Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Enough Is Enough ......

How do you know if your foods stuck?

What does it feel like have food stuck?

How will you know if you had too much food ?

What will I feel?

I was just told in the chat that it will hurt really bad and feel like you can't swallow your own saliva. And also your chest will hurt and feel full.

oh oh .. yeah I think I got a little FULL .. this week. but swallowing my own saliva wasnt an issue .. it was the chest pain .. ugh .. guess I over did it .

I was at the point in the beginning that I wasnt hungry at all. Now Im looking for food. Ugh hate this ..

thanks for your help

I have gotten food stuck a few times....it feels like your chest is super tight, and you can't swallow easily. You can still breathe but it hurts...it is not fun! You just have to wait until it slips past the band or you make it come back up. It does NOT help to drink or eat something else to "force" it down. It is just better to chew thoroughly, eat small bites and wait between bites!

The first time it happens it feels like you are having a heart attack.

Ugh Jesus....I am really nervous about this...is there any possible way to avoid this so that it never happens at all? Is there anyone out there that made sure they chewed thoroughly and ate slowly so well that they've just never gotten stuck? I bought baby spoons and forks and have small plates ..and I already eat slow anyway, I just need to focus on chewing like crazy.

I will tell you that I have only gotten stuck one time and it only lasted for a minute or two.. I was actually glad because it taught me a lesson. When it happened I was mindlessy snacking. But I have a friend that it has happened to several times. I will give you a piece of advice. Buy a bottle of Papaya enzyme and keep it with you at all times. If you get stuck chew one to help digest the food that is stuck. My friend and several ppl in my support group say that it really helps the food go down faster.

It is a very unpleasant experience but hey it does teach you a lesson.

Wow , thanks for the feed back . So I guess it's clear to say I had food STUCK lol YUCK.

Well I know I have a problem with eating fast. Im always on the go , so when I eat ,it's eat eat eat and out the door.

ugh I really need to focus. this is what got me here in the first place .. Well some of the reasons ... Bad choices as well .. But thats a whole different topic lol

Ugh Jesus....I am really nervous about this...is there any possible way to avoid this so that it never happens at all? Is there anyone out there that made sure they chewed thoroughly and ate slowly so well that they've just never gotten stuck? I bought baby spoons and forks and have small plates ..and I already eat slow anyway, I just need to focus on chewing like crazy.

Speaking only for myself, I was THRILLED when it started to happen. BRING IT ON! I welcomed it. After all, I had surgery to STOP me from eating. So instead of dreading the restriction and getting stuck, I learned how to eat differently, and learned what foods to avoid.

I have been stuck more times that I can count, or remember. It was my school of hard knocks! I could have ran to the Dr. to get unfilled, but where would that have put me?

Instead I was careful like walking on eggshells until things began to change.

It has made all the difference in the world!

But then, That's just Me! Seems like everyone here does things differently.

When I get stuck, I hiccup a lot and have a lot pain in my chest and tons of flem!! UGH, I have done it a lot of times. I hate to admit that, but I eat way too fast and dont pay enough attention. When it happens, I usually have to spit a lot, twice I have thrown up food. I am getting a grip on it and try to avoid it but it happens. I am going to get another fill and that usually opens up a whole new can of stuck! I have to learn to slow down too!! I have learned to cut meat up very tiny bites. That helps a bunch!! I just have to practice eating them one at a time lol.

When I get stuck, I hiccup a lot and have a lot pain in my chest and tons of flem!! UGH, I have done it a lot of times. I hate to admit that, but I eat way too fast and dont pay enough attention. When it happens, I usually have to spit a lot, twice I have thrown up food. I am getting a grip on it and try to avoid it but it happens. I am going to get another fill and that usually opens up a whole new can of stuck! I have to learn to slow down too!! I have learned to cut meat up very tiny bites. That helps a bunch!! I just have to practice eating them one at a time lol.

There's nothing wrong with admitting it. This is a website for fat people who may not want to admit it, but eat like pigs!

That's the very thing the band is going to change! And it may take a few painful episodes to get it through our heads!

I'm six months out and have never been stuck. I probabaly haven't because I'm still following my drs plan. I eat fish, chicken, veggies and dairy. I don't eat bread, rice, potatoes, Pasta, beef or pork. This is most likely the reason. I do get uncomfortable sometimes, like after eating salad, but that's about it. I have 7cc in a 10cc band.

Speaking only for myself, I was THRILLED when it started to happen. BRING IT ON! I welcomed it. After all, I had surgery to STOP me from eating. So instead of dreading the restriction and getting stuck, I learned how to eat differently, and learned what foods to avoid.

I have been stuck more times that I can count, or remember. It was my school of hard knocks! I could have ran to the Dr. to get unfilled, but where would that have put me?

Instead I was careful like walking on eggshells until things began to change.

It has made all the difference in the world!

But then, That's just Me! Seems like everyone here does things differently.

AMEN to that. I have restriction at almost EVERY meal. I wouldn't call it a "stuck" episode. (although I've had a couple of those as well). I just know to stop eating or slow down when I start getting the familiar tightness from the BAND.

It is the best feeling to me, and miss it on those off times that the food just kind of sails through.

I may be doing something wrong, but I am able to eat my 1 cup portions and get them down...albeit with some discomfort.

When you have your first stuck episode, trust me...YOU WILL KNOW IT. It doesn't feel like anything else and your first reaction may be to drink a glass of Water to help it down. BIG MISTAKE. The Water just pools on top...feels sooooo bad.

Usually starts off with Hiccups and burping and then bam...it hits you and you can't do anything but wait it out. I have actually stretched and also jumped up and down to let gravity help but nothing really helps other than time. I may have to try that Papaya enzyme though.

The best way to deal with it is to just SLOW DOWN and chew. I know, easier said than done, but with the pain you get from being stuck, it will teach you that lesson really fast.