Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hello my name is dyandra and i am 18 years old. i just had my lap band surgery on 12/28 wieghing 340. i am also 5'9.

now that i got that out of the way i was hoping i could get some replies with the issue im having. yes, i know i was addicted to food and i am basically going through withdrawl from not being able to eat. im starting to get kind of depressed and i was wondering if anything else went through this. i feel like i am never going to be able to eat again. never be able to go out to eat with my friends. i KNOW this is for the best and i really did want to get it done but i guess i under thought my mental readiness? for the surgery.

i hope im not the only one would is/went through this kind of thing.

if you can i would love to hear stories or how you got through it.

thanks

Dyandra

Dyandra, Congratulations on your decision to have the lap band. Yes, everybody goes through a bit of depression because food was your friend and now it's gone. Hey but wait....it's not gone. There's only less of it. Once you start getting that weight off, you will want to go out again. You can go out with your friends, just order an appetizer, fruit salad or a chef's salad and eat slowly. You'll be finished with it by the time they finish. With all the conversation and laughter, you'll be glad you took the time to go out to a restaurant again. I was banded Dec 12, so I don't know much about it except that I feel like it's the best thing that I've ever done. You will too when you shop for those smaller clothes. Good Luck.

I agree, there are many other people who go through the same thing. I haven't been banded yet but have spent quite a bit of time dealing with food issues. Maybe you can consider talking about it with a therapist. That's what I have been doing. I won't lie, it's not easy to deal with and I don't think it ever really goes away completely, but you can control it with the right tools. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is the thing that helped me the most. It will help teach you that those feelings are normal, and that it's ok to have them, and that even though your brain may be telling you that you will die without ice cream, you really won't. I wish you good luck, whatever your decision, and I will pray for you. You can do this!

Oh sweetie, I can totally relate. I'm 11 days post op, and was absolutely in tears the first four days. I spent Christmas day sitting drinking chicken broth while the rest of my family ate a huge breakfast! It was terrible. Like the PP said, it's definitely like saying good bye to an old friend. I've had food issues ever since I was 9. I lived with my Grandma and she bought me whatever kind of food that I wanted, which of course was pure junk being a kid! I remember the happiness I felt just sitting in front of the TV eating a whole bag of snack size Snickers! I'm now 32, and have dealt with food addiction ever since.

This is a very long journey that we have just started. Each day is going to get a little bit better. You are very young and quite pretty I might add, and you've made a wonderful decision for yourself!!! You'll definitely be able to eat again. Once you start to lose weight, your self esteem is going to sky rocket, and you won't look at food the same way.

I wish you the best, and if you feel like talking/venting or whatever, drop me an email at oliversmomma@live.com

Best of luck to you!!!!

thanks so much everyone <3

I can relate. I don't miss the food as much as I miss the convenience of eating what I want when I want, Just grabbing a burger in between my kids after school activities and work was so much easier. Now I have to actually plan what and when I am going to eat. I am currently in my heavy liquid stage and its slowly getting better, but it definitely takes more work then how I was living. We just have to know that what we are doing is the BEST in the end. I have actually noticed that I enjoy what I eat now, even if it is just strained Soup and yogurt lol. I used to eat an entire meal in 10 min, but now we have to slow down and we get to savor. Your doing great and it will all turn out fine.

I am 11 days ppost op. This is the hardest time of the year to be banded and we are bandssterbadassess for doing it this time of the year!! GO US! I have had my own issues as you have described. People look at me and expect for me to be shrinking every minute while they eat in front of me. I have found that I can still eat, just not as much. I went out to eat with family twice today. irst I went to the mexxican resturant. I ordered a kids plate of burrito w/ rice and Beans. Ate less than half of it. Tonight I went to a bbq house. I ordered a baked potatoe. and added some barbeque sauce and cheese to it to mush it up some. Life does not end just because we are banded. Make sure that you ask your surgeons office if they have a support group.. I know ours meets once a month but maybe if you can meet some people in your city your age that is going throug the same thing, it will help you. 18 is a hard age to do this. I hope you really thought about it but it will def be life changing for you..