Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

can i ask?? why is it so important to have this amount of Protein so soon after surgery??

Protein is key to cell generation, so it's important to get enough protein so that your body can heal the trauma caused by the surgery (ie, your incisions and all the tissues that got bumped and bruised during the surgery).

Well, Fellow February bandsters, hope everyone who has had the surgery is now on the banded side and on the road to recovery! I am 3.5 weeks post op, but having some trouble now that I'm on pureed foods. I get a terrible pain in my throat/upper chest after 5-6 tiny bites of my pureed foods, like applesauce, mashed potatoes, or pureed chicken, even yogurt. It started about a week ago, when I started pureed foods. I called the surgeon's office and they think they left some fill (air) in the band from surgery. So I have to go in on Tuesday at 2:15 and they will un-fill it! Yikes! I'm a little scared! Plus I have to go back to mostly warm liquids over the weekend. (NOOOOOOOO! Super-yuck!) They did say my symptoms seemed to indicate a partial fill, because it just became noticeable when I went on pureed foods about a week ago. They said also try canned chicken or tuna which are very soft and mushy. The pureed (real) chicken gets too hard and stringy for some people to tolerate. Too bad for me- chicken is my FAVORITE food! Oh well, I'd rather be losing weight than worrying about chicken!

I came home lastnight, against medical advice. They removed 2 cc's of fuild from my band. I felt better instantly. They wanted me to stay because I was dehydrated. I figured now that I could drink I didnt need to stay with an iv.

I hope you are feeling better today...thinking of you!

Congrats to all us FEB bansters !!!

we are on our way to a very healthy life....

I do want to share...I have not told to many that I had lap band just cuz I know many will not understand....but I did tell ones who I thought would be happy for me and would understand...most have been very supportive. Untill last night one girl I had told and even at the time seened very shocked asking WHY WOUD YOU DO THAT....i wanted to say....have you seen my size lately...well last night I ran into her again and the first thing she says to me is.....SO ARE YOU SORRY YOU DID IT YET....omygoodness I was dumb founded.....and I told her I couldnt be happier...,I was so upset with her question I didnt get into it but after we parted I so wish I had stayed and explained to her how long I recurched this and how long I waited to be able to get it....well wait till i see her again.....

and might I add I told her to begine with because she also is very heavy and I wanted to let her know...we can get help....oh well...thanks for letting me vent....

I have had a similar experience with a very dear friend who actually had the original bariatric surgical procedure years ago. She told me that the 2 people who she knew who had the band actually asked to have it removed, and cautioned me to do additional research before moving forward with the surgery. I know that she was looking out for my best interests...and I did share with her that I had done my "homework" and felt comfortable with my decision.

I'm still not "out of the woods" yet with my surgery, however I am motivated and comitted to regaining my health. Will continue to take one day at a time...and eventually know that I will be successful. For me, that's what it will take for success...continue to surround yourself with positive people who will encourage you and not try to discourage you. Just my honest opinion...:)

I hope you are feeling better today...thinking of you!

Carole I am feeling much much better! Thanks so much!

So, I've been stalking the February bandsters posts to see what to expect... I have my surgery in April.

Dee- do you think your friend might be jealous? It takes a lot of courage, planning, and determination to have the surgery. She might be feeling bad for not doing it herself and either trying to rain on your parade or see how you cope. Just a thought.

Sounds like you are off to a good start...and you are not alone with not coping well with pain. I have had some excessive pain, especially in my left shoulder which my pain meds did nothing to help. I found pacing around the house helped to "get things moving" inside so that the gas pressures were able to be much less painful. A heating pad on my shoulder helped also.

I am now a week out from my surgery, and am feeling better every day...I'm certain you will, too. Pace yourself, and just take a day at a time...

Thanks for the words! Today is much better than yesterday, I have been up walking around the house trying to get the gas to disipate. My dog is very irritated at me though because I am up more and not taking her to play. My friend is coming over after work and we are gonna go for a walk so that could be helpful to getting the gas pain down.

Just a progress update... Was banded Wed @ 10am. Every day is getting easier. The shoulder pain was all I was really feeling- both left and right. The pain Meds took the edge off and let me sleep. I'm much better today. Just dull aches now. Can't fit more than 1 shake in tho, I'm still working on it! Hang in there banders!

I came home lastnight, against medical advice. They removed 2 cc's of fuild from my band. I felt better instantly. They wanted me to stay because I was dehydrated. I figured now that I could drink I didnt need to stay with an iv.

...good on you... let us know how you feel after being home a while.

So, I've been stalking the February bandsters posts to see what to expect... I have my surgery in April.

Dee- do you think your friend might be jealous? It takes a lot of courage, planning, and determination to have the surgery. She might be feeling bad for not doing it herself and either trying to rain on your parade or see how you cope. Just a thought.

and i agree with this comment. Even friends can react strangely . i have a younger friend than myself. i mentioned to her two years ago about trying for lap band surgery and she got quite offended. all because she was obese and wasnt having the surgery. i dont think she was prepared to take on board everything that this surgery entails, but she was still offended at me. My weight is nowhere near as bad as hers but my arthritis is chronic ... so people can be non supportive, even if they are close to you.

My recommendation for evey future lapbander... GET A RECLINER BEFORE SURGERY! I didn't think about what I would need to keep myslef comfy after surgery I just worried about making sure I had the right food. I borrowed a recliner from my mother so I'm hoping tonight will be a restful night. The gas is worse then the incisions.... oh taking about incisions 1 of my small ones cracked open Dr Dietrick says this is okay to just keep it dry. I do not regret my choice to have this surgery I just wish the gas pain was easier to deal with...

I'm also a February Bandster. Any partners in the Phoenix area (specifically Chandler)?

To my fellow Feb bansters, I have started a Protein drink/shake board in the food and Nutrition section, I would love if you all visited the page and either gained some knowledge or leave some knowledge, so we can grow and have variety in our beverages since some of us can get board pretty easy.... :P

Have a great night...

here is the link to the topic...

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/143134-protien-drinks-with-less-than-5-grams-of-sugar-or-fat-20-50-grams-of-protien/

My recommendation for evey future lapbander... GET A RECLINER BEFORE SURGERY! I didn't think about what I would need to keep myslef comfy after surgery I just worried about making sure I had the right food. I borrowed a recliner from my mother so I'm hoping tonight will be a restful night. The gas is worse then the incisions.... oh taking about incisions 1 of my small ones cracked open Dr Dietrick says this is okay to just keep it dry. I do not regret my choice to have this surgery I just wish the gas pain was easier to deal with...

i agree that a recliner is a good way to go.. we dont have one.. im going to set myself up in my single bed with lots of pillows, hopefully that will work for me.

i agree that a recliner is a good way to go.. we dont have one.. im going to set myself up in my single bed with lots of pillows, hopefully that will work for me.

I tried that the first night and when i woke up I was in so much pain, my back was stiff and around 4am I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep. I hope it works better for you