Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Talk To Me (B52, Cindyc, Elcee And Anyone Else That Can Help)

Ok Heres the deal. I was banded on August 11, 2011. I started out at 253-that is starting weight before pre-surgery diet and all. I have done great so far. I have been very motivated, eating right, and working out like crazy and actually enjoying it. As of Jan 1, I was down to 176. Loss of 77 pounds. Even the holidays didnt phase me-was still losing good. But then IT happened. I went on a ski trip the first weekend in January. I had a blast. My skills on the slopes sure were better than ever. Being 75 pounds made quite a difference!!! I was with a large group and we were having tons of fun. I ate a lot of stuff that I wouldnt normally eat (hot chocolate with whipped cream, chocolate covered cherries, chips and sausage dip) you get the picture. I also wasnt getting in my normal Water intake.. mainly because I spent 8 hours a day on the slopes and any of you who have ever been skiing know that stopping to go to the restroom can be a chore walking in those ski boots and getting out of all the layers of clothes. Therefore, I didnt drink much Water all day. At any rate, I came back from my trip this past Sunday and my intent was to get right back on the wagon and everything would be back to normal. Easier said than done. All week I have struggled with my food choices- I have wanted to eat the house- been craving chocolate and fattly foods,etc. Yesterday was the worst! I dont know what in the heck was wrong with me. I ate all day long. I was bored and sat around watching tv and eating. I get full fast but I would wait and hour or two for that food to setlle and then eat some more. Got on the scales this morning and have gained 4 pounds. OUch!!! I do not want to go down that slippery slope (skiing pun intended!! lol) I refuse to get back into those old habits.

So here is what I need from you. Have any of you been through these slip ups?? If so, what did you do to get yourself back on track? I have decided that my plan is going to be to do liquid Protein shakes for Breakfast and lunch and eat a very sensible dinner ( a lean meat and non starchy vegetable) for the next week. I also will be sure to workout twice a day(morning and evening) to reset my self.Then I will get back to the healthy eating plan that I was on before I went crazy! I know 4 pounds isnt huge in the grand scheme of things, but it feels like 20 pounds. I cant believe how much of a difference it feels like. I was at the gym yesterday on the ellyptical and I kept pulling my shirt down over my tummy because I felt like it was bulging out. Uggh!! I am going to get control of this thing right now. No more yo-yoing losing and then gaining it all back.

Does my plan sound like the thing to do or do you guys (my lapband heroes) have some words of wisdom to share with a bandster baby? I really value all of your opinions and I enjoy reading all of the advice you give to ppl on this site. Help a sister out. And anyone else that has anything to offer is certainly welcome to chime in.

First thing I would do is GET BACK TO THE SLOPES!!!!

But seriously, when I'm plateaued or whatever, I go back and do at least 2 days of liquids, no slid foods at all. That's shakes, Soups, coffee, Bloody Mary's, whatever. I eally don't pay that much attention to quanity, just a long as it is all liquids.< /p>

This usually is enough to get my restriction back, gets things back to normal, as in normal being banded, so much so that I will then do another day of mushies

People here talk about the "5 Day Pouch Test" which is a clever way of saying the same thing. You can google it if you want to follow a schedule.

After a few days of downhills, I would be willing to bet you burned up so much energy your body is screaming for re-fueling. It's like hunger after a workout. Fill it with protein!!

Don't give in! This may be a golden opportunity to for a big drop in weight, and/or a big jump in fitness. DON'T BLOW IT! Get motivated.

Over the holidays I did indulge in sweets, chocolate, Cookies, cake, etc.....I am a sugar addict and that was just what I needed to do to send me into a ravenous hunger mode. Unfortunately the only way to get past this is to "detox" again. Which for me means I must suffer through about 5 days of that terrible hunger and intense cravings. When I stuck to my regular diet which is a Protein Shake for Breakfast and 4 oz. of fish and 2-3 oz. of veggies for lunch and dinner I was back on track within the week. For me the 5 days was awful...it made me remember how I suffered with horrible hunger all the time. Needless to say, when my sons birthday came a few days ago there was no way I was going to touch a bite of his cake....Sounds like you may have a sugar addiction as well and other than suffering through a rough 5-7 days I think you will do just fine with your diet and exercise approach. You can only use this as a learning experience and keep away from those trigger foods. Congratualtions on your amazing weight loss!

not banded yet but wil be on Jan 30th. all i can tell you is life happens dont beat yourself up about. own it. you went away had a good time enjoyed yourself now get back on the bandwagon and move on. you dont have to be a perfect bandster just a really good one.

I also slipped up over the holidays. I've lost over 100 lbs over the past 2 yrs and went away to CA for 5 weeks. Got married, went on a 7 day Mexican cruise, and spent the holidays with my new in laws - eating. I gained 5 lbs. I'm terrified that I'm going to gain all my weight back. I'm, not one to follow rules at all - I eat whatever I want, just less of it. I'm thinking about doing the 5 day pouch test after I get a fill on Monday. I'm also hoping that my fill will work. I have 7 cc in a 14 cc band, so I have plenty of room for more.

JUst wanted you to know that there' others out there gaining weight and scared. Losing 5 lbs is hard now - after losing 104 lbs, the last 15 are tough! I always used to make fun of people who just needed to lose 20 lbs or so and they couldn't. That's where I am now. Keep us updated on your progress!

Marci

Its almost as if there is an addictive quality to fat and sugar, isn't it? If you don't let it start, it can be much easier to control, but once you start its like all you think about! Good luck getting on track. We are all human and the same thing happens to people who don't have weight issues. But I am not one of them obviously :)

For starters, don't panic. Life happens. It should be enjoyed! The 4 pounds could well be Water retention from eating out on your trip. Dehydration also leads to Water retention, as backwards as that sounds. I always come back from a trip bloated. So, you extended your enjoyment once you got home. Pat yourself on the back for recognizing it.

Bandsters who have been successful in the long-term have learned that we do not have to be perfect. We just have to do well the majority of the time. You were skiing while on a trip, that's total calorie burn! You might do some post-trip food journaling and see if you really did 4 pounds worth of damage. 4 pounds is 14,000 calories. Did you really eat that much excess after what you need to maintain your weight and all you expended skiing all those hours? If not, it is water retention. I know it is hard to remember everything you ate after-the-fact, but it might bring you some perspective.

Doing liquids to de-tox is not a bad idea. Anything to break the cycle you have fallen into. Going back to bandster basics is always a great fall-back for us! Also, consider if you might need a fill. Maybe you don't. But when I start grazing, that's when I start thinking perhaps a fill is in order.

Congrats on your losses so far! You've done great!

No 1 would be to keep exercising, doing something you enjoy such as skiing would make exercise fun and not a chore.

No 2 would be to give yourself permission to have a small treat sometimes just not all the time. If you deprive yourself and make certain foods bad they increase their hold over you - if you allow yourself a small treat every now and again then the food doesn't have as much power over you. Try to find foods that satisfy that urge without being full of calories.I love chocolate it is my biggest downfall but there are certain foods I use when i am craving it that help. I will either have a small skinny hot chocolate, a nestle diet chocolate mousse or a curly wurly. The curly wurly is great because it is chewy and satisfying and I think it only has just over 100 cal. I don't know for sure because I am not a calorie counter. If you do count your calories then allow for things like this in your daily plan.

No 3 get rid of all the "bad" food. If it is not in the house it is a lot harder to eat.

No 4 find a hobby that keeps your hands busy. If you knit, sew, scrapbook etc instead of watching TV you will find it a lot harder to eat.

You can do this you know you can. Remember you have the power!

Thank you all for your replies!!! As I said you all inspire me when I read your posts and comments on here. I drank lots of Water yesterday and I stuck to my plan. I am already feeling better. I got on the scale this morning and low and behold- down to 177. I guess Cocoabean was right-it must have been a lot of Fluid retention for the most part because that was down 3 pounds since yesterday morning. That puts me at only one pound away from where I was before I went on the trip. I will drop that and then some this week.

Thanks for all your inspiration. I feel like I am on top of the game again!!!

Ok Yall are not going to believe this!!! B52- you are psychic. You said this was a chance for a big loss. I am amazed. I got on the scale this morning it said 172.5!!! What in the world??? My body must have been holding onto Fluid after my trip but it sure is relaeasing it now along with some fat. Maybe sometimes you need to give yourself a little cheat time to trick your metabolism. Friday I ate like a pig. Then Saturday and Sunday-protein shakes for breakfast and lunch and a very health dinner. Then yesterday I had Protein Shake for breakfast, 1/2 cup of chicken Soup for lunch and then a light healthy dinner. I think I just may reach my goal. I am figuring this all out with the help of my lapbandtalk buddies. It felt pretty good to change my ticker this morning.

Ok Yall are not going to believe this!!! B52- you are psychic. You said this was a chance for a big loss. I am amazed. I got on the scale this morning it said 172.5!!! What in the world??? My body must have been holding onto Fluid after my trip but it sure is relaeasing it now along with some fat. Maybe sometimes you need to give yourself a little cheat time to trick your metabolism. Friday I ate like a pig. Then Saturday and Sunday-protein shakes for breakfast and lunch and a very health dinner. Then yesterday I had Protein Shake for breakfast, 1/2 cup of chicken Soup for lunch and then a light healthy dinner. I think I just may reach my goal. I am figuring this all out with the help of my lapbandtalk buddies. It felt pretty good to change my ticker this morning.

The answer is simple.....YOU NEED TO GO SKIING MORE!!

As a side note, I wish people here would give opinions based upon their own personal experiences, and then let the reader decide.

Glad its worked out, but I for one must NOT diet when this happens to me. The minute I panic over a bit of weight and go "right, I'm going to eat nothing for four days" is when I start binging like crazy. I am the worlds worst dieter, the mere mention of the word sends me to the pantry to stockpile enough sugar and fat to get me through the famine.

I just have to take a deep breath, go "OK, so you've gained 4 pounds" and just get back to my REGULAR habits. Not extreme ones. No five day pouch test or anythign crazy like that. Those sorts of fad diets just make me ten times worse. And I keep busy. For me, being at home equals eating. I must have something engaging enough to keep my thoughts away from food. Seriously, the biggest achievement of my entire life is having been home for the last year and not working and not having gained 30lb. I cannot wait to go back to full time work in a week!

So for me, I dont hope to lose that extra weight I gained in a day or two. I look at it as a month long thing, through moderate means.

Jachut

I agree with you the same thing doesnt work for everyone. I look at it not as a diet but almost like a detox. After eating bad things I have to do that for a couple of days to get myself back on track. Plus I firmly believe that you do have to shake up your metabolism every now and then. As B52 said in his post, I read all the advice everyone gives on here and see what wroks for me. I think everyone has different motivators.

I am very pleased to hear the results of all that skiing! Woot woot! I always say, take the best and leave the rest. What works for me, may work for you, it may not. Then again, it might work for someone else, so it is out there!

I am more like Jachut when I return form a trip. I just go back to my normal eating habits. Any gain I post will come off in a few days to a week or two. But each of us needs to find the right balance. I've been maintaining for about two years now, I know it will work. I don't go into a panic when I return and see a little gain. I am sure I did the first couple of times. But that is history for me.

Congrats on the extra pounds gone, THAT is super!!! Like B-52 said, BACK TO THE SLOPES!!!!