Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Endoscopy, have you had one?

Just wondering how many have had an endoscopy?

and how long have you had your band?

What were the results of the test?

I also want to know how/why you were given the test. I recall someone who eroded saying they had no symptoms, so how did you get the scope?

With all the erosions around lately, I would not mind having one for peace of mind. I truly feel this test is needed to dx erosions and I do not feel as though it is being done enough. Doctors keep using a barium swallow and if that is ok you are ok?, or maybe not.

So how many have had the test and what was the reason your doc gave to get the test done? Thanks Trish

I had one recently and the diagnosis was GERD, Esophagitis..

Results were normal, no erosion at this time.

I have been banded for 3 yrs in May, however, I slipped and had a replacement put in in July, 2004, so this particular band has only been placed about 18 months.

Trish,

This is an excellent question. I was eating lunch at Burger king today and I thought about asking these exact questions. Especially this one...

how did you get the scope?

I am 20 months post banding.

Never had a scope. Not sure how to even request for one.

I admit, Im getting concerned... at Burger King earlier - I ate a whopper jr (no bread) 2 chicken tenders and small french fries - didnt even get a stuck feeling. :cool: something isnt right!

I had an endoscopy in October because I'm not responding to prescription meds for reflux. The endoscopy showed -- you guessed it -- reflux! I highly recommend having a gastroenterologist who is familiar with the band do it. Or seeing if your band dr. or nurse -- anyone who could see abnormalities with the band -- present. Mine was not. He said there wasn't erosion, so I guess he could detect that. But, he couldn't say if it had slipped or not. He drew me a diagram that looked almost exactly like the slip I had in 2004.

I've since had a barium swallow -- same thing -- a radiologist unfamiliar with the band and my Dr. couldn't get a good sense of the band placement from the pics he did. Now I have to go for an abdominal x-ray. All could have been saved if only someone familiar with the band had been involved in my endoscopy.

I'm with the eroded-girls who recommend an endoscopy after 18 months (12 months?) or so is probably a good idea since some band problems have no symptoms.

By the time I had a scope, it was part of the pre-op process to have the band removed. I had no erosion, so that was good news. My DS surgeon did it, so that he'd know what he was in for, before doing the revision.

I had one, my doctor reccomends one between 18 - 24 months post op..I had mine at 18 months, he says if ersoion will occur it most likely will between the 18 -24 month mark...I had no symptoms of erosion but I was eroded, not bad but enough to have my band removed I caught mine early.

hmmm.....Cleveland Clinic it is mandatory that all patients have one....before even being considered for band surgery!

they run a tight ship!

diane : )

Thanks to all who replied.

I am 2 years out and would like the test just to make sure everything is ok, but my doc won't do it unless you have some problems. Every doc has his/her own set of guidelines as we all know, I guess I think this test should become routine at about 18 months 2 years as others have suggested.

Thanks Trish

My new insurance does not cover the band, or band related things, how can I get this and get my insurance to cover it?

hmmm.....Cleveland Clinic it is mandatory that all patients have one....before even being considered for band surgery!

they run a tight ship!

diane : )

I have a whole lot of requirements before getting the band from sleep study to psych eval to in my case echo. I have to have an upper GI, but that is not the same thing as endoscopy. Did you actually have to have the tube placed down your throat before surgery. This seems unusual. They are normally just looking for ulcers before they band you.

"My new insurance does not cover the band, or band related things, how can I get this and get my insurance to cover it?"

Ky, that's a good question. I asked for an endoscopy through my insurance based on all my problems, but I was told it wasn't medically necessary. Then one day I vomitted (not a PB, but a projectile vomit that shot out without warning & freaked me out.) I asked again for a scope but was given an Upper GI instead, and the results were normal. However, I started feeling creepy (not quite queasy, but right on the border.) So I kept going back complaining of feeling sick and vomitting till my insurance finally covered the endoscopy, and sure enough it revealed erosion.

If you have ANY problems, your insurance has to cover it. But if you just ask for a scope, they'll tell you to pound sand. I would never consider another surgery in Mexico, but I almost drove there for a $250 endoscopy (5 hr drive.)

Some band surgeons are starting to suggest having an endoscopy around 18 months after banding since there aren't always signs of erosion.

I'll say it a million times till everyone on this board hears me, but listen carefully to your body! I "knew" I was eroded because I studied and focused the way my body acted and sounded from the day I was banded. I knew every gurgle, every noise, every feeling. Once I was eroded, things sounded different, food digested differently - things just felt weird.

I've had 5-6 endoscopies in the past several years and was always put to sleep. They knock you out through an IV and put a tube down your throat with a tiny camera to take pictures from the inside. Someone has to drive you since you'll have a nice buzz from the IV.

I just five minutes ago got off the phone with the nurse practitioner at my surgeon's office who told me to call a gastroenterologist for an EGD (endoscopy). I'm 2+ years out from surgery and recently have been having some odd symptoms. Of course I wanted the nurse to tell me oh, yes, it's allergies, it's menopause, it's heartburn, it's whatever, but what she said was yes, we have to rule out an ulcer or erosion.

So I'm going to try to schedule it for Friday. :confused: I'm nervous, I'll admit it. I hate mood-altering buzzy drugs, and of course I'm very nervous about the possible outcome. Now I just have to manage my stress over the next few days until I know more.

Alexandra If you want company for your appointment as moral support, DH is off that day and I'll go with if you need me.

I am starting to have the queazy feeling, right in the middle of my chest, it just feels odd. Although I would never admit this to anyone, because I do not want to losre my band. The new clinic I have to go to with my new insurance does nothing with the band. So What do you recommend I do? Fake some symptons? What kind should I fake, so that they will give me the test?? Then after I get the scope (if I do) then take the records to my band doc?

When the band erodes, is there a hole in out stomach? How does the food stay in there and not just go out into your body? I am not understanding this erosion thing. Please don;t think I am an idiot.