Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery Day 3, Talk Me Down!

I was banded 3 1/2 days ago -

OK so I know I'm not REALLY ACTUALLY hungry, but I feel like I am. I am SO freakin' tired of broth, Soup, popsicles, Protein shakes and Water that I could just croak! I actually took a bite of my daughters dinner, chewed it up and then spit it out just so I could taste something that wasn't blahhhhh. At least I spit it out, right? I know this is all "mental" and I'm not really starving to death, but it sure is hard to take. I am obsessively looking forward to pudding next week - how sad is that? I've done quite well on the pre-op & post-op diets (down 17 lbs) and I know I can do this - I quit smoking after 15 years w/ no problem - I just have to get over this "hump". I feel the need to discuss it with others like you who have been in this position. My family is supportive and wants to help but have no idea what I'm going through.

Any suggestions? Hints? Tips? Talk me down off the food ledge!! lol

Oh sweetie...I really wish I had some magic words to make you feel better...honest and truly it's gonna suck for a few more days...lol. Hang in there, if you can survive hell week (week before surgery) then you've got this!! I'm proud of you for reaching out for help....and I want you to know that your doing a great job!!!

Hope this helps!!

Kelly

It wouldnt be normal if you werent feeling this way. I hated broth from day one. I was so happy to have a Protein Shake after four days that I felt sad for myself lol. Im two years out and it does get better. Once you survive the first week you will be okay. Honestly I couldnt wait to eat pudding either and I cherished every stinkin bite. Its funny how we are consumed with missing food. But it will get better. Just dont watch tv that has food commericials you will really hate yourself lol Good luck it does get better and I bet the day you can have pudding it will be for Breakfast lol

It's pretty rough for a week or two, then most of us gradually begin to be less hungry, I guess you just get used to it.

There's no easy way, that I know of, sort of a mind over matter thing. I haven't had any fills, yet, but I'll see how I do

after the holidays. You'll begin to get fills at about 6 week intervals until you reach the 'green zone' where just a few bites fills you. It will never cease to be a battle, but it does get easier.

I was looking forward to mashed potatoes throughout the liquid stage.

Try making your Protein drinks more interesting. Buy some flavored extracts and add them. My husband and I sorta made a game of it. He would make my shakes for me, and I would have to guess the "secret flavor. My fav was pumpkin pie spice. Peppermint would be nice this time of year. Another thing I enjoyed during the liquid stage was V-8 with some tabasco in it. Then I would heat it up like tortilla Soup.< /p>

Wow, I have been reading a lot of post where you guys are saying you have to wait tohave somt of the same foods I was given in the hospital! I was only on a liquid diet for 24-48 hours after the surgery, From 2 days to 2 weeks I was told I can have skim milk, broth, sugar free Jello, sugar free pudding, cream of wheat, scrambled eggs, sugar free applesauce, cottage cheese and pureed soup! I have been doing fine with these foods, although I am only able to get small portions down (like 2-3 tbsp) its better than only liquid!

try to drink some hot apple cider, it really helps me. A person can can handle only so much chicken broth. You can find it next to the hot chocolate mix in powder packets. It is delicious and it comes in sugar free also. I drink the regular its only 80 cal. and I have it for breakfast. Hope it helps!I was banded 3 days ago myself.

My doctor made the mistake of giving me the instructions for his Gastric Bypass patients. I called the office for tips after surgery and they told me I could have purees after 3 days. I was so happy to be able to put Soup in the blender just to get some kind of taste! It gets better! I had my surgery in Sept!

I was banded on the 6th and was so upset yesterday that I cried! I could have sworn I was told purée is fine after 3 days but when I talked to my surgeon he said not to start until Monday. Frick.

I bawled like a baby.

Then I had a nice day including "eating" out with my family. I had orange spice tea while they ate. I felt super hungry when they had pizza for dinner. I'm just dying to have black bean Soup and homemade squash soup that I cooked 2 days ago and froze.

I wish I had advice but I am right there with you. I just take it one moment at a time.

My doctor allowed soft foods on day 5. It was Thanksgiving. I was able to eat mashed potatoes with gravy and the cranberry sauce. Of course, the amount I managed to eat was about 3 tablespoons. But it eased the craving for "tasty" food. I also ate a lot of Jello. I know it didn't really help with my fluids, but it made me feel better to think I was "chewing" something.

I think we are in a similar situation. I just got banded a couple of days ago. After meeting with my doctor today, she said I could go to full liquids. I nearly hugged her. I swear pudding never tasted so good.

Thank you all so much for your kind words & advice! My hubs made me up a "Protein shake Suprise" last night to mix it up a bit. A few more days and I'm having me some scrambled eggs & pudding LOL I guess we all have times where it is just hard, thanks for being my support team while I was on the edge of crazy-town!

i am in the same boat, just had my surgery on friday and am so hungry but not hungry at all. i cant wait until the full liquid phase on wednesday