Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why The Closer I Get To Lap Band Surgery The Bigger I Get ?

Why is it, The closer I get to surgery the more bigger I get? I fell so sad! I am not eating so much at all. What could it be? Stress, PMS, NOT Preg, I need help!!!

/

You are probably eating a lot more than you realise, plus it is not the amount you eat but what you eat that also makes a difference.

You are probably subconciously doing it as you know your surgery is coming up. I wouldn't stress too much as help is at hand, that is why you are getting the band.

In the weeks leading up to my surgery I went a little crazy. Got the approval from insurance and decided I was going to have some of my favorite foods that were sure to be on the "NO" list post surgery. I got a little silly with it but feel better now that I did. I didn't want the band to feel like a punishment so I needed to have that last fling, so to speak.

Thanks Friends!

food funeral.

I'm doing the exact same thing. It is because I want to eat now what I won't be able to eat later. I feel like "I can eat this now, I haven't been able to during the last 6 months with the nutritionist (insurance requierement), and I won't be able to after the lap band." I am putting on a few of the pounds I had lost on my own, but i don't care! We're all trying to move in the right directions, so what if we reward ourselves once in a while. Just keep moving forward. Good luck to you, you're nto alone on this one!

Tabby.

Don't worry................after the lap band is done and the pounds start to fall off and you get into those skinny jeans and heels again! yay!

I think we all do this. I was approved for my surgery last December and gained 20 lbs before my Feb 2nd surgery. In most of our minds we need to eat everything we possibly can because we "might" not be able to eat it again in the future. I wish I knew then what I know now, because then I wouldn't have had to lose that extra 20 lbs. There is not much that I can not eat now. It's all about Portion Control. No one ever said we couldn't have that pizza (or whatever else) again, for some reason I just "heard" that. Boy was I wrong!

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was required to do 6 months with nutritionist and exercise plan. I did lose 18 pounds in 6 months, bmi went from 44 to 41. I also was afraid then my insurance would say no. Either because they could say "you can obviously lose weight on your own" or "now you don't weigh enough for the surgery." Fortunately, or not furtunately I have co-morbidities. But since my BMI is still at 41 I'm OK. The nutritionist said I should lose 5% body weight before surgery, which I did!

It felt good to lose weight on my own, but I could tell I could not stick with it without the help the lap band will give me.

As for 'diet' for 6 months, for me and the nutritionist it was anything but a diet. I had to log all my food for 6 months. It helps you see what foods are high in what, how you could alter what you eat but still get better calorie intake without having to eat all veggies or whatever. For instance getting a chicken breast instead of chicken strips cuts down from like 800 calories to less than 100 per patty.

It's hard to put how great those 6 months have been for me- but i am now 1 day away from my 6 month appointment with nutritionist and I am amazed how much I learned. I feel like compared to people who did not have to do that, I am so much more ready for the lap band because of those 6 months. Definitely a lot food smarter and started some of the emotional work we will all have to deal with post lap band.

I hope that helps, think of it as a great learning experience. I didn't 'diet' so much as we set little goals each month. And some months i didn't meet those goals, oh well. Insurance just required I go, you choose what to make of it.

Tabby.

Yep, I know how you feel. I've gain about 10 pounds from the first consultation on Oct 18 to today. My surgery is scheduled for 12/19. I feel like i'm walking the green mile to the surgery and trying to eat my favorite foods now. I know I will be on liquids for 2 weeks or so after surgery so I am getting it in now. I know its not good, but I know it will be fine once I have the band. I am excited to get the surgery and start anew.