Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Experience Being Pregnant With The Lap Band . . .

Since I have had a lot of trouble finding information about pregnancy with the lap band, I thought I'd share my experience on here . . .

My lap band surgery was on 11/12/10, I found out I was pregnant at the end of June 2011. So, it was only about 7 months after my surgery. At the time I became pregnant, I had lost about 25 pounds and my lap band had 7.5 cc's in it.

Right now, I am 33 weeks pregnant and my total weight gain has been around 8 pounds. This is my 3rd pregnancy and I'm 35 years old . . . my other children were born when I was 27 and 29. Also, I gained around 37 pounds with each pregnancy. With my first pregnancy, I lost all but 5 pounds of my pregnancy weight. But, with my 2nd, I only lost about 10 pounds and unfortunately continued to gain weight . . . hence, the need for my lap band.

I have not had any of the fill taken out but I have had a lot of trouble eating. When I was around 23 weeks pregnant, I did call my lap band doctor to inquire about having some of the flll removed. But, I was told that he would remove all the fill if I came in . . . so I decided to just eat the foods that I knew would not bother me (i.e. make me throw up). Also, I drink a lot of the Muscle Milk light . . . especially if I've had difficulty with a previous meal that day. I eat a lot of Soup, sandwiches wrapped in lettuce (Jimmy John's Un-Wich - yum!!), and salads. Before I became pregnant, bread still was not a big problem for me . . . but I cannot eat it at all now.

I did not want to have all the fill removed because my insurance will no longer cover anything related to my lap band. So, I would have to pay to have it removed and then after the delivery / nursing, he would not put all 7.5 cc's in at one time. Then, I'd have to pay for several visits to get back to the 7.5 cc level.

But, my OB has been watching me VERY carefully, including bloodwork to check all my nutrition levels. So, I definitely have been eating, etc . . .

Both of my current children were born at 37 weeks and I've been having a lot of Braxton Hicks contractions, so I think that this baby will also be born around 37 weeks.

Anyway, I'd love to hear other people's stories . . . especially how much weight you gained while pregnant and how quickly it came off after delivery.

I think I've lost weight during this pregnancy since I'm at 33 weeks with 8 pounds gained . . . my ultrasound last week came up with a current baby weight of 4 lb 3 oz.

My only fear right now is something happening to my lap band during delivery . . . I really cannot find any information out there regarding what might happen during delivery to your lap band.

Thank you so much for your post. I was just banded a few weeks ago and desperately want to have another child. We have a 3 year old boy, and really want my little girl. I haven't read anything related to pregnancy except my doctor telling me to wait 2 years before attempting which is way too long for me. Glad to hear that you can still have the lapband in and go thru a normal, healthy pregnancy. I think I heard the band it self would have to come out all together upon being pregnant but that's clearly not the case with you. Are you considered at all with intaking enough nutrition to keep you and your baby going and healthy?

I made sure and spoke to my surgeon about getting pregnant after lap band and he said it was fine just wait till i'm.at goal. In fact, he said its very common for women to get pregnant in the first, year (although not recommended BC of a stall in weight Loss) due to weight loss, increased sex drive, and fertility. as far as having the bands removed entirely, I don't believe that is the case. But he said that some women need to have an unfill due to morning sickness, because throwing up can damage yor, band, or like the above poster, having a hard time eating good.

To the original poster, congratulations on your baby and kudos to you on reverting back to Protein shakes in place of some foods.

I just found out I am pregnant, and I had the lapband surgery on August 23, 2011. It hasn't even been 5 months. I am nervous about whether or not I should have all of my Fluid removed and I would just love someone to talk to!

CONGRATS....... I am 33 weeks and I did not get an unfill either I've been self pay the entire time so I thought, if I could handle it, why not. So far so good. Sometimes I notice my band feels tighter or the port site feels a little sore, but nothing to the extreme where I have felt I needed an unfill or needed to see the band doc for any reason. I spoke to my OB and she said as long as I could eat properly I should not worry about unfills or anything. She's the doc so I'm trusting her opinion. My pregnancy has been amazing! No nausea, no heart burn, no nothing..... I feel fantastic the entire time and I hope it continues this way. So far I have gained 17 pounds and I'm 8 months along! WOOHOO! I hope that it continues increasing slowly and I don't gain much more. But we'll see. I am confident that I will lose this weight as soon as the baby is out, BACK TO THE BASICS and major EXERCISE. Good luck with everything!

Congrats to everyone. I had my surgery in July 2011. I just found out that I was pregnant two days before Christmas. I am now 12 weeks about 3 days. I am so excited. I have had two miscarriages in the past. My husband and I are really happy about this baby. My band feels a little tighter. I have 6.5 cc's in my band. My OB told me no more fills, but she feels that the baby is growing and developing very well. I'm still not able to eat a lot. I notice also that food gets stuck a little easier. So I have to chew very well. I'm still eating pretty good. I do indulge a little more, but I do not go over board. I'm very careful about what I am eating and how well I'm taking care of my baby. I'm not sure how much weight I gained. But I'm really trying to keep it in check. I have other issues to worry about. My blood pressure is fluctuating. I've been really focused on that. I also have diabetes, but I've been able to learn to keep that in control prior to the pregnancy. I think having the lap band has really helped alot. I hope to be able to talk more and we can share our stories of our new journeys.

Hi all. I had my lapband July of 2010. I am 37yrs old right now. I had the bank for a little over a year and got pregnant in Aug. 2011. Im due May 5th of this year (2012) I lost 80lbs before I got pregnant from the lapband (it ws alot of work to lose that) and I was still trying to lose as my goal was to lose another 40lbs, I had 9cc's in my band before getting pregnant. I have a 4yr old curently, I was worried about gaining weight and having to work so hard to lose a bunch of weight again though but wanted another child. My dr. originally said when i got preg I would have to come in and get all my Fluid removed than have it put back in once I gave birth and was done breast feeding. I waited until I was a couple months pregnant before going in because I could still eat and felt I was getting plenty of food. Iv never been one of those banders who only could eat a cup or two of food at a. but my dr. had changed his rules and said that if I was comfortable and the baby was doing fine I didnt have to get any out at all. since I am com pletely self pay I decided to go ahead and get 3 cc's out to ensure I would get enough food and have room to grow without an issue. Im 7mnts pregnant (31 weeks) and so far not too many issues. I do think my band has gotten a little tighter on its own...I get a couple of stuck episodes more than I have before and I find several types of foods bother me now and go down "hard"..but since Im self pay I didnt watn to go back in just to get a couple more cc's out causae its 300 dollars a pop for me. so I am just careful with what I eat, chew well and take my time. with my first pregnancy I gained about 15lbs total..but I was very overwieght than, topping the scale at 305 when I gave birth. When i got pregnant after the band this second time, i was 225, now I am about 336..so 11lbs so far..baby is doing good. My only worry is how the band will hold up for me for the next 9 weeks as I get bigger and during all the pushing at birth..I hope it all works out well and I have no issues. I am just sorda "winging" it right now:)

I had my surgery in March of 2010. I got pregnant and just had my daughter on 1/3. I didn't get an infill either and my ob/gyn monitored me very closely but I didn't have any complications from my Lapband during her birth. I had to have a csection though bc of a previous csection. I'm sure you will be fine. If you need any support let me know!!

I was banded in Feb of 2010. I had lost 65lbs in 8 months and talked to my surgon about wanting to get pregnant. She said that my health had increased 10 fold and said that she would give me her "blessing". I removed my nuva ring and a month later on my husbands birthday (Nov 16th) I found out we were pregnant. Around 11weeks I had Fluid removed because I wasn't able to tolerate foods and I had lost another 10lbs. I had 3 cc's removed and was good the remainder of my pregnancy. My son was born July 20th 2011. A few weeks later I noticed I was having trouble tolerating foods again. They thought it might just be a shift with my stomach so they took more fluid out. Since I am breastfeeding my main focus was eating enough for my baby. I lost all but 4lbs of my baby weight (45lbs). Then in Nov of 2011 I was getting to the point where I could not eat anything. I went to the ER with chest pains and pain in my stomach area, they emptied my band and ordered an ultrasound. Turns out I had an 2.8cm stone in my gall bladder. It was removed on Dec 16th. They said the weight loss and pregnancy triggered the issue and now I'm feeling better. Unfortunately after having it removed and having an empty band I gained 12lbs :-( I got a 5cc fill put back in and I am trying to get to my goal. Good luck to those who are pregnant and congrats!

I was only banded for 6 months when i got pregnant & had lost about 50 pounds. I haven't really gained any weight yet ( I'm currently 20 weeks. ) I was very very sick and still am. I noticed I had a TON of trouble actually throwing up,I would gag but nothing would come up. My lapband doctor removed all my Fluid, but i still have trouble. Overall my pregnancy is going good! Best of LUCK to all TTC.

I have PCOS and never expected to get pregnant without intervention, so I was surprised when I learned I was pregnant 3 years after I was banded. I had only lost 60# (with 120# to go) in those 3 years, but was in very good health all the same.

I had 2.5cc in my band and left it there because I had no real issues with vomiting or heartburn during the pregnancy. My pregnancy went so smoothly that my OB and nurses commented quite often, because my age and weight usually equate to complications. However, I had no preeclampsia or gestational diabetes and with the help of a dietician, and regular physical activity, I kept my weight gain down to 7#, which is what my son weighed when he was born (7#1oz). Labor and delivery went very smoothly and I'm pleased to say I beat the odds and had a vaginal birth rather than a c-section.

Post-pregnancy I felt/feel great. I recovered very quickly. My mother is a nurse and she was astonished by how quickly I was up and around doing housework and gardening (4 days after delivery). After a couple of weeks I started noticing I was getting heartburn and some acid reflux. I attributed it to the amount of Fluid I've been forcing down in order to keep up breast milk production -- food just seems to float, and if after an hour it hadn't gone down I'd just go cough it up.

I don't want to risk erosion or slippage, and I've been dropping 4# a week which can endanger breast milk supply, so I've had 1cc removed from the band. Hopefully this adjustment will allow me to continue reducing weight but at a healthier pace.

Those are my experiences with pregnanct and breastfeeding with the lap band.

I was banded April 21, 2012 and found out I was pregnant June 20th. I have lost 36 pds since banded an was doing great until this pregnancy which was a surprise. Whoever created this post thank u. I have been so curious to how my band will be effected by the pregnancy. So far, regular symptons nausea, little to no vomiting. I am just careful with what I eat and slowly eat. Has anyone had a lap band removed because of pregnancy?

Congratulations! We too got pregnant just 1 month after banded and were very surprised since I was told that pregnancy would not be possible due to PCOS. I later found out that when you lose more than 5% of body weight fertility increases! Well the pregnancy went well without any complications however after having the baby I have not been happy with my Lapband at all. The satiety that I once had prior to pregnancy is gone, my food gets stuck quiet often and I have not lost any additional weight. Talk with your surgeon to see if there is possibly something that can be done to prevent any issues after the birth of your little miracle.

Has anyone had a lap band removed because of pregnancy?

Not that I know of, though it probably has happened, most likely to someone who hadn't learned how to use the band, or had a bulemic eating disorder.

I just had a baby 6 weeks ago. Admittedly, I was banded 3 years ago rather than 3 months ago, but I succeeded in keeping my weight-gain to 7# for the pregnancy (actually lost weight during the pregnancy--was down 17# from my pre-pregnancy weight 3 days after the baby was born) so I'll be happy to answer any questions or give any advice to help you through this phase of the journey. Feel free to message me.

I was banded in 2007 and I am currrently 5 1/2 months pregnant :) I had an unfill around 13 weeks cause everything was getting stuck causing me to vomit....my lap band doctor recommended I get unfilled I was sad because I have always had a problem with my weight ( thats what led to surgery).....I have gained 17 pounds!