Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey, It's Another New Lap Band Guy!

First, to introduce myself, I'm a 33-year-old married father of a 2-year-old boy. I work as a journalist at a daily newspaper in Tennessee.

Ever since childhood, I've been "husky." But it wasn't until I went to college that I truly became obese (I hate the sound of that word, by the way).

Ten years ago, shortly after college, my wife and I got married. At the altar, I weighed 256. Months after our wedding, I decided to do something about my weight. I joined Weight Watchers and promptly dropped 36 pounds. But I also got a new job at a newspaper.

That lifestyle has not been good for my health. I eat big portions quickly, I often eat late at night, and I drink gobs of soda (not diet, that stuff is gross).

So anyway, after battling the scales for 10 years, my weight peaked at 300 pounds. My blood pressure was high and my cholesterol was high, With my family's history of heart disease and stroke, I decided something had to be done.

Well, I had my lapband surgery yesterday, and I actually feel pretty good. Stepping on the scales pre-surgery, I had lost 18 pounds in essentially three weeks of pre-op dieting.

I'm looking forward to a new life. I'm committed to eating healthy and living longer for my wife and child. I thought joining this forum would be a good way to keep myself accountable. We'll see how it goes.

That is awesome and continues good luck on your journey,will have my surg tomorrow

Congrats on your surgery! I am little over a week post op and can not wait to continue this journey!

Thanks guys. Jenlyn, what does your surgeon have you eating in week 1? Mine is very aggressive. He says 2 days of liquid then transition to softs. Then after a couple days of that, transition to regular diet...

Welcome to the group! Good luck and keep us posted :)

Hey, welcome aboard! Your stats sound exactly like where I was, just a year ago. I peaked at 320, but ate like you, and had the same health issues as you. I had my surgery last December, and I'm now down 125 pounds since I started. I'm basically at my maintenance weight now, and life is EXCELLENT. sleep is normal, energy is great, and my daily activities are energized like never before. My labs are all perfect, blood pressure and cholesterol are in the normal range, and life couldn't be better.

The band is NOT a magic bullet, as you'll hear a hundred times. It takes planning, work, and management to learn how your body works, and how best to respond to being banded. Your daily life has to change to let the band do its' job, but if you do as you need to, you can lose a LOT of weight with this little tool. I have zero regrets, other than that I waited so long to have my surgery. Now, a year after the fact, I have absolutely no intention of ever going back. This truly is life-changing.

If you've made the commitment to alter your life to suit being banded, and you're willing to make the efforts to do it right, you're going to have a fantastic future.

Best of luck in your journey.

Dave

Good luck. Welcome to the club.. I get banded in 9 days.

Welcome to the group and good luck :)

Good Luck also.... I get banded Jan 4

Well, thanks for your support everybody. Three-days post op and my scale is down 7 pounds to give me 25 off since Nov. 16. That's pretty good, although maybe too fast.

I had my first "real" food in nearly two weeks this morning — 1/2 cup of scrambled eggs. It was bliss! It actually kept me full from 9 a.m. or so until nearly 1 p.m., when I drank a Protein shake.

I've been back at work for two days now and feel pretty good, just a little sore at the port site.

I'm looking forward to some more "soft" food for dinner tonight, as well as keeping up with you guys on here.

Thanks,

ForRAD (that's my son's initials)...

Congrats and welcome! Isn't it amazing how, once you make the decision to have the surgery, you feel like the weight of the whole world is off your shoulders? (Excuse the pun!)

This site is amazing - everyone is so helpful and you can find the answers to all of your questions by just asking! Its such a great feeling having the support of fellow travelers.

Looking forward to your updates!

Welcome and continued luck. I say scales smells. LOL have a Great Christmas NLBG!

Welcome and good luck in your journey!

So glad to meet some more newbies! My husband and I were banded this past monday. Our doctor has us on full liquids (anything that can strain through a mesh strainer) 50+ grams of Protein a day for me and 70+ for my husband.

I'm keeping a blog through the experience and I'm trying to leave a lot of good tips as we go through the experience. Hope you find it helpful!!

http://happilyafterlapband.blogspot.com/