Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What To Eat/drink Before And After Workout?

Any ideas? Want to make sure that I am doing the right thing.

Do I eat a Protein Bar before or after? Drink a Protein Drink? Eat a Peanut Butter sandwich???

Help!

Thanks.

I'm sure everyone is different but, as for myself, If I eat before a workout I get sick during the workout so, mine is to eat after the workout. I do remember one of my meetings where they mentioned drinking Gatorade G2 or Powerade Zero as a replacement for the Water you lose during a workout. Good Luck I hope you figure it out.

Jrowe1971,

Thanks for posting. I appreciate the info.

And AWESOME on the loss!!! Congrats!!!

Glad you posted this !! i also ask to !!

durning my work out ( 4mph up hill treadmill) i drink Water and sometimes a Isopure drink, and after i will have a shake,

Cant wait to see what others say !!

teeth_smile.gif

Most of the time, I go to the gym at 6 am. So I have my Breakfast before I go so I have some energy. For breakfast I have a Protein Shake, a Protein supplement, Vitamins. coffee Is the first thing I have when I wake up.

When I workout in the afternoon, I don't eat anything prior other than my regular breakfast lunch regime. I have my dinner after my afternoon workout.

I go to a gym that has a sauna, steam room and whirlpool.

I consume 28-32 oz's of Water after every workout while sitting in these for about 45 minutes. Mixed with that is "Special K" ice tea mix that has 5 gm protein and 0 calories.

I drink Water during and after, thats it. I truly find it senseless to eat before and after a workout unless it was mealtime anyway. The whole point is to create calorie deficit for weight loss!

Ive never run out of energy - again the whole point is to force your body to burn stored fat so why provide more fuel?

Unless your reasons for exercise are not wight loss of course.

I have taken on energy during very long runs and made sure to eat well that day, but 45 minutes on a gym machine is not a level of work that requires sports supplements.< /p>

You should never workout without loading up on Protein, and you should always finish a workout with another dose of protein. Not only does protein provide energy, but it also supplies your body with the necessary amino acids to build muscle. I always use a supplement such as NO Shotgun 20 minutes before a workout, followed by a mid workout drink such as extend. Then I usually try to have another source of protein such as chicken or cheese within 30 minutes of the finish of the workout.

And all you women don't feed me that line "I don't want to bulk up, I only want to tone" That has got to be the most damaging line to weight loss in all of history.

I wasn't wanting to eat a full meal before working out. I usually work out right before either lunch or dinner. Wasn't sure if I was supposed to drink a Protein drink before or after. Some days I am starving while working out and thought maybe if I had a protein drink or something right before that would keep me going until my post-workout meal.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I knew I'd heard before something about what to eat/drink before or after but couldn't remember what it was.

I drink an organic low fat chocolate milk after each workout. It has the perfect 4 carb to 1 Protein ratio to promote rebuilding of muscle. Both my strength training coach and my triathlon coach recommended it. It also helps reduce muscle soreness after really intense workouts. In order for it to be effective, you have to drink it within 45 minutes of completing your workout. This is the only time I have something sweet like this because it's the only time your body can effectively burn sugar (right after a workout). Sometimes I work out just for the chocolate milk!

I drink an organic low fat chocolate milk after each workout. It has the perfect 4 carb to 1 Protein ratio to promote rebuilding of muscle. Both my strength training coach and my triathlon coach recommended it. It also helps reduce muscle soreness after really intense workouts. In order for it to be effective, you have to drink it within 45 minutes of completing your workout. This is the only time I have something sweet like this because it's the only time your body can effectively burn sugar (right after a workout). Sometimes I work out just for the chocolate milk!

Do you have a name - brand I can look up?

Kitty, make sure you stay hydrated during your workout and you should have Protein immediately after.

Jrowe, you are doing awesome! Good for you! BTW, my birthday is March 12 also!

I drink either Horizon or Organic Valley. One is closer to 4 to 1 than the other and I can't remember which right now!

I eat before so that I work it off, and also dont feel like massive crap for eating what i just busted my ass for at the gym.

Then I come home and have a nice healthy Protein Shake. :)

Eat a good carb before going to workout, IMMEDIATELY AFTER drink a Protein Shake. Always make sure that you are hydrated.

Eat a good carb before going to workout, IMMEDIATELY AFTER drink a Protein Shake. Always make sure that you are hydrated.