Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Year After Lap Band Surgery........

Today is my one rear bandiversary and I couldn't be happier with it!!! I am asked often about my surgery and am very open about it. When I am asked if I would do it again, I say "In a heartbeat!" I met my doctor's goal weight at ten months post op and since then have lost another six pounds or so which puts me about ten pounds out from my personal goal. Truthfully if I didn't lose another pound, I would be completely happy because I am finally at a normal BMI for the first time in at least 15 years. I have had relatively no complications, except for being too tight and getting a slight unfill last month, and I will probably get another slight unfill next week. I still have no hunger pains which is great, but I also don't have a full sensation very often either. I hope this post can be encouraging to someone out there. I know the band is not for everyone, but it worked for me. Good luck to everyone on their lap-band journey :)

Wow that is very inspiring. I was banded Oct 12th and life if getting better every week. I have some work but doing great and cant keep my pants up even after I buy the next size down.. LOL Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for sharing your story! I haven't been as open about telling people about my surgery for a couple of reasons which most people who have struggled with their weight can probably relate to. First, I don't want people to judge me, monitor what I'm eating, etc. Second, I thought I'd fail. I've failed at so many diets or failed to keep weight off that I did lose and I just couldn't deal with what other people would say. I'm not usually a person that really worries about stuff like that but when it comes to weight, I just couln't bear to fail again. Now, I've only lost 30-35 lbs in 11 months so I've had those "failure" thoughts go through my head but my cholesterol is down (even though I still have to be on a statin) my fasting blood sugar went from 176 to 102 and I'm only on 5 mg of blood pressure medicine just as a safety procaution by my primary doc. I feel so much better and I know that I will get to a healthy weight but it will just take longer than other people. I'd be happy at 160 lbs even though my bmi says I should be 140-145. Again, congratulations on your wonderful success and for posting your story.

Tough day today pre-op diet and full day of testing. I was starting to doubt my decision and actually shed a tear. Posts like these are what keep on this journey. I intend to pay it forward myself to other newbies in the future. Thank You coming back and sharing!

I'm so happy for you!! A year... That's what inspires me to get the surgery. To think in a year or so I can reverse everything I've done wrong the last 12+ years... I know there is going to be some hard work ahead, but knowing that it works is wonderful. Reading other peoples success stories is really helping me get thru the waiting period required by my insurance (monitered weight loss program).

Thank you to everyone for your great comments :) It is completely worth it and I am so glad I went through with it!!!

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Congratulations!

Hurray! You have done fantastic,and you ARE an inspiration for others. Congrats, again. Karen

You must be so proud of everything you've achieved in the past year!

Today (12/30/11) is my 1 year Bandaversary!! I can't believe how fast the year has gone! I've lost around 79 lbs and I am thrilled!

It is easier to move around, my ankles don't hurt anymore, and it always amazes me when I can just "stand up" from a sitting position without holding on to anything, or grunting on the way up. Buying clothes off the rack without going to the Plus size section, is pretty cool too. I can cross my legs again, fit, with room to spare in a movie seat, and ride rollercoasters with my grandkids again.

I am often asked if I would do the band again. My answer is ABSOLUTELY!! It hasn't always been easy, but keep your eye on the prize and realize that the band doesn't DO the magic, YOU do the magic. You have to work the band, and follow the rules. The most amazing part for me is the food choices that I make now. I used to go into a restaurant and choose off the menu whatever I thought would "for sure" fill me up and how much can I get for my money.

Now I look at a menu and think, gosh..I'll never eat all of that. Never in my life thought I would order a cup of Soup at a restaurant or eat 2 to 3 pieces of popcorn chicken and feel full. Sure, there are times I have my own little pity party about not eating things that aren't healthy for me, like bread, pizza, and popcorn! But then I think to myself that eating those things are what got me to 254 lbs! I am at 175 now, and I feel great!

Keep your eye on the prize and instead of thinking "I can't eat this" change it to "this isn't healthy for me". "can't eat this" is a negative. keep your thoughts positive and Celebrate yourself everyday!

Best wishes to you all.