Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beginning Of A New Life

I am new to this website and from what I've been reading, am glad I found it. I am a 33 yr old single female with no children. About a year and a half ago, I decided that I wanted to make some drastic changes to my life because I was tired of being overweight which added to the pain I have with rheumatoid arthritis and the weight also caused sleep apnea as well as other health issues. I had my psych eval, had my first consult with my surgeon and was approved for lapband surgery through my insurance company in 2009. I planned on having the surgery over the summer in 2010, but began having other health issues that became more important than the lapband. In October of last year, I found out that I had a grapefruit sized mass on my left ovary. I was in a great deal of pain and it was removed along with my ovary and fallopian tube in December of last year. I found out at that time, I have endometriosis. Not even 6 months later, I started having familiar pains on my right side and it was confirmed that I had another mass on my right ovary. So in August of this year, I had that mass removed and thankfully the doctor was able to save my ovary. Unfortunately, all of my evaluations and referrals were no longer valid for the lapband procedure, so I had to start from scratch. Luckily it didn't take very long this time and I scheduled surgery ASAP. I had my lapband surgery on December 22 exactly 1 year and 1 day from my major surgery last year. I am at a point in my life that I don't have a lot of time left before I am unable to have children, especially knowing I have endometriosis. I have always wanted a baby and getting this surgery was very important to me so maybe I will have better luck finding my future husband. I know everyone says it doesn't matter what you look like, it's inside that matters. Then again it always seems to be the skinny people that say that. lol It's difficult to find someone, when you aren't happy with what you look like. I love who I am as a person, and now it's time for my appearance to match my personality!

I am looking forward to what the future holds for me. So far, I have lost 22 lbs which I am very excited about. I'm still sore from surgery because it's only been 4 days. I've noticed that I have a hard time sleeping at night because I toss and turn a lot so I've needed some pain meds at night but that's it. I will have 5 scars under my chest when they are healed. They are just another story to add to my other scars I've accumulated over the past year. But these ones, will have so much more meaning to me because they will help me to become the person I know I am supposed to be. Not an obese woman hoping to find her prince charming and hoping she looked like someone else.

Ok, so I am hoping that maybe some of my questions you can all help me with...

How long before the feeling of an air bubble in your chest goes away? It's getting better, but still feels like horrible heart burn/gas...Is it normal to be REALLY hungry right after surgery? I eat something, feel a little better and have horrible hunger pains an hour later...How much should I lose within the first couple of months after? I appreciate you taking the time to read my forum and look forward to any responses you might have :-)

I am right there with you. I had my install on December 23rd. I still have the gas pains, but like you they are getting better. I am 10 years older then you and my kids are almost grown, but if you want you can adopt or you may find someone who has ready made kids you can love and spoil. You are due for some good after the past couple years, you are making the right steps. Good for you!

welcome, I had my surgery on 19th. Gas pains go away soon, I didn't notice but mine seem to leave yesturday. Everyone is different with hunger. I have moments when I feel really hunger, but then have a little bit of a Protein Shake and I'm good. I have other times when I not feeling hunger but mu stomach is growling like crazy. Try sugar free popcicles. I'm only a week out myself and I lost 28 pounds since my pre surgery liquids started. Good Luck!

Suzi

I had surgery on the 23rd. The gas pains come and go, but are getting better. Lots of tummy growling and some diarrhea :(. Feeling stronger every day. I am 58, and have grandchildren. I went through a 12 year period of infertility in my 20's . I have 3 children, 2 adopted and 1 I gave birth to. I believe we are destined to go on many journeys in our lives, and almost none of them are what we had planned for us.

I have learned to hang on to God's hand during my journey. He has guided me through them and also provided some very nice rest stops along the way. Betsylulu, I believe you are on the correct path in your journey. Seems like you have made thoughtful and correct decisions. God's direction will be with you and you will have a very fufilling successful life!

Wow Suzbuni, 28 lbs! That's great! Thanks for the positive words Rachael. I guess I will have to wait to see if adoption is an option for me if I'm unable to have a baby. I'll have to see. Good luck to the both of you :)

Congratulations! 22lbs gone is great! I had bad gas pains for about 3-4 weeks after surgery. Mine were in my left shoulder. Walking and a heating pad helped tremendously! I was starving after a few days. It really is about willpower the first month or so until you start getting fills. Some people it is longer some shorter. Depending on when you get restriction, for some people it takes a few fills. I was lucky to receive some restriction after one fill. Start walking as soon as possible. Walk around your neighborhood or in the mall. I started with one mile and everyday would add a little more. It helped me. Whenever I really wanted to eat I got up and went for a walk. Make sure you are getting in a lot of Water (fluids). It helps keep you feeling full and helps you lose.

Maybe your weightloss will help the endometriosis? I know it has definitely helped me get my hormones back on track. We are trying for a second baby and trying to be hopeful! But it is a very frustrating process. I wish you all the best! Keep up the good work! Happy New Year!