Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Hate Exercise! Need Suggestions!

With a 3yo daughter, zumba is a great idea because she'll probably like to do it too! My just-turned-4yo loves to zumba with me!

I also hate exercising! I do enjoy Zumba and other "dance" style of classes offered thru the gym. The dance studio my daughter attends just recently added a mom dance class - so much fun. I am not into running but also like the competitive part of 5k's - I don't "train" for them but will participate whenever there is one locally. This past year we also got into the more adventure type of races - Warrior Dash, Jailbreak run, Spartan Race - they are challenging but so much fun.

I HATE exercise, too. Along with the great suggestions so far add in, just being more active. Take your daughter to the zoo (if you have one) or the park on the weekends. Go to the mall and do a lap around before starting your shopping.

Go to the touristy areas near you and sight see while walking around. Anything that gets you off your couch (where i love to be) is a good thing. Look for unconventional ideas. I got into martial arts of all things. I did it for 6 years. I'd have never guessed I'd love something like that. But I found a great teacher and class and went through to black belt. Tai Chi or yoga could be fun.

Community Colleges often have classes for little to no money in many different things.

I hated exercise, but now I love it! I started out doing the Walk Away the Pounds dvd and the Wii Fit. I still do the Wii and have added resistance in there as well as some sort of cardio dvd for the day. I love the Biggest Loser Cardio Max dvd and asked for 3 more Biggest Loser dvds for Christmas. I will still pop in the Walk Away the Pounds. I am really fond of Cardio Hip Hop and I have all the Richard Simmons Sweating to the Oldies dvds. I mix it up. When the weather gets warmer, I will take my exercise back outside. I was walking about 3 miles a day and I really enjoyed it with my Ipod. I am also thinking about purchasing a bike (arthritis in both knees) when the weather gets nice again.

Thanks again, for all of the suggestions. I am trying to be more active no matter what I am doing during the day. I will soon be incorporating exercise as an activity and not just during my everyday routine. I cannot do high-impact exercise like running because of bad knees and a spine problem but all of the others sound great!

OK like everyone else on here, I didnt love the exercize at first either, but I made myself stick with a routine and now I love it. As far as the boredom, pick things that you like to do. I ride my bike for long distances and really torch some calories and it doesnt even seem like I am exercizing because I just love being outside and riding my bike. I also am playing on an adult volley ball league. We all suck so I dont feel embarrassed by my lack of skills on the court because all of us are awful, but we have a ball playing and get exercize while we are laughing at each other. I roller skate and ice skate now. I am going snow skiing in january. There are so many things you can do that are fun. The other good thing about exercizing is that you are staying busy instead of sitting on the couch thinking about what snack you are going to eat next. I absolutely love it now. I am more energetic than most of my daughters teenage friends. Its tough getting started but you will enjoy it once you get going. I also like the suggestion of getting a calorie counter. I wear a Body Media fit band and I plug it up every evening to see what my calorie deficit is after working out. If I am not on track to burn at least 1000 more calories than what I took in, I will jump on my treadmill at home for a bit to make sure I achieve my daily goal. That will ensure I take off at least 2 pounds per week. Usually I burn more and lose more than that. It just gives me a little accountability.

Good luck! Now get up off that couch and get started!!

My favorites are group exercises. Treadmills are not fun for me. I agree with everyone that has mentioned Zumba. Great fun, and burns LOTS of calories. I know how you fee about lack of time, since I have taken classes for masters and doctorate. BUT, you'll be surprised how much better you feel with exercise as part of your week also.

For those of you who have Fios TV (or probably a lot of other cable companies), I found Walking Away the Pounds under Free Videos on Demand. I started it this weekend. There are also a lot of other free exercise videos. It gives you the opportunity to see what suits you before you spend the $$$.