Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Never Thought I'd Say This But

Its entirely reconstructive, but a side effect will be a supermodel tummy.

After my ultra low bowel resection i was left with an ugly, twisted scar where my caesar scar used to be and a stoma of course. When the stoma was closed i had a new scar ( about as big as a port incision) and an upper abdominal bulge. Despite this huge op being laparoscopic, my abdominal wall has been severely weakened, and the fullness on my previously flat tummy Id thought was middle aged spread ( early menopause due to rafiation) is not my pear shaped bod beginning to store intraabdominal fat but rather muscle laxity brought on by wearing my intestine as an accessory for nine months.

I also had incisional hernias which were getting worse so my colorectal surgeon encouraged me to go and see a reconstructive plastic surgeon, who said a full abdominoplasty is the way to go. Because its reconstructive im looking at $5000 rather that $15000 which is more the norm here.

I never could have used my familys money for pure vanity as my tummy isnt that baf, but this is ncessary, henc guilt free. And Ive never really considered getting my boobs done because i couldnt see the point without the tummy work. Now as hu by has said, i may as well do it, so will save up and do that later this year. At present, the Tummy Tuck will be in the last week of march.

Im a tad scared. Ive had some truly traumatic surgeries in the last 12 months and have suffered a fair bit of depression at the damage my treatments have done to my body. This is going to be a big and painful one, but i think i will finally feel lime ive kicked cancer's ass!

Congratulations this sounds scary but such a major step in recovery.

Glad to hear that you're having reconstructive surgery. So good that something positive can come out of your battle with cancer. Keep us posted.

Take care.

Sue

Been through the same battle and have the same scars and yes I kicked it in the butt also! Would love to have the same surgery done! Last month I went in and had my stoma hernia and incisional hernia repaired and enjoyed my five day hospital stay! I now have enough tummy scars to have a road map! Hope everything goes well

Wow Brenda, its amazing how many people have fought and won this battle! He didnt give me a choice to just fix the scars themselves, it was off with them all and tighten the whole abdominal wall - I thought he would just focus on the caesar scar and id planned to ask him if we could extend that into a mini Tummy Tuck figuring that would make "some" improvement, but my lower belly is flat and taught, its my upper belly and sad belly button that are the problem, so i thought id have to live with that. But nope, apparently full abdominoplasty is the standard way to fix all of this.

Have to go and see lpband surgeon to discuss a low profile port too. I guess that means unfilling again, groan

Congrats - I am jealous. Just looked at your pics and think you look pretty amazing even without the TT, certainly no sign of the pear shaped hips and things that you keep telling us you have.

Congrats you so deserve this! My full Tummy Tuck is set for Feb. 6th and I am scared but After all that you have been through the tummy tuck will be a walk in the park.

Jachut, I have enjoyed the wisdom and encouraging words along my journey. I have envied the way your stomach bounced back after your weight loss. Please know that you deserve to get this TT after all you have been through and your hard work. I had a TT in June 2011 and worked several part time jobs in addition to my full time to fund it. I understand the guilt, but you so deserve it don't deny yourself. Many of us will be praying for you and wishing you the best.

Thanks for the support guys. Ive just watched a tv show about a woman whose lost 200 lb and wow, i feel a whole new level of humility -or is it guilt - about being so happy to get my tummy fixed. Even though its necessary from a reconstructive viewpoint. I really dont have a cosmetic problem of any great scale, but i can find pics of tummies like mine all over the internet. I have a bit of a moral stumbling block with cosmetic surgery for some reason. Its very like feeling guilty on the cancer board i visit for only being a stage two, feeling like i cant talk about my problems because its only highlighting how much worse off others are.

Or like the feeling that comes up every now and then here that those of us that were "less fat" somehow were less deserving or didnt have to work as hard.

But youve buoyed me up. Yes! I do deserve this and by moving forward with it, its hardly like im steeling someone else's opportunity for it, is it?

I think it will be good for you to do something for YOU! I'm happy for you :)

Not sure if they do this where you live but here they place a pain pump in your abdomen after doing a TT or a combo TT/hernia repair. IMO it's the best thing.

I hope you really aren't in too much pain and you bounce back quickly.

They do have them here, I had one after my hysterectomy and it was great. It cost a little extra as I don't think it was covered by medicare but it was well worth it.