Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had My Surgery December 19th!

I am two weeks out from a crazy lot of surgery: Corset Abdominaplasty (a kind of tummy tuck), lower body lift and silicone breast implants. Today is my first day back at work and I'm feeling great, but still a little sore. I was really worried about being able to be back to work in two weeks, but it was no problem (office job) -- I probably could have been back last Wednesday after the drains came out. I'm thrilled with the results in my tummy and breasts, but still waiting to see how the lower body lift works out after the swelling goes down more. I'm happy to answer any questions about the surgery or recovery. I've noticed that most posts are from people getting single procedures, so I thought there might be some interest in what it's like to have several at once.

Some info:

- I was banded in february 2007 and lost a little over 100 lbs -- currently just inside the "normal" range for my height.

- The surgery took 5-6 hours and I spent two nights in the hospital

- I had four drains that were removed 9 days post-op (could have been done 7 days, but the holidays got in the way).

- I was on Morphine for two days in the hospital, percocet for 3 days at home, then switched to nucyntra (narcotic without the side effects) for another few days. At about 10 days out, I switched to advil and I'm still taking them, but can skip the one in the middle of the night without too much problem.

- It took me two days to be able to walk around and five days until I could walk a mile (slowly) on the treadmill. I'm going to start walking daily on the treadmill today (increasing speed and incline over time) until my doctor gives the go-ahead to get back to spinning and weight lifting.

Happy to answer any questions!

congrats on your plastics. I had a virtual consult with Dr Quiroz in Mexico. He wants to do a lower body lift, Lipo on thighs, and inner thigh lift...all at same time, if there is enough time. I think it is too much to do at once, but I would hate to have to wait another year to get my thighs done. When you say you had lower body lift, did your surgeon make incision all the way around?? Some people say lower body lift, but only have tummy tuck...so just curious. I have all summer off, so planning on going to MX around June 20 or so...I still need to schedule my appt. I am planning on staying there for 10-12 days...hoping that drains and stitches will be gone before flying back home!! Glad to hear you are back at work after 2 weeks...I was worried the 8 wks I would have off wouldn't be enough time for recovery...lol ;)

Yep, definitely had the real lower body lift -- full circumferential incision. And since I had a corset abdominaplasty, I have an incision from just below my chest, straight down to the one that goes around my middle. I had Lipo on my thighs and auto augmentation on my bum -- that's where they take some of the fat left over from the body lift and put it back on your tush to maintain your curves.

I still don't have my stitches out, so I don't know if you will be in MX long enough for that or not. I'm guessing your flight back will be pretty uncomfortable after just 12 days, but I could have done it so you'll probably be ok. What does your doctor say about travelling so soon?

I am two weeks out from a crazy lot of surgery: Corset Abdominaplasty (a kind of tummy tuck), lower body lift and silicone breast implants. Today is my first day back at work and I'm feeling great, but still a little sore. I was really worried about being able to be back to work in two weeks, but it was no problem (office job) -- I probably could have been back last Wednesday after the drains came out. I'm thrilled with the results in my tummy and breasts, but still waiting to see how the lower body lift works out after the swelling goes down more. I'm happy to answer any questions about the surgery or recovery. I've noticed that most posts are from people getting single procedures, so I thought there might be some interest in what it's like to have several at once.

Some info:

- I was banded in february 2007 and lost a little over 100 lbs -- currently just inside the "normal" range for my height.

- The surgery took 5-6 hours and I spent two nights in the hospital

- I had four drains that were removed 9 days post-op (could have been done 7 days, but the holidays got in the way).

- I was on Morphine for two days in the hospital, percocet for 3 days at home, then switched to nucyntra (narcotic without the side effects) for another few days. At about 10 days out, I switched to advil and I'm still taking them, but can skip the one in the middle of the night without too much problem.

- It took me two days to be able to walk around and five days until I could walk a mile (slowly) on the treadmill. I'm going to start walking daily on the treadmill today (increasing speed and incline over time) until my doctor gives the go-ahead to get back to spinning and weight lifting.

Happy to answer any questions!

I am just starting my journey, but the thought of what I am going to do with the extra skin in a couple of years has crossed my mind. I am just curious if you had to pay for all the procedures or if your insurance covered any part of it. Also if you don’t mind me asking how much did you have to pay for the procedures?

I did have to pay for all my surgery. I didn't even try to get insurance to cover it because I knew, in my case, there was no medical necessity. There are some people I have seen online who have been able to justify it to their insurance companies (at least partially). You should definitely reach out to them and see what their secrets are.

The costs in my case were substantial. I live in Richmond VA and had a top surgeon here do the work. The total cost for all of my procedures was about $26K. I'm thinking about having a thigh-lift in about a year which would add another ~$10K, but I'm not sure I will do it.

My advice for now is to stay hyper-focused on eating right and exercising every day. The results I achieved from the Lap Band are WAY more dramatic than what I will get from the plastic surgery. I'm excited about these recent changes, but the real life-changing event for me was getting banded. The rest is just icing on the cake. Best of luck with your weight loss!

My turn is coming soon.

Any suggestions to make the first week smooth? things I should get in the house?

Thanks Tazzyinheels

congrats on your plastics. I had a virtual consult with Dr Quiroz in Mexico. He wants to do a lower body lift, Lipo on thighs, and inner thigh lift...all at same time, if there is enough time. I think it is too much to do at once, but I would hate to have to wait another year to get my thighs done. When you say you had lower body lift, did your surgeon make incision all the way around?? Some people say lower body lift, but only have tummy tuck...so just curious. I have all summer off, so planning on going to MX around June 20 or so...I still need to schedule my appt. I am planning on staying there for 10-12 days...hoping that drains and stitches will be gone before flying back home!! Glad to hear you are back at work after 2 weeks...I was worried the 8 wks I would have off wouldn't be enough time for recovery...lol wink.png

I hate to ask you this, but have you really checked out your doctor? I have heard horrible things about him. I have a friend who almost died from your doctor's malpractice. He put her in a taxi cab after her plastic surgery and sent her alone to a hotel. She was very ill. She tried called him and he wouldn't respond. I have seen what he's done to others. I would really really advise you to be 1000% sure before you trust your surgery to this doctor. I had my surgery done in Mexico, but not with your doctor. I was in the hospital following my surgery. I had a LBL/Anchor Cut TT/extended thigh lift with lipo and brachioplasty. My surgery was done under epidural and it took close to 12 hours. I stayed 4 days longer and had a total face lift including neck and eyelid lift. My doctor takes you to a hotel nearby and his RN visits you daily to help with your shower and dressing changes. He visits every evening. It's all inclusive including your airfar and hotel if your surgery costs $7K or more. I'm very serious about having concerns with your surgeon. Go to Obesityhelp.com and ask for their opinions there. There are many on the plastic surgery forum who have either gone to him or know of patients who have and they can direct you to more information. Good Luck!

Tazzy: It depends on what you are getting done. I've heard from folks just getting a Tummy Tuck that a recliner really helped. For me, the multiple surgeries meant I was most comfortable in bed, propped up with pillows (including a wedge) and with a pillow under my knees. I needed help getting out of bed the first couple of days home. Once it came time to shower, I needed help getting out of the compression garment. I also needed DH to hold the drains while I showered.

I guess what I'm saying is that I mainly needed someone to be there to help me. In terms of "things" to have around the house, there was nothing critical -- but I'll tell you a few things I liked to have. 1) lots of pillows and blankets (I was cold all the time); 2) a big cup of Water with a cover and straw (I felt dehydrated and wanted to move as little as possible); 3) a gentle-sounding timer to remind me to take my meds (I used the one on my iPhone); 4) a little pill holder (small bowl) to keep my next dose in by my bed - just in case DH wasn't around when my timer went off; 5) a box or two of gauze pads to put between the compression garment and my skin over the incisions if they got a little weepy or damp from the shower (I prefered the ones that were covered like the absorbent part of a band-aid because they didn't stick to the incision) -- it really sucks when your compression garment gets stuck to your incision; 6) something to watch TV/movies on from the bed. I used my iPad constantly to watch Netflix (no, I don't work for Apple, despite sounding like a commercial). 7) A couple of pairs of really big sweatpants and extra-big sweatshirts that zip up the front -- for the first week, I wore my husbands pj bottoms because even my "big" sweats put pressure on the incisions. Baggy sweatshirts with pockets help conceal the drains when you are around other people.

Let me know if you have more questions. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestions. I have help planned for the first week (my niece) then I have good neighbors and friends but don't want to impose if I don't have to. So I am trying to get my stuff organized. I appreciate your help. Tazzy

Thanks for the suggestions. I have help planned for the first week (my niece) then I have good neighbors and friends but don't want to impose if I don't have to. So I am trying to get my stuff organized. I appreciate your help. Tazzy

If you're doctor is one who uses drains, I'd suggest getting several Lanyards. I had two that I attached together for my drains. My last surgery - I had 11 drains. I used two for my shower and two during the day. It makes it much easier if you have something to hang your drains on.,