Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Have You Been Banded And Have You Had Any Trouble?

I've been banded since November 2010 and have been fortunate in my journey. From preop until now, I've had an easy go of it with very succesful weight loss.

Unfortunately, I just found out today that a friend of mine who was banded a year early than me by the same doctor is having her band removed tomorrow. She experienced an episode yesterday where she got stuck on some meat and continued vomitting through the night. When she went to the hospital this morning, the doctor confirmed that her band had slipped. The doctor told her that he could fix the problem, but she chose to have it removed. She had always told herself that if she ever had a problem with the band, she would have it taken out.

Obviously, this news got my mind to wondering if anyone else had experienced this issue or if I would ever experience this problem. It is a very scary thought and I really am not sure what I would do if this happened. So, I would like to hear from you all.

How long have you been banded? Have you ever had any trouble?

I was banded Dec 2010. I suffered a slip while I was travelling abroad and had to rush home. In had the slip repaired and have gone through the fill process again. While I'm not thrilled this happened, it was a learning experience for me. There's a reason for the rules, they're not there to make our banded life difficult, they're there to help ensure we lose weight and protect the integrity of our bands.

No trouble since...nut then again, I'm following the rules much more closely.

I am 3 years 11 months out. I've had no troubles at all so far. Hoping it stays that way.

I'll be banded 4 years in Aug and no complications at all for me.

I was banded Dec 2010. I suffered a slip while I was travelling abroad and had to rush home. In had the slip repaired and have gone through the fill process again. While I'm not thrilled this happened, it was a learning experience for me. There's a reason for the rules, they're not there to make our banded life difficult, they're there to help ensure we lose weight and protect the integrity of our bands.

No trouble since...nut then again, I'm following the rules much more closely.

Do you mind me asking what caused the slip?

Been banded since June 2009 and I haven't had any trouble.

Banded 10/31/2006.

The only problem I had was being Deflated. The Dr. thought he blew the balloon in the Band, and I was in THE RED ZONE instead.

So a bad call from the Surgeon. He was wrong.

I've was banded 2 yrs ago in Oct (2009). The only problem I had was last Dec, I was taking some anitibiotics for a bladder infection. They made me nauseaous, to the point that I couldn't keep anything down. Finally got rid of the infection, was put on new antibioitics, but the damage was already done - I HAD irritated my band by vomiting too much. Then I still couldn't keep anything down.tried Soup - couldn't even keep a TB of Soup down. The doc had to take 2 cc out - that cured it. Had 1cc put back in this past summer and hopefully tomorrow I will get the other cc put back in. Other than that, it's been a pice of cake Hey, I made a pun!

Marci

I'm a geezerBandster....now in Year 7 PostOp.

A few minor incidents of not recognizing being OVER filled. A few of esophageal irritation that settled down after a while. And I still can produce PGs and slime if I don't pay attention when I eat certain foods.

Yes the Band still works for me. No, I'm still "35#" from goal.

The REALLY good news, is my comorbidity factors have mostly gone away.

I no longer take insulin injections after 15 long years on the needle.

I no longer use the noseHose after 10 years on the CPAP.

I haven't reached my goal of size 40 pants either....but life is otherwise far far better than preBand.

I've got the old 4cc model. Would I do it again? In a heart beat....as for 40 years I had the old CouldaShouldaWouldaeatTooMuchBlues. And nothing I did made much headway.

I maxed out at 373 preOp....Been shadowing 265 for four4FOUR years!!!

Life is good.

Had my Lapband surgery April 13th 2011, 7 fills (2 under flouro) 5months and 0 pounds lost I was told I had a leak, I had a second surgery (port replacement) Sept 6th 2011 , 3 fills, on my second fill I barely got out of the office and my chest started spasing, I couldnt swallow plus extreme pain, had to run back into the office for a unfill, and for some reason the second port is very hard to find 10 to 15 sticks and alot of digging around is now the norm, so 4 months later and 8 pounds lost as of today, (I did lose 23 lb on the liquid pre-op) ...The company I was working for sold ownership, so with insurance changes (baratric coverage), new deductables, work coverage, no pto,and sooooooooooo freakin tired of being stuck has prevented me from returning for any other adjustments or follow-ups.

Would I recommend the band??? I would tell the person if they are wanting alot of weight off fast with little or now effort to go for the gastric sleeve or bypass, but if they are wanting help with their current diet and excersise program with a slow but steady weight loss that might have a few bumps in the road and will require commentment to go for the band.

Will be banded exactly one year on the 31st of Jan., have not had one single problem other than getting stuck, etc., but I chalk that up

to the learning process of new way of eating.

Easiest weight loss program I have ever been on, and I have been on them all. Actually, surgery was my last resort and I do not regret it for

one second.

The band is in control! No one tells me what and how much I can eat except for the band! Listen to it and you will succeed.

10 lbs from goal, find the last few are the hardest.

I have been banded 13 months and have had no problems whatsoever.

I was banded in March of 2010. Would I do it again? Absolutely! Without any hesitation! After almost 2 years I have lost over 100 pounds, have gone from a size 24 to an 18 ( 16's are still a little tight), but those are not all. I can now breathe without huffing and puffing when walking from my car to the front door, I can't see my stomach sticking out further than my boobs, the big bump where my shoulders meet my neck is gone, my necklace actually reaches my chest and not just my neck, my snoring has almost stopped( it has certainly gotten quieter). I could go on, but I think you get the idea. Have I had any problems? medically - none. Operator error - yes. I still have to watch my chewing or I will get stuck. But that is it.

I have absolutely NO regrets other than I should have done it along before. but I had to be in the right place mentally.

As Jack said.... Life is good!

Banded march 23rd 2011..Only problem for me started 2 weeks ago when i could not even swallow water..I let this stay in hopes of it just being a stuck issue..but after a week i decided to go in in fear i have slipped the band..come to find out i just had gotten a to big a fill in sept..so doc took small amount out of band and alls well so far..few weeks i will go back in to replace some more Fluid in band..i have lost total of 92lbs went from size 26 to a 16-18 pants...I have learned that i worry constantly about damaging my band (im self-pay) that im ovetly causious about anything I eat..i hope that this little problem i had with being over-filled will only happen this one time.. :)

I was banded the end of July 2011 and completely satisfied with the band. The only down side is being stuck....like another poster has said. Other than that the weight continues to come off slowly but surely. Now that its over 40 lbs I can really see the difference....feel better and getting alot of good compliments which makes me happy. I did this for me....and so far its working for me. CAT