Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another Lap Band Failure Reporting In

Hi all! I really need some help/encouragement/words of wisdom right now. I had my surgery in July 2008. I did well the first one and a half years going from 235 to 171. Not my ideal weight but I was making great progress so I was okay with it. However, after that things just started going downhill. The new healthy eating habits that I had developed were again replaced with my old eating habits. I found ways to eat around the band and the new exercise habits that I had developed were again replaced with laziness. I am at a point where I don't remember how I am supposed to eat and I know that my band is too loose. I can eat the way I ate before surgery. It's not like I havent been back to my surgeon...I have but I don't remember ever having a "sweet spot". The band has always (to my recollection) been either too tight or too loose. I am at my width's end and don't know what to do at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Everything you said in your post indicates that you know where the problem areas are.

Were it me starting again, I might seek out a support group in my area. I have a good support network through my surgeon's office. Whenever I feel like I need help staying/getting back on track, I attend a meeting.

Otherwise, it definitely sounds like you could start by getting a fill to tighten up the band again to help you start making the right meal choices.

It sounds like you are motivated to get back on track. I wish you all the best!

If I were in your position, I think I'd go back to basics. I'd pretend that today was my surgery day, and go through all the baby steps from the beginning again. The liquid diet for a week or two, moving on to mushies for a week or two, never more than half a cup at a time, choosing protein-rich food, and no junk or sliders... And just work it from the beginning. Today is a new day :)

You are not a failure.

Tighten that band way up - let it help, let it remind you of what you can and cannot eat. It's been awhile since I have been on these boards but my all time favorite thing I ever read was about the mentality of a successful bandster. IT IS NOT ABOUT HOW MUCH YOU CAN EAT WITH THE BAND, IT IS ABOUT HOW LITTLE. The goal should be eating only the bare minimum. My band is TIGHT - has been for a year now. TIGHT. I mean TIGHT. And that has been a struggle, but the upside has been that I no longer has any sort of relationship with food. It is simply a NON-ISSUE. Sure, some bandsters prefer to diet. I preferred to get slapped around a little. I have lost 140 lbs in 17 months and I go for my first unfill in two weeks. Be aggressive. It works.

And I agree with the previous post - return to basics. Go get filled - a good one. Then do liquid for 2 weeks, like we did post-op. Get your head and your band back in the game. You can SOOOO totally do this!

I'm not sure where losing 64 lbs is considered a failure. You're stalled, not failed. Your post here is a good first step. Follow the advice above and get back on track.

Thanks all. I will attempt to start over as was suggested. I have honestly thought about it before but have dreaded the gas that comes with it...lol. But I'll just have to suck it up and do what I must. Your words of wisdom are very much appreciated

you are not a failure, like the PP said, you stalled at the weight loss. you just need to start over from the beginning and move on. we all make mistakes, believe me i have made alot lately. holidays were a huge issue for me. still wanted to eat everything in site, even though i knew i couldn't, i mentally still wanted too. it is so easy to fall back into our old habits, we had them for a very long time.

I'm only 20 days in but I know you can do it. You have demonstrated that already. Just time to reboot and renew. Good luck

Like the others said, YOU are not a failure!!! Forget the past, and figure out what you need to do to move forward. I have seen many people recommend the 5 day pouch test (www.5daypouchtest.com)...it helps you learn to "feel" your pouch again. That site directs you to something where I think its an ebook or something, I have seen the actual 5 day diet here on the forums, I will see if I can find it, and post back here in a bit!

I'm only 20 days in but I know you can do it. You have demonstrated that already. Just time to reboot and renew. Good luck

I like that - reboot and renew. I need to do that!

my vote is for a fill ! :) Let the band do it's job and help you. Over time some of the Fluid does go away. I go in for a tiny tweek fill about every 10-12 months now. It helps me keep restriction and maintain a normal BMI.

Thanks all! I have literally spent the last 3 hours on YouTube looking at success stories, ideas on eating and just getting the extra push I needed...while this is a wonderful site and great support system sometimes it helps to see people "live" with the band. You know what I mean?

Oh I will definitely be getting the fill. Unfortunately I couldn't get an appointment for before the 27th so I'll just have to do the best I can on my own for now. I will be skinny one day dammit lol

Day 1 & 2-The first two days are all liquids. You can have as many low-carb Protein shakes as you like to satisfy hunger or cravings. In addition drink at least six 8-ounce glasses of Water each day. The purpose of all liquids is to break any snacking, grazing or processed carbohydrate habits. In addition the liquids will work to cleanse your system and prepare you for the following three days. Try to reduce your caffeine intake as well, but do not stop caffeine cold turkey or you will feel sick and frustrated potentially losing the desire to continue with the pouch test. It is very important to drink a minimum of 64 ounces of Water each day. This will prevent dehydration, will help curb cravings and will flush your body of toxins and fat. Sufficient water intake improves kidney function and cell processes.

Day 3: Soft proteins- The next three days you get to eat as much as you want as often as you want! But there's a catch: it has to be solid Protein and you only get 15 minutes each time you sit down to eat. No drinking 30 minutes before or after meals and no drinking with your food. A dry pouch will hold your soft Protein longer helping your to feel full and fed longer. Protein Recommendations: canned fish ( tuna or salmon) mixed with lemon and seasoned with salt and pepper, eggs cooked as desired seasoned with salt pepper and/or salsa, fresh soft fish (tilapia, sole, orange roughy), baked or grilled, and lightly seasoned. This starts your program with "soft" protein. Measure your portion (1 cup volume or 4-6 ounces weight) and eat only until you feel full, not overfull. Remember, no water for 30 minutes before or after you meal, and no fluids with your meal. We are going back to the beginning and fluids will prevent you from feeling the pouch. If you need to add a moist condiment ( Miracle Whip or mayonnaise) to the canned fish I understand, but keep it to a minimum so the meat is not too moist. One reason we lose the sense of tightness in our pouch is that we eat "--URL::9afd69233af0e2304bef654138afbccf-- slider foods" -foods that are too moist and do not stay in the pouch very long, they slide right through the stoma. Cottage cheese is a good protein and you can include it on day 3. To firm it up a bit you could add a chopped hard cooked egg to your cottage cheese. And yes, during the liquid phase chicken boullion with added protein is great.

Day 4 Firm Protein- Protein Recommendations: ground meat (beef, turkey, lamb) cooked dry and lightly seasoned, shellfish, scallops, lobster steamed and seasoned only with lemon, salmon or halibut steaks, grilled and lightly seasoned. By now you should be experiencing that familiar tightness that will reassure you that your pouch is working. Remember to drink plenty of water between meals. Take some time to meditate and rediscover the wonder of your pouch. Often we don't like that uncomfortable tightness of the pouch, which is why we gradually move toward slider foods that don't make us uncomfortable. It is always my preference to eat moist protein so I don't get uncomfortable, but doing so allows me to consume more than I should. Rediscovering the pouch with this 5-day plan reminds me of how the tool really works. I hope by now you are rediscovering your tool and enjoying the hope and excitement because your pouch still works.

Day 5 Solid Protein- Remember to chew chew chew. Measure your portion (4-6 ounces) and eat only until you feel your pouch tighten. Remember, only 15 minutes per meal, so you'll have to work fast to chew your food completely. By now you should be out of any carb cycle you were in and perhaps you have lost a pound or two. You will have new confidence in your pouch and your ability to work the tool for your health and emotional well being. Don't go hungry! Remember, you can eat as often as you want as long as it is solid protein, consumed without liquids and measured in 4-6 ounce portions.

***Found this post from one of the forum members, thanks Pamela!