Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breaking Up With Food/liquid Diet

i have been on the pre opt diet for almost 2 weeks and getting close to my surgery date (JAN 4th) and this liquid diet has made me realize how much food is a part of my life and how much of an emotional eater i have been. i have literally broken down into tears a few times because of the emotional impact of this diet. it may have a lot to due with the fact that my liquid diet started dec 22 so it has gone on through the holidays and seeing everyone eat together and seeing all the joy that it brings to them made me a bit nostalgic. its been tough but also an eye opener to realize that i am so attached to food and to realize all the feelings that it can bring about. i didn't realize how emotional this journey was going to be. and i guess in any other emotional situation i would recruit to food but this time i can't and i think that is why i had a few break downs, because i can no longer find comfort and consolation in food and that brings me a since of loneliness ( as pathetic as that might sound) but i guess now is when i start the journey of realizing that food wasnt or shouldnt be the solution to an emotional situation but the problem. so its time to end this bad relationship and break up with food.

anyone else have emotional reaction to the diet or post lap band ?

comments?

:)

you are soooo not by yourself...I was just talking to my mother about this today and she looked at me like I was crazy. I too was truly attached to food. I didnt realize the relationship I had with food until I was forced to start Optifast on 12/9. I recieved my lapband on 12/22 and the emotional roller coaster ride has only just begun. I am sooo happy that the holidays are over, so I dont have to hide and cry when my family sits down and eats their feast. I am hoping things will get better soon as I approach the next phase of mushies in about 4 days. Yes I actually have a countdown :)...Good Luck and just know that your not alone :)

I know how you feel. I had my surgery on December 22 and the holidays have been really difficult for me. I am an emotional eater just like you. I don't know how many times I have wanted to eat something and realized I can't anymore. It's a difficult adjument and you are trying to stop years of emotional eating. It is something you will get through. I've had days were I would have done anything to have chinese food or even a cheeseburger. But I have to remind myself that it has taken years to get to where I am, and it's going to take time to change it. I wish you luck and try to remember it's not something you will change over night. It will take a long time to stop the bad habbits you've had for a long time.

I can really relate to this. Thanks for posting! I too am starting to realize how much food has played in my life and been a crutch to my emotions. I get banded January 19th and as it get closer I have my head more in the game. Everytime I feel like running the other way I remember that my current lifestyle is not healthy at all! There is so much I want to do. I NEED this change. I have a small but strong support group of friends and family. Keep venting it helps others know they are not alone! Happy New Year! It's gong to be great!

I'm over a year out from being banded and I still have the emotional attachment to food. At home I use a small plate and that helps make the food look normal on the plate - but at others houses they use big plates so it becomes obvious I'm eating much less than others. I try to talk more so I can stretch out the food I have on my plate. It's a learning process so don't get discouraged. The improvement in my health and the fact I get shocked when I go clothes shopping and have to buy a smaller size is worth not stuffing my face with food to make others feel better! Good luck - Linda

Thanks everyone good to know we are in this together. I am actually in the hospital right now I got banded this morning imfeeling great just chose to stay over night because I live 4 hrs away didn't want to ride back today

Thanks everyone good to know we are in this together. I am actually in the hospital right now I got banded this morning imfeeling great just chose to stay over night because I live 4 hrs away didn't want to ride back today

Just follow the rules of making sure you get your liquids in - sip - sip - sip....don't be surprised if you feel hunger as I was! Some doctors now put in a small amount of saline in the band - some don't....you may not feel hunger. Any questions you have don't hesitate to ask as someone has had the experience I'm sure of that! BTW - I hope you brought your pillow to hold againist you on the ride home! Your ride may vary - but it really helped me! Good luck on the journey to better health! Linda

awww this was my post about a year ago :) its been a wonderful journey i've learned soo much and have gone through so much and probably still have a lot to learn and go through thank you lapband talk family for being there and for your wonderful words

post-325242-13813140877244_thumb.jpg

You look beautiful!

Fabulous!

Congratulations on a successful year!