Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question For Bandsters At Or Near Goal Weight

Specifically for those who had been overweight their whole lives...

I've been thinking about this for a long time, and I just have to ask. Have you had any problems emotionally dealing with being "thin" for the first time? I've been obese or morbidly obese for my whole adult life and most of my childhood, and I just can't wrap my head around what it would feel like to be a normal weight. I'm ready to be healthy, but I've never known what it was like to not be the "fat girl"...

Well I cant speak for everyone but I can tell you how I feel about it- GOOD!. I have heard of ppl still seeing themselves as fat even after they lose weight and others not being happy after losing, but I can tell you now I am one happy camper. I wouldnt consider myself "thin" yet, but I am smaller than I have ever been in my adult life and it sure does feel good. The energy level, the appearance, the ability to do things I really couldnt before are all a part of that happiness.

Just keep your attitude in check and be happy with every pound you lose. Have realistic expectations.

Happy New Year!

I, also, can't speak for anyone else. But, I am very happy to be thinner. I am not the smallest I have been my adult life. When I was in my 20's I was a lot smaller; but, I am the smaller now than I was for the last 35 years. I never liked being the "fat lady" and that was my motivation, finally, to do lapband. I have been on every diet you can think of, try predigested Protein, Slim fast, and weight watchers, etc. Nothing kept the weight off. This does, especially if you stick to it. No, I never regret having taken the step I took, and do not find it hard to be the thinner lady, now! Good luck, and Happy New Year!! Karen

Hi Caribear, its an emotional ride, all around like everyone said not speaking for anyone but me. But the first time you get some male attention due to the new you can be awkward. I was sitting in the Hot tub at the gym the other day and this good looking guy was checking me out I was a little freaked out at first. and wouldn't get up out of the hot tub, but it felt good to have someone look at me like I was attractive. It can be a mixed bag at times.

But when you feel physically better because of it thats the greatest part. Like more energy to play with your kids, better intimacy with your spouse, a cleaner house, cleaner neat clothes because you don't have to wear big giant things to cover up the weight, all a bit awkward and new but definitly awesome. Speaking for my self that is. Also the clarity in my head is amazing. Its incredible when you take out some of the junk that we tend to put in our bodies how cloudy our minds our. Good Luck and God Bless

I know what you mean. Even 3 yrs after reaching my weight goal, my inner fat girl sometimes takes over my brain. It's like my heart/mind/soul are having a hard time catching up to my new body. I was obese for 30 years and lost 90 lbs in only one year - no wonder I'm in shock!

Jean