Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Is The Soonest You Can Get A Lap Band Fill?

I was banded on the 18th of Nov. The first week was great, good restriction (due to stomach swelling I'm sure) and everything was going good, then the restriction started to go away. Now I'm at the end of week 2 with no restrictive feeling at all. I have my first post-op appt on monday and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the doc will give me a fill.

Some docs do a slight fill during the procedure but I dont think I have heard of anyone getting one before at least four weeks after...plus it will take several fills to get to real restriction so this part is kind of a long haul where your band isnt really helping you. I tell people if they dont gain during these months they are ahead of the game..good luck!

Your stomach needs time to heal around the band.

I too, was so excited to "turn that band on"...but surgery is only the first step of a long couple months of working up to the sweet spot.

Eat appropriately, begin exercising, and focus on healing instead of fills. The first ones are such a disappointment anyway....

Pushing fills too fast and too soon have detrimental results for many in the long run.........you need a good 4 weeks to heal that band in place

This is what they refer to as bandster hell! The time where your built-in willpower has not yet been turned on. I agree with the other posters, I haven't heard of a doctor who gives a fill before 4 weeks post op. Stick with it, follow the rules and keep busy. I always log on here when I have a craving. Reading success stories seem to help keep them at bay! Good luck to you!

Matt, we are in the same boat...I had my surgery November 17th. I have my appointment this afternoon so I will let you know how it goes and what my Doctor says. 001_smile.gif

Awesome Raleigh, can't wait to see what your doc says.

Thanks for the input everyone. This really sucks. I've been good and I've kept my Protein high, my carbs low and my Water intake at around 2 liters a day. As well as keeping my calorie intake under 1500. Just sick of being hungry 24/7.

Matt, my surg was 11/14. I get hungry too, but find if I add some Isopure flavored, clear whey Protein to my Water, it keeps me from being hungry between meals. It's low-cal, no fat, 1 carbs. I mix it 3:1, twice a day. Hang in there!

Ok, so I went to the doctors this afternoon and when I asked him about being hungry, he said that my band has little to no restriction now (no fluid) and that I need to make sure I am having my 3 “meals” a day and 2-3 “snacks”. Since I am on pureed foods, I need to make sure that the quantity I am eating contains the required Protein to fill me up. My next appointment is on the 14th and he said that we will do a fill then so I have better restriction. I asked about doing one today but said that I am still healing. He assured me that once I started to eat more foods that my hunger would go away some. So I guess I will continue to hang in there and hope that when I introduce soft foods on Monday that the hunger will slow down. I also got clearance to go back to the gym to do cardio and Water aerobics (low impact with no strain on my core).

Keep us posted with what your doctor says on Monday!

So I had my appt today, everything looks good, I wasn't able to get filled today, but they did bump up my fill date a week and a half. So I'll just have to stick it out in Bandster Hell and keep counting my intake making sure to stay well under my burn. Sigh. Oh well, here's to trying right?

I was the same way the first two weeks after surgery then I could eat anything and alot. I had to push the food away even though I could have kept going. That is what you tell your Dr. because I was losing weight still but it was more my will power than feeling full and satisfied and your Dr. doesn't want that. He or she wants you to feel full after a half to a cup of food. After 3 fills I am finally there. A cup or less is all I can do. So be very honest with your Dr. and you will get to the green zone I promise. I was thinking I wouldn't get there but here I am. Also it seemed everytime I got a fill that I thought it had worked but then like after surgery it kind of goes away. But just remember that one of the fills will work. Could be the first or fourth but you'll get there.

Hang in there Matt. There aren't many docs that give fills in less than 4 weeks. I had my post op appt a week after surgery and my 1st fill 3 weeks after surgery, but that is not the norm. Hang in there ... and here on this forum for support getting through "Banster Hell". Even with getting my first fill 3 weeks out, I didn't hit my sweet spot for several months. Everyone is different so I will keep a good thought for you that your sweet spot will come quickly.

Whoever said "this is a marathon, not a sprint" definitely did NOT lie. LOL

All the best to you on your journey.

~F