Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Bypass After Lap Band

I had Lap Band surgery back in 2003 when I was 26 years old. Ultimately it was a major fail. I did it because I was supposed to feel full. "Full" is not the description I would have ever used. Regardless Im 35 now and done with this. I've wasted 9 years of my life with the lap band and am left to find a different alternative.

So I have some questions:

Anyone ever had thier band removed?

Did your insurance cover the removal?

How long after the removal can I get a gastric bypass or other bariatric surgery?

Anyone else in the same place as I am right now? It would be good to hear from you.

Thanks!

Hello. I am newly banded (only as of 2 weeks) so I'm not sure what I can tell you. However, I realized early on that feeling "full" is not SUPPOSED to happen...even without the band. It means you ate too much. Feeling satisfied and not being hungry in between meals (like every 4 to 5 hours) is the goal. That's just my opinion. I have yet to feel FULL like I used to when I used to stuff my face and clean my plate, but I also don't feel hungry between meals. I'm happy with that. I would also discuss your concerns with your doctor.

As for a different procedure, I would suggest the sleeve over the bypass. I did a lot of research on the sleeve because I was considering getting that done (before insurance told me it wasn't covered) and it's safer than the bypass. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

I am sorry things did not work out for you. I agree with the previous poster. I hated that "full" feeling, i like the satisfied feeling much better. Nothing fun about feeling like a stuffed turkey. I agree about the sleeve. I have 2 friends who had the bypass done and lost a lot of weight, gained it all back, plus some in 2 years. One of them had it redone, and is losing again, but has all this saggy skin. They lose way fast and the body has not time to catch up with with the skin elasticity. I have one friend who had the sleeve done, and she has done great with it. My surgeon will not do the bypass because he feels it is a worthless procedure. good luck with your decision.

I would also check out the revision forums on the bypass and sleeve boards you will find more people who have already done the revision. In addition, you may want to also consider plication or the band with plication. Plication is similar to the sleeve but instead of removing your stomach it is folded in on itself and sewn. It is a new procedure but it initial studies have shown weight loss similar to the sleeve.

Good Luck with everything

Michelle

its based on your insurance some do and some don't best would be to contact your insurance company.

I'm in a similar spot with the band and wanting to revise to bypass. My insurance won't cover the sleeve so I have to go the bypass route.

I have talked with some who had the band removed and had the bypass or sleeve all in one surgery. My doctor prefers to remove the band and let the stomach heal for a few weeks and then do the second surgery. My doc submitted documents to the insurance to approve band removal and they denied it. We sent an appeal today so hopefully they'll approve it. I paid for the band myself in 2009.

I'm frankly torn now because my new doc checked the Fluid in my band and I still had much more room in the band. The previous doc had told me it was full and there was nothing more to do. So now that I've had more fills the band is helping me more and I'm not sure what I should do. I never imagined I would be in this predicament.

if you have had the lap band will ins cover another surgery

each insurance company is different.. mine won't cover another weight loss surgery..

What your insurance covers or not is totally dependent on what type of plan you have. Some plans pay for anything and everything some pay for nothing. Definitely check it out, a lot of doctors will also work on a discount for cash plans so you might be able to use some insurance and some cash but in the end your health is THE most important thing in life :-)

Good luck!!