Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Dr. Tried To Sway Me To Gastric Bypass/sleeve...help

Bypass may be quicker, but it's not the healthiest way to go unless you're extremely obese. Your body doesn't get the nutrients it needs and you have to be very careful about what you eat.

I researched all three procedures and, like you, I know how to eat right and I don't mind exercise. I decided that the band was a tool that would help me control my weight without compromising my health - and I'm 56 years old.

In the end, you have to do what YOU are comfortable with. Its your body and you are the person who has to live with the decision - not your surgeon.

Whatever you decide, the people here will support you, encourage you and answer your questions - it feels like family!

Wow! Thank you to everyone for responding! I am going to stick with the band. In my heart, I've always known that it was the right thing for me to do! I'm glad to know that other people's Dr.'s tried to suggest it to them too. I feel comfortable knowing that it wasn't just mine!

Unfortunately sometimes is all about money for doctors and not your best interest, the procedures range in the same price but with the band the actually have to pay for the device with reduce his $$$ instead with the sleeve or gastric bypass is only an extra hour of his work big difference. As a sales person I always tried to fulfill my customers needs but I always suggest the higher price product so I can make a decent living at the end of the day is all about choice and only the best knowledgeable persons make the right ones. Thanks for sites like this one!!

Post-data: I just Had my Lapband with gastric plication on Jan 4 and since my two weeks pre-op diet (start weight 265) till today (238) I have lost 27 pounds and i feel amazing. Good look with yours.

Unfortunately sometimes is all about money for doctors and not your best interest, the procedures range in the same price but with the band the actually have to pay for the device with reduce his $$$ instead with the sleeve or gastric bypass is only an extra hour of his work big difference. As a sales person I always tried to fulfill my customers needs but I always suggest the higher price product so I can make a decent living at the end of the day is all about choice and only the best knowledgeable persons make the right ones. Thanks for sites like this one!!

Post-data: I just Had my Lapband with gastric plication on Jan 4 and since my two weeks pre-op diet (start weight 265) till today (238) I have lost 27 pounds and i feel amazing. Good look with yours.

Wow, that's great to know! Thank you and good luck!

I feel like the insurance bariatric resources lady I talked to tried to do the same thing. I am sticking with the band. The idea of quicker weight loss sounds nice but the idea of permanently altering my body at 22, and all of the severe side effects outweigh any positives bypass may have.

My surgeon didn't try to change my mind but one of the nutritionists in his practice did try to sway me towards the sleeve because of how much weight I needed to lose. I just told her that I had researched each procedure and felt very strongly that the band was the best procedure for me...that pretty much shut her down and she never mentioned it again.

I still see this nutritionist from time to time at my surgeon's support group and I love seeing her surprise when I tell her how much weight I've lost!

The program psychologist tried to get me to consider the sleeve because she thought I'd be anxious about the fills and my stomach would be all tightened up. I just told her that I was going to get the band because that's what I wanted and because Medicare wouldn't pay for the sleeve. I inject myself with insulin five times a day and have no fear of needles. Another instance of someone who doesn't really know you at all trying to decide for you what's right for you.

I feel like the insurance bariatric resources lady I talked to tried to do the same thing. I am sticking with the band. The idea of quicker weight loss sounds nice but the idea of permanently altering my body at 22, and all of the severe side effects outweigh any positives bypass may have.

I totally agree with you! I don't want to re-route my digestive system and all of that craziness at the age of 23! I'm gonna stick with the band, and I'm gonna succeed! I see you have done quite well for your self already! That's wonderful! Thanks for responding!

My surgeon didn't try to change my mind but one of the nutritionists in his practice did try to sway me towards the sleeve because of how much weight I needed to lose. I just told her that I had researched each procedure and felt very strongly that the band was the best procedure for me...that pretty much shut her down and she never mentioned it again.

I still see this nutritionist from time to time at my surgeon's support group and I love seeing her surprise when I tell her how much weight I've lost!

You should be so proud! That's a lot of weight you've lost! I hope I'm as successful as you have been!