Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What I've Learned 6 Months After Being Banded...

I've learned a lot the last 6 months and today being my 6-month bandiversary, I thought I'd share.

To those who say it doesn't work, you're right. It doesn't work for everyone. It's designed to work if the patient learns to work with it and have a complete lifestyle change.

I don't diet. I changed what I eat, how much I eat, how fast I eat (now I actually get TIRED of eating!), and how often I eat (or as the case is now) how often I think I need to eat. I do use myfitnesspal to track my calories and exercise. I've started exercising but am in no way the poster child for how to exercise. I can get better at it, and I'm working on that aspect.

It's been hard work on my part. Retraining my body and eyes with food. Telling myself I don't need to eat or drink that. I no longer WANT to. I can go down the candy aisle/cookie aisle at the store and say, wow that looks good but I don't want it. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I DO want the crap! Some days, I'd kill for a piece of Mrs Bairds large white bread. But in the end, it's k

Sorry. Fat fingers.

It's not worth it.

I feel bad when I eat the wrong thing, both physically and emotionally.

Since I have a thyroid issue, I lose slower than others. That gets discouraging. But you know what, the fact is, I'm losing. Not gaining. And what I've lost I've been able to keep off. Never did that before.

I've given away half my clothes that were once tight. My favorite pants fall off when I wear them. Someone else is looking great and feeling good in my old clothes. I get to shop for myself, and soon it won't be in the plus-sized section. I'm less than pounds away from the weight I was when I married 15 years and 3 kids ago. I'm under 200 pounds for the first time in 12 years. I'm one size away from wearing a dress that I wore on my wedding day...I saved my all-time favorite purple dress and soon I'll be able to zip it (now I can actually get it over my thighs!). 40 pounds. That's the weight of my 4-year-old!

My doctors office is happy with my weight loss. Some days I'd rather it come off faster. But I didn't gain it all in one day, so I can't expect it to fall away overnight.

People at work notice. My family notices. Best of all I notice. I still don't love my body, but I'm learning to like it a little better.

The best Part??? Measuring myself!

Before:

Waist 48

Bust 48

Hips 54

Thighs 26

Upper arm 16

6 months later

Waist 41

Bust 44

Hips 48

Thigh 25.5

Upper arm 15.5

Can't wait to see what the next 6 months bring!

LBT has also helped. I've been able to read both the good and bad stories, met amazing and inspiring people, and had people cheer me on. People that don't even know me. I couldnt have done it without support.

If you're struggling, LBT has people who've been there. If you're new, same thing. Lost? You're at the right place. Want to help others? Again, here we are.

Best wishes everyone. :)

I've just passed the eight month mark and would have to agree - it's up to us to work the band and change our lifestyle. I now weigh and measure my food. I track my calories and exercise, also on MFP. Sure, my surgeon called me his poster child for lap band surgery, but it's as much a head game as it is a physical one. I still have to choose to eat the right foods and to exercise. I am still tempted by sweet stuff.. I am still prone to emotional eating and probably always will be. But now I am so much more aware of the consequences and to actually pause and consider whether I really am prepared to pay the price for that piece of cake or that glass of wine. And most times I decide that I am not. I've lost 51kg and am loving life with my band!

Congrats. I get banded in 9 days and it can't get here soon enough.

You're doing great. I Ike your attitude.

Here, here, kittyforet! You are exactly right. It takes a lot of physical, emotional and even spiritual undoing to get this little gizmo to work smoothly but it can be done.

I always say that where there's a will, there's a way. I had to give up meat for about 2 years because my band just didn't like it. I was ok with that but I kinda missed it. Now I found a sous vide oven and am enjoying meat again.

You just have to have determination and know that if you hit a roadblock, there's always a way around it.

I gave up very little with my band. I don't eat scrambled eggs, just a bite or two of baked goods is all that passes my lips and pizza just doesn't work for me. But I gained the right to eat chocolate and I LOVE frozen yogurt! As I see it, it's a simple trade. Most of whatever I permanently gave up I can certainly live without.

Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels. I wish I could update my avatar photo. That photo was at 190, I'm now 159 and a size 8! But the stinkin' thing won't seem to let me update my photo.

Attitude, determination, creativity, understanding and the help and support of your doctor's comprehensive aftercare program (if you are lucky enough to have a surgeon who has one) is ultra important for success.

I recently read a post "I still hate my band." It sounds like the poor girl still isn't eating right or the right things or getting help in changing her mindset about food. I wish her the best of luck.

Thank you for your post. It's right on the money. This process isn't about simply losing weight it's about coming to terms with 'recovering from the addiction of obesity' a recovery process that takes time, energy, input and commitment. We will be recovering from our diseas for a lifetime. But thankfully, we'll have a lifetime to recover.

Yo go girl! You have much to be proud of...

I cant agree more about how much of it is mental....not feeling sorry for yourself and avoiding that 'I deserve a treat'....

I dreamed about pizza for two weeks before the surgery and avoid the junk food isle completly now...I actually morn the loss of food, but it is replaced with the sheer joy of running out of belt holes....

Hang in there!

Thank you for the inspiring words!! Today is my 2 week post op & Ive wondered what the next 6 months holds for me. I know that this isnt a miracle cure all--its all in my hands to use this tool responsibly! thanks again

Here, here, kittyforet! You are exactly right. It takes a lot of physical, emotional and even spiritual undoing to get this little gizmo to work smoothly but it can be done.

I always say that where there's a will, there's a way. I had to give up meat for about 2 years because my band just didn't like it. I was ok with that but I kinda missed it. Now I found a sous vide oven and am enjoying meat again.

You just have to have determination and know that if you hit a roadblock, there's always a way around it.

I gave up very little with my band. I don't eat scrambled eggs, just a bite or two of baked goods is all that passes my lips and pizza just doesn't work for me. But I gained the right to eat chocolate and I LOVE frozen yogurt! As I see it, it's a simple trade. Most of whatever I permanently gave up I can certainly live without.

Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels. I wish I could update my avatar photo. That photo was at 190, I'm now 159 and a size 8! But the stinkin' thing won't seem to let me update my photo.

Attitude, determination, creativity, understanding and the help and support of your doctor's comprehensive aftercare program (if you are lucky enough to have a surgeon who has one) is ultra important for success.

I recently read a post "I still hate my band." It sounds like the poor girl still isn't eating right or the right things or getting help in changing her mindset about food. I wish her the best of luck.

Thank you for your post. It's right on the money. This process isn't about simply losing weight it's about coming to terms with 'recovering from the addiction of obesity' a recovery process that takes time, energy, input and commitment. We will be recovering from our diseas for a lifetime. But thankfully, we'll have a lifetime to recover.

Bravo! Well put! Love your last line!

I've learned a lot the last 6 months and today being my 6-month bandiversary, I thought I'd share.

To those who say it doesn't work, you're right. It doesn't work for everyone. It's designed to work if the patient learns to work with it and have a complete lifestyle change.

I don't diet. I changed what I eat, how much I eat, how fast I eat (now I actually get TIRED of eating!), and how often I eat (or as the case is now) how often I think I need to eat. I do use myfitnesspal to track my calories and exercise. I've started exercising but am in no way the poster child for how to exercise. I can get better at it, and I'm working on that aspect.

It's been hard work on my part. Retraining my body and eyes with food. Telling myself I don't need to eat or drink that. I no longer WANT to. I can go down the candy aisle/cookie aisle at the store and say, wow that looks good but I don't want it. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I DO want the crap! Some days, I'd kill for a piece of Mrs Bairds large white bread. But in the end, it's k

Thank you for your post! I am 1.5 years out down 80lbs & no with no regrets.