Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I Guess I Failed Already ......

I don't agree with this. At least personally for me. I am trying to do this without fills. I am really trying to change my behaviors with both diet and exercise. To me it is important to see this as a lifestyle change and not just eat less because I am forced to. We all use this tool differently. I however, don't think that I am miserable without fills. I feel more empowered to be honest.

All the power to you if you choose to do this without fills, but I didn't go through all this preop crap for no fills! Sounds like whatever way you have chosen to do it, its working! :)

All the power to you if you choose to do this without fills, but I didn't go through all this preop crap for no fills! Sounds like whatever way you have chosen to do it, its working! smile.png

Amen! Why else would I have gone through all this? The band is adjustable. It was designed to get you to the "Green Zone" with the right amount of Fluid.

Plus, there has been a misconception on these boards over the last year that it is somehow better to have less fills than the next person, and someone who needs more in their band must somehow be in worst shape than someone with less?

THAT'S DANGEROUS!!! People need to get the treatment that is best for them. The band is adjustable and by it's very basic operating design it is intended to be filled with saline to get the individual to the proper place where it will work efficiently.

If 2 people had terminal cancer, is the one who takes less chemo better (or worse) off than the one who needs higher doses?

OH, I am right there with you....I was banded on 10/28 and lost 36 pounds by Thanksgiving. Of course I was on the liquid diet and never varied at all!! I had my first fill on 12/6 and thought it was awesome. For a week I was following the diet plan, exercising, etc. but no weight loss. Then came the holidays and all of the sugary junk I used to eat somehow kept going into my mouth. I called my doctor and have an appointment on 1/4. I am sure they are going to do another fill which mentally is helping me prepare to go at it again. I started exercising again in the past few days and slowly weaning myself all the sugary stuff. One thing I am beginning to accept it that I make wrong choices. I wish I didn't. I wish I was stronger, but I am not. So, with that acceptance I am trying not to beat myself up, get back to doing what I should, and let the chips fall where they may. Everyday that I put a little less in my mouth or make a better choice in food, I feel one step closer to a better me.To be honest, there are many reasons why I am overweight....my genes, my lack of self-control, and my lowered self-esteem. With that combination, nothing is going to be easy and it will always be a struggle. Fortunately, I feel my determination and stubborn streak setting in. We all have our own journeys and I encourage you to think of the situation without it being personal. If this was your friend, what would you tell her? Look at your diet, exercise more, drink more Water, take your vitamins! We all know this....now let's do it! :) Good luck!

Hang in there! I've had 4 fills and I can still eat anything pretty much. Hoping next one does the trick.

Amen! Why else would I have gone through all this? The band is adjustable. It was designed to get you to the "Green Zone" with the right amount of Fluid.

Plus, there has been a misconception on these boards over the last year that it is somehow better to have less fills than the next person, and someone who needs more in their band must somehow be in worst shape than someone with less?

THAT'S DANGEROUS!!! People need to get the treatment that is best for them. The band is adjustable and by it's very basic operating design it is intended to be filled with saline to get the individual to the proper place where it will work efficiently.

If 2 people had terminal cancer, is the one who takes less chemo better (or worse) off than the one who needs higher doses?

I agree with you. We have all had the same surgery but we use it differently. It is just a tool. It should not do the work for us and for most it doesn't. To me my surgery was my rock bottom of my addiction to food. I had lost control and I needed to have surgery to wake my ass up and get my life back in control. It was never about restriction for me. It was about choices and I was making all the bad ones. So to me, I was never looking at this as I can't wait to be in the "Green Zone". I was looking at this as a wake up call to a better lifestyle. I am not advocating the way I use my band, but I am just explaining how my tool has worked for me.

I still go to my doctor appointments. If they suggested a fill, I would consider it. They are happy with the progress I am making without them though and so am I. Ultimately, it is about self control to me. I still have to be the one that lives with myself and lives with the decisions of what goes in my mouth.

So I don't agree that "Without Restriction, this is just another diet", because I don't see this as a diet at all. I just see this as the new normal for me. Lifestyle and habit changes that regardless of the lapband, or fills, or anything else will lead to a healthier me.

Again, we all use this differently....

From your description...it sounds like you are in "Bandster Hell" and you need a fill. Schedule an appointment with your doctor. What you are going through is completely normal. One thing that might help, is to keep a food diary/calorie count for a while. Just be honest about what and how much you eat and then you can make changes that would be better choices. I stop eating when I have hit 1400 calories in a day (although I usually only eat around 1000 calories per day). This really has helped me, especially through the Christmas season. Good luck with the struggles, this to, will pass.