an Allergan band. I wasn't asked which one I wanted and expected to have the one with the thin tube connecting the port to to inertube thingy. After looking at the photo of my insides, I have this thing that looks like hard bit of tube like plastic which has Allergan written on it. Anyone else have this? Ijust hope it doesn't show through when the fat goes...