Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Lapband...is It Worth It?

You can still eat too much of the wrong thing on the lapband, so this surgery won't magically make you stop being addicted to food. I can still eat a whole block of chocolate easy. But the band CAN stop you from over-eating in general if you're prepared to eat well. Protein takes longer to go down, so a balanced, healthy diet will mean you probably will eat small amounts. And only once you're restricted.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is: it's worth the risk IF you are ready to make a lifestyle change along with having the band. The band can help you with Portion Control but it will not stop you putting too many calories in your mouth. If you're ready to make some changes, then yes, IMO lapband surgery is completely and totally worth it. If you're not ready, it won't be worth it.

I have a friend who got banded a year ago who did it because she saw how much success I had with my band. She still eats chocolates and cookie dough and ice cream, and has only lost just over 20lbs in a year. She doesn't want to go for fills, she doesn't like being restricted and unable to eat as much as she likes, and therefore she hasn't lost any weight of significance. Ad she resents the lack of success she's had. But at the same time, she knows the changes I made and isn't prepared to make similar changes. To me, if you're going to have that mindset, don't get the band. It's not worth it.

But if you really want to lose weight, are prepared to put in the effort required to lose weight, the lapband makes it exponentially easier. So you have to decide if it's worth the risk, weighing all of that up.

We all see where hard work got you...looking AMAZING!! Im ready!

I'm defensive b/c you said: Fluffy, why do you believe your band failed?

That to me indicates that you think that I am too stupid to know if my band failed or not. I "believe" it failed b/c I had 17 fills and no restriction. If that doesn't qualify as band failure, I don't know what does!

No, I believe band failure terminology is: 1) losing less than 25-30% of your excess weight or 2) having complications that require removal of the band.

I think you never reached restriction, but you lost weight with your band and you're unhappy that you didn't get it "easy" like other people did. You never deny that you lost weight, just that the band didn't work as you expected it to and you had to diet and exercise. Don't you think that most of the people on here STILL diet and exercise even with the band???!!!

So, please ask yourself the following questions:

What is the point of getting the lapband? To lose weight.

Did you lose weight? yes

Looks like you did both, did you not? There are people who REALLY failed, who didn't lose more than 25-30% of their weight or did have to get the band removed. Why don't you end your pity party and actually provide support for those people and not go around moaning about how the Lapband never got you to restriction? Isn't that always the point of your posts, to complain that the people who failed need the most support? You are providing them no support whatsoever. In fact, you are deceiving these new people that don't bother to look at the blog you posted or the Facebook group you're a part of into thinking you didn't lose weight. Frankly, that's extremely sad and I hope someday you find peace with whatever your problem seems to be.

On any site their is going to be neg and pos post. We have to keep in mind its part of life. I hope that those who are interested in having lap band surgery do their own research. Yes, it is a life long commitment. It takes work to get thru the bumps in the road. Protein intake, Water intake, Vitamins. I am still adjusting and will have success. Down 50lbs or so and more to come. Looking forward to a healthy long life with my family. Wishing everyone a wonderful NEW YEAR!!!!

:)

Crystal

Like everything, some will hate something, others will love it. This thread is a good example of that. I can tell you how much I love my band, but that's me. Fluffy obviously doesn't, and that's her. I personally don't think it's support to tell someone what you believe and expect them to believe it themselves, and I'd like to think that Fluffy knows the difference, coz I sure do. All you can do is relate your own personal experience, perhaps quote some well researched and objective statistics (who's laughing with me at this point?) and hope the person you're offering advice to gains some insight from you.

In the end, everyone has to make their own, preferably informed decision. I am proof it works. Fluffy believes she's proof it doesn't. Oh well, only you can decide if it's worth the risk that you'll be one of the ones for whom it works. And oddly enough, I don't see any statistics that prove that for MOST people, it doesn't work, and that for all those "people", it is directly related to band failure instead of user error, so take from that what you will. You will always have supporters and detractors, in EVERYTHING.

In Australia the lapband has been used for over 15 years and still remains the WLS of choice for most. That sounds pretty long term to me. Just saying.

Ibelieve it's worth it !

I know I have NO Regrets.

and I have weight loss under my belt.

Still a long way to go, but slow, and easy wins the race.

No, I believe band failure terminology is: 1) losing less than 25-30% of your excess weight or 2) having complications that require removal of the band.

I think you never reached restriction, but you lost weight with your band and you're unhappy that you didn't get it "easy" like other people did. You never deny that you lost weight, just that the band didn't work as you expected it to and you had to diet and exercise. Don't you think that most of the people on here STILL diet and exercise even with the band???!!!

Did you lose weight? yes

Looks like you did both, did you not? There are people who REALLY failed, who didn't lose more than 25-30% of their weight or did have to get the band removed. Why don't you end your pity party and actually provide support for those people and not go around moaning about how the Lapband never got you to restriction? Isn't that always the point of your posts, to complain that the people who failed need the most support? You are providing them no support whatsoever. In fact, you are deceiving these new people that don't bother to look at the blog you posted or the Facebook group you're a part of into thinking you didn't lose weight. Frankly, that's extremely sad and I hope someday you find peace with whatever your problem seems to be.

Did you lose weight? yes

Looks like you did both, did you not? There are people who REALLY failed, who didn't lose more than 25-30% of their weight or did have to get the band removed. Why don't you end your pity party and actually provide support for those people and not go around moaning about how the Lapband never got you to restriction? Isn't that always the point of your posts, to complain that the people who failed need the most support? You are providing them no support whatsoever. In fact, you are deceiving these new people that don't bother to look at the blog you posted or the facebook group you're a part of into thinking you didn't lose weight. Frankly, that's extremely sad and I hope someday you find peace with whatever your problem seems to be.

Funny I thought you said you weren't posting to me anymore? Oh well, maybe that was someone else I was thinking of.

Well you certainly did an interesting job of JUDGING me and making up MY story! lol.

So many inaccuracies..........where do I begin. Lets start with the 2 band failures. Yes those are considered failures. However NOT getting restriction is a band failure also. Why would any of us had gotten a band, if there were not to be restriction involved?

Yes, I am unhappy that I never got it off easy like some others. What was advertised to me, and what I bought was a Lap-Band that was suppose to cause me to get full sooner and stay full longer. You know..that saiety thing. Well it never happend so of course I am unhappy about that . Who wouldn't be?

Do I think that most ppl on here stil diet and exercise? Of course I do. However I can guarantee you that none of them got the band to lose weight ONLY by diet and exercise. I expected to do my part, but I didn't expect to pay $15,000 to lose weight ONLY by dieting and being hungry all the time!

~What is the point of getting the lapband? To lose weight.

Did you lose weight? yes

Looks like you did both, did you not? There are people who REALLY failed~

Of course the object is to lose weight. Of course I lost weight. Did I fail? No. Did the band fail? Yes.

Do you honestly believe that someone researching the band does not have a right to know up front that someone can get a band and never reach restriction???? Because that is how it appears when I post about it and get ATTACKED!

~Why don't you end your pity party and actually provide support for those people and not go around moaning about how the Lapband never got you to restriction?~

Here we go again. Very condesending............let's attack the one that posts that her band failed. Not very becoming of you!

By me telling my story those with the same problem know who they can turn to if they have that problem. So I am there to support.

~you are deceiving these new people that don't bother to look at the blog you posted or the facebook group you're a part of into thinking you didn't lose weight.~

Never have I stated I have not lost weight. I have deceived no one! My losing weight is irrelevent. I wasted my money on the band and now have it in me doing NOTHING! Therefore I have every right to be angry. I lost my weight ONLY by dieting!

Now If I bought a car so I would have reliable transportation to work, and then the car would only drive one block and break down........but I got to work b/c I took a taxi the rest of the way...............WOULD THAT MEAN THAT MY CAR WORKED??? After all.................I bought it. I drove it. And I got to work. Not because of the car..............but inspite of it! See where this is going?!

But thanks for the "interesting" interpretation of *my* life! ;-)

I am done trying to reason and am sorry to those who think I've been fueling the fire.

@54Shirley: How exactly do you go about putting someone on that block list so you won't see their posts?

Edit: Never mind, found the ignore preferences.

Is the band worth it?

For me, yes! I paid $9995 and it was worth every penny. There have been a few tiny bumps in the road along the way, but nothing too bad. I dropped 100 pounds in the first year with very little effort on my part. I went from a size 24 jeans to a size 10 now. I was wearing size 2X scrubs for work and they were very tight. I really needed a 3X. Now I wear size small scrubs! I feel so much better! There are so many things I can do now that the weight is gone ......cut and paint my toenails, get up in my husbands 4x4 without tons of effort and grunting, feel great about how clothes fit .....

So, yes yes yes, it is so worth it!

Okay, THIS has been the most interesting and informative thread I have read on here yet. I am going through the process of getting the band right now (nutritionist meetings, sleep study, etc..). After reading so many positive things about the band I was wondering if these posts were being sensored. I have received completely unrelated surgeries before and have gone in knowing that there is a possibility that the surgery will fail. NO surgery is a guarantee.

Fluffy, I am glad that you finally told a part of your story on this thread (though it took some prodding from others). I knew from the doctors and this webpage that it is possible to never lose and even to gain weight after being banded because of my own failure. I had never considered that the LapBand may not give me restriction at all.

Fluffy, how many ccs are in your band right now?

After reading the previous posts, I feel like jumping in again! I too didn't really know what REAL restriction was, for the first 5-6 fills, my fills were so small to try to find the sweet spot, that I didn't feel restriction at all. The only time I felt real restriction was when I ate a whole sub roll with all the meats, cheeses and veggies. Yes...I could still eat the whole thing but would force myself to only eat HALF! LOL. When I went to my last two fills and told them what I was able to eat, they gave a larger fill and then the last fill, we found the sweet spot. That was after a year on the lap band! I had only lost about 40lbs in the year, which I thought was horrible, but they were pleased with my results. Since being at the sweet spot, I've lost another 30 in 6 months and can feel the restriction.

Marzee...one thing that I decided to do was to keep the surgery low key. Only my husband knew that I had the surgery, and to this day, only a handful of friends and my sister know. At first I didn't tell anyone until I knew I would qualify for the surgery, then I was embarrassed that I couldn't do it myself, and then I realized, it was MY journey, people don't need to know everything! I didn't want to constantly hear about my weight and to have people question my food choices. I just felt it was something I didn't want to announce to the world. People know I eat smaller portions and see me exercising and they just give compliments. I've told my friends who I go out to dinner with consistently and have traveled with without my husband so that someone knows. I know there are many who tell everyone, but I feel that by not telling many, it made the decision easier for me and living with it makes the weight loss about what I am doing for myself. It's a tool, but will be one of many tools that you use to lose the weight and keep it off. :) Good luck!

Everything you are thinking is normal. Deciding to have the lap band is a process. I know I had to come to terms with it and finally decided (after a year) that it was what I needed to do. I know it definitely won't be easy, but it's worth the challenge and I don't plan to look back now! I am scheduled for surgery on the 19th and as it gets closer I am nervous but excited. Think it over and weigh out what it encompasses and then make your decision. Just remember we are stronger than we think. I will let you know that this site is a god send and you will get the support you need. best wishes!

I am done trying to reason and am sorry to those who think I've been fueling the fire.

@54Shirley: How exactly do you go about putting someone on that block list so you won't see their posts?

Edit: Never mind, found the ignore preferences.

Go to your settings, then click on "IGNORE PREFERENCES" Then enter the name, and it will be on the list.

If you get email reminders though, It can possibley come threw there, but you can always DELETE that person.