Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holy Slime!!!

These past 3-4 days I have been getting stuck and slimming atleast once a day, haven't done anything different...My last fill was on 11/7 and it was .6 with a total of 5.5cc's. Could it just now be working? Am I too tight? Those stuck episodes are no joke! What do you all do when you are stuck? Can my band mess up from it? I'm not overeating, probably just a bit too fast. I used to eat like that with no problem but now all of a sudden it's a problem.

One more questions, why don't chips get stuck? OMG! I feel like I can eat those all day, but I stop myself :/

Somebody please reply to this, I'm having the exact same thing going on right now...and I know what you mean about the chips, unfortunately! Had to ban myself from buying any.

Well...in MY experience...When I have gotten stuck in the past it generally has started with only one wrong move like swallowing something by accident before I have chewed it well. It happens because yes, I keep my band very snug. (but still comfortable) So one wrong swallow and I suffer for days. What ends up happening is simple really. You get stuck, you slime and BAM you have irritated your stomach and it swells around your band making you more restricted, kinda like how you were the first little while after surgery.

The only way I can remedy this without having an unfill (which I hate to do because in only days you see that you can eat way too much again and need to go back in for a refill) is go back to the basics from right after surgery. Clear liquids for a day, full liquids for a day, then mushy food. It gives your band a chance to rest to get the swelling back down. Works for me, try it...hope it works for you too :)

As far as the chip thing goes...well just look at them, if you dip them in Water, they instantly turn to mush. Therefore, they will easy slide through the band, you could eat the whole bag if you wanted. Because they are so thin I tend not to chew them up well enough and swallow too soon, so I end up feeling like I have a whole potatoe in my gut. It's so uncomfortable that I don't even crave them any more which is an AWESOME thing! I am however able to eat corn chips & tortilla chips, oh and pretzels. Since they have more texture, I can tell when they aren't chewed up good enough, so I am more aware of when it's time to go down the hatch. I would venture to guess that if you want to have some chips and you like these kinds you will get full and pretty fast. (Again, dip one of those in water, they don't desolve, not quickly anyway.)

As far as messing up your band...it could. There is the possibility of having your band slip. You want to avoid sliming, vomiting etc. at all cost. What have I done when I am stuck? Panic!! LOL. No really, a few things I have done are: I reach up to the sky and stretch as tall as I can then rotate my torso from left to right. I have bounced up and down to help shake things up a bit. I have tried the meat tenderizer thing...just barfed, didn't work and it tasted nasty. If you deeply massage the area where your ribs meet that helps the discomfort and can help move things along. The last thing I have done is have my husband pound as hard as I can stand up and down my band...helps the discomfort and can help get things moving too. I have however been stuck to the point of no return. It meant a trip for an unfill after not eating for 6 days and only dribbles of Water would go down. I was miserable and don't recommend waiting that long. I lost 12 lbs that week...very bad way to do it!

I just went through the multi-day stuck. Only thing that worked for me was the “Drano” thing 1/3 hot diet coke (not cold) 1/3 lemon or lime juice, 1/3 meat tenderizer. Took 3 drinks first two come straight up so be in bathroom, third drink went right through no longer stuck. Believe me I tried everything. I gets worst if you lay down so put pillow behind you to prop you up in bed till unstuck. As long as you are still stuck you will continue to slime, just being swollen should not make you slime.

It is very nasty but I was about 48 or more hours stuck and would have tried anything.

Cheri

shrinkAdink_05/10: you have been through a lot I do not think I could make it 6 days 3 days and I was ready to just scream.

Cheri

I have these same episodes but, I have found a trick and the taste is not as unpleasant as that drano mix. When you go to the store look with the Multivitamins and look for Papaya Enzyme, they are chewable and very pleasant tasting. You could eat a bite of a papaya also but that gets expensive. This helps to get that blockage out. I know the trick is to stop before you get to that point but, if it happens try this .... Good Luck

I had this a couple of times from a fill, my band seemed to tighten after a couple of weeks, not sure why it happens i just was more careful after that. Eating too fast is definitely as bad as not chewing enough :). I tend to just make sure i am sitting upright when eating and if it does get stuck i havent found much worked for me except walking around and sometimes a heat pad on my back would feel comforting if nothing else !.

Looks like we got some answers! I tried not buying chips for the house, but I feel bad cause my kids like them every now and then and it's not their fault they are like a drug to me ;) LOL!

Somebody please reply to this, I'm having the exact same thing going on right now...and I know what you mean about the chips, unfortunately! Had to ban myself from buying any.

THANK YOU!!! All this information you gave me is very helpful!

Well...in MY experience...When I have gotten stuck in the past it generally has started with only one wrong move like swallowing something by accident before I have chewed it well. It happens because yes, I keep my band very snug. (but still comfortable) So one wrong swallow and I suffer for days. What ends up happening is simple really. You get stuck, you slime and BAM you have irritated your stomach and it swells around your band making you more restricted, kinda like how you were the first little while after surgery.

The only way I can remedy this without having an unfill (which I hate to do because in only days you see that you can eat way too much again and need to go back in for a refill) is go back to the basics from right after surgery. Clear liquids for a day, full liquids for a day, then mushy food. It gives your band a chance to rest to get the swelling back down. Works for me, try it...hope it works for you too smile.png

I just went through the multi-day stuck. Only thing that worked for me was the “Drano” thing 1/3 hot diet coke (not cold) 1/3 lemon or lime juice, 1/3 meat tenderizer. Took 3 drinks first two come straight up so be in bathroom, third drink went right through no longer stuck. Believe me I tried everything. I gets worst if you lay down so put pillow behind you to prop you up in bed till unstuck. As long as you are still stuck you will continue to slime, just being swollen should not make you slime.

It is very nasty but I was about 48 or more hours stuck and would have tried anything.

Cheri

Interesting! Tank you, I haven't heard of the Drano mixture, I will try anything when I'm feeling like that!

Thanks everyone! Honestly I have never been stuck for more that 10 minutes, It either comes up or I have to make it come up. There is no way i could go days! Wow! I didn't even know that was possible, I REALLY have to be careful!

I have found that my "Draino" is wine! Seriously! Especially red wine - small sips helps unclog you or prevents you from PBing. The key is small sips and you can actually feel it declogging. Now I realize this might not be a good solution for work, but in the evening it would work martini_shaken.gif

I have found that my "Draino" is wine! Seriously! Especially red wine - small sips helps unclog you or prevents you from PBing. The key is small sips and you can actually feel it declogging. Now I realize this might not be a good solution for work, but in the evening it would work martini_shaken.gif

Ha ha!! I love it! I have "slimed" 3 times, and that is 3 times too many. Each time was from too big a bit and not chewing enough before swallowing. You just feel so normal sometimes, chit chatting and talking, etc., that you forget! Anyway, it sounds by comparison that mine aren't too bad-- I go to the bathroom and sort of burp, etc., and spit up alot. I'm sure you have all done that. It has cleared in a few minutes. I too cannot imagine it going for hours or days!! I worry about stretching the stomach in such episodes and maybe moving/dislocating the band, so I hope I've seem my last slimping or anything episode! Good luck to you all!