Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering the lap band procedure. I have a hiatal hernia.......will this cause issues???

No. Most surgeons fix the hernia when they put the band on. My doctor said it is very common and an easy fix. Hope this helps!

Thanks!!

many of us have a hernia. did not cause any problems!

my hernia was huge, makes me wonder how I was able to breathe???

Not at all! In fact my band was placed in June and they found a hiatal hernia while doing the procedure. They took a picture of it, fixed it and I was finished. I will say this though, it did give me almost a pulling sensation in the left side of my face as if a nerve was being pulled into my chest when I tried to lay down.

It was really irritating and kind of painful but I later noticed my acid reflux was gone. I had a problem on and off with acid and later read that hiatal hernias can be the cause of some acid problems. No more living on Tums for me :-)

I have that condition as well. As far as I know my Dr did NOT fix it while I was getting banded and I never did ask about it. Oh well. I guess I will find out when I get my next scheduled EGD.

I did not know that I had a hiatal hernia until I had my lap band done. My surgeon found and fixed it the same day of my lap band surgery.

Large (over 1.5") hiatal hernias can be a contraindication for band surgery, but I know several bandsters who had huge hernias that were repaired during band placement and haven't caused any problems since then. When I had my band surgery, I already knew I had a hiatal hernia and was glad when my surgeon told me he'd repair it when placing my band. In my first post-op visit, I asked him about it and he said, "No, it was too small to fix." Huh? I have to wonder if he was in too much of a hurry to do it, and since he lost his medical license, I'll probably never know why. Anyway, I had a band slip at 21 months post-op and my current surgeon thinks my hernia might have contributed to it. So the moral of the story is: be assertive about getting your hernia repaired so it won't cause you problems later on.

I had a hiatial hernia which was causing me to have acid reflux. It was fixed during surgery and the acid reflux was gone. What a pleasure not to take Nexium. Just an added bonus to the surgery.

Linda, Please listen to my advice carefully:

I was almost exact height and weight of you. I have been having my Hernia for 15 years now. I have been living on Prevacid and Nixum since then. I had my lap band on 4/19/2011. After the 3rd fill , I started to get chocked easily eating any meat, so I thought that I am at the right fill. Unfortunately, I never felt full and did not lose any weight since my surgery. At the beginning, I thought that something wrong with me, my band is good but I just cannot feel full. I can eat 2 big bowls of Soup w/o feeling full. Finally my kids convinced me to go back and see my doctor because there is something wrong for sure. He wanted me to do two tests, upper GI and upper EGD. To my surprise, I found out that I have no restriction at all from my band. Now I am waiting to do my EGD. So, what is causing food getting stuck when I eat meat if my band is not even full enough?? Now I am sure it has something to do with my Hernia since the food I eat goes directly to the band and get stuck there. I am very disappointed with my doctor even he is one of the top in my area. When I asked him why he did not fix my hernia, he said it was not big enough. This does not make any sense because if I miss only one pill of Prevacid, I will have the worst heartburn in the world. I was even scheduled to do the Hernia surgery 13 years ago but it was canceled due to pregnancy.

My final advice: Tell your doctor that you have Hernia and make sure he fixes it for you before you go through the pain that I am going through now.

Best of luck