Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Do U Say.....

I feel proud that i made the choice to get banded. It feels right! Heres the issue when i tell people that im having weightloss surgery, they say things like y you dont need it. Just workout and diet. Its seems as though people dont understand. Plus when i hear those things it makes me doubt if im doin the right choice. What do i do just not say anything. Im a little ova 24hrs away from new life new me. Do need any bad thoughts. Bad mojo

I really hate it when I tell someone and they say, " Oh, you really need to be careful." Ok so you think I decided to undergo surgery lightly? I have decided that I will tell some and some I will just not because I don't need the negativity. I go to surgery on tue 3rd when do you go?

jdunn- have any of those people that tell you not do it lost over 100lbs? Don't let people get you down. My husband and I were banded 2 weeks ago and we both are thrilled with our results thus far. It's a complete life change. If this is what you want, no one else's opinion matters.

I am actually wondering the same thing. What do people say that have been banded? I have been told I don't need it, just diet and excersice, taking the easy way out... just a lot of things I don't really want to hear and I don't know how to respond to it.

I only told my fiancé, my mom, and my brother. When people ask me how I'm losing weight I tell then with a lot of hard work- people don't need to know everything and chances are they will judge you- if they are critical of the surgery then they don't need to know about it- hence why my father and friends don't know

i told a few and they all were supportive or neutral. i didnt have any negative comments. if someone asks i just told them that my dr. and i had decided this was a good fit for me and that i was very comfy with MY decision. i was banded dec 13th, so far so good ! down 12 lbs, feel great. have my 1st post op check up and fill jan 9th. best of luck to you !!

I have only told the selected few that I was getting banded (I got banded on the 30th). I heard the same thing..."You don't need it...Eat better and work out..." blah...blah...blah! The truth is that I have struggled with my weight for a long time and I made the decision to have lap band surgery for me! As far as I am concerned it is my business! Do what feels right to you...ONLY YOU!! Best wishes and congratulations!!!

You have to choose what's right for you. I am pre-op, and I am waiting on a surgery date. I have only told 2 of my best friends about my decision to have the surgery. My husband ofcourse knows and supports my decision. I have struggled with my weight for over 10 years, and people always tell me that I'm not that big...or just work out and watch what you eat. Hello, I've been there and done that and have gone on every diet and taken every diet pill...and it hasn't worked. I am convinced that everything is not for everybody. Which is why I have kept my decision to myself for the most part. I don't want anyone trying to convince me not to do it. Believe me, I have weighed the pros and the cons, and my decision is based on my health and my desire to live a healthier and longer life. Stick with your decision and best of luck in you success:-)

i told a few people about my surgery and i would say 75% were supportive. i heard the whole you dont need surgery and just exercise and eat good bit too. well guess what i did exercise before my band and i ate right about 70% of the time and i still couldnt loose weight. bottom line is you have to do what's best for you. i didnt have high blood pressure, diabetes, joint pain or none of the things that are sometimes associated with being over weight, but those things run in my family. so i figured if i can invest in a luxury car, desinger purses and expensive hair styles, then i could invest in my health. now i have had some challenges with my band, but the good has definelty out weighted the bad.

i have choosen to ignore the negative ninnes and keep it move. after all this about me and no one else.

best wishes to you and feel free to PM me if you need support or have questions. i was banded in may of 2011.

jennifer

I've been an open book. It took a lot of thought and effort just to get to the point of surgery. I tell people that Lap Band is right for me. I've tried every diet in the book, only to gain back what I lost. I also tell them that it is a tool, not the complete answer. Fact is, I can still eat pretty normally. I have been banded three months and lost 20lbs. Slow and steady is my plan and I absolutely love my band. For the first time, I feel in control.

It is amazing how many posts I have read since signing on here, telling other people about your surgery, and receiving so many NEGATIVE comments.

I am so glad I kept it to myself, being my own personal business. I do not wish to be under other people's microscopes and graded all the time.

New people! Those considering this surgery, TAKE NOTE!!!!

And now, after I have lost this weight, people compliment me and want to know how I did it. I still won't tell them. I just say something like "I had no choice. Dr's Orders!"

So funny when people who are not 100 lbs overweight tell us what we should do.

I have only told a few people. We don't need to open our whole life to the world! We all know how much work it takes to make this work, it's not a miracle.

It has been the best decision I have ever made for myself. I was borderline diabetic, on meds. for depression, cholesterol, had pain in my knees... the list goes on. I feel 100% better and am getting rid of these problems.

I ( & I know a lot of you) want to be healthy. I want to ride a bike and swim (where people see me). I don't want to feel self conscious all the time about how I look.

Go for it, life is so much better!

We know what a big decision this is, we are overweight - not stupid!!!!!