Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How To Know When You Are Full

hi, i recently had the lap-band done. i was wondering what are the signs to look for to know if you are eating enough or if you have eaten to much? can someone please help me?

I start to hiccup if i eat too much. If I eat too fast I feel a great lump in my chest and have learnt to stop eating until it passes. That can also hit if I eat when stressed eg today my son was involved in a car accident, fortunately minor, but I had terrible trouble eating dinner.< /p>

I, also, hiccup. And I feel a fullness, at the top of my stomach; I guess that is the top of the tube. Once, I experience that feeling, I stop eating. If I don't, there could be a bad experience following! Karen

I get the hiccup too, but I don't fill up. I wish I did. one more fill this week coming up. Hope that does it.

I was banded 6 weeks ago. Going for my first fill on 12/1. When I get full, I feel it in my chest. Sometimes I get the same shoulder pain I had after surgery. I can tell I need a fill because I can eat more than a few weeks ago and I get hungry. I've been losing weight consistently, but have been monitoring my food with weight watchers. It keeps me in check and gives me the parameters I need. Everyone is different, just try to be aware of your body's signals and stop eating at the first sign of fullness.

Good luck!

Arlene

So far I am having a hard time determining when I am full. Lately I've been getting stuck when I eat too much.

But, I have noticed a few times I will have ONE hiccup...when that happens, I STOP eating!! I think that is my SOFT STOP signal...when I eat past that, I get stuck.

Tonight as I ate dinner I didn't hiccup, but I stopped when what little was on my plate was empty. Trying to avoid that hiccup.

I still have a problem figuring it out. It's only been a week but I really need to learn to eat slow! I made really soupy mashed potatoes but ate way to fast. They r obviously not stuck but I'm so full from eating so fast. Hard habit to break I guess

Eating slow, and learning to put the fork down does help allot.

Listening to your Body helps even more I think.

If I Hiccup 1 x it means your full. 2 x means you ate to much stop ! or you will get stuck.

If I get the Hiccups, well then I got the Hiccups. It does happen.

I do have to admit that I get that hiccup also when I'm full. The best thing to do is learn how far you can go before the hiccup and stop there. If you do go too far I will recommend you get Papaya Enzyme and take one when you feel stuck. Good luck, I hope you figure it out.

my nose starts to run,when i am full

I also get hiccups and a runny nose.

When do these "signals" start. I'm 7 weeks out from surgery and have had one fill. I do have restriction on how fast and what I can eat, but as far as qty, I never hiccup during a meal or feel full. I don't have anything to tell me I'm full. Does this come later? As long as I eat slow and chew well, I can eat about 2+ cups of food.< /p>

It will come later after a few fills.

For now go on myfitnesspal.com and log in what you are eating. It will keep track of your calories, and Protein, so you don't go over. Exercise is also recorded.

You can look at other peoples Diary and get ideas what they are eating. This helps...

But yep this comes in time. For now it's up to you to take care of it.

I get a runny nose and a hiccup. Those are the "soft" stops you want to learn to look and feel for. I would strongly recommend getting the book titled "Band Wagon". It's an excellent resource and a good read. For about 3 or 4 weeks after my last fill, I was confusing full with stuck. I would get that tightness under my breast bone and then produce more saliva and I thought I was getting stuck cause I felt like it needed to come back up. If I'd only had a bite or 2 of something, my mind couldn't understand or comprehend that I could possibly be full...I had to be stuck. Turns out, I needed to slow down and realize that I was simply full. I'm amazed every day at just how little food I actually need. When you've been an overeater for so long and portions in general are enormous (hence the reason American's are so fat!) It's really hard to adjust your mind's view on what portion is actually necessary. This realization is a part of the journey and it's kind of refreshing. At first, I got a little mad when I couldn't eat something in it's entirety...I felt a little jipped but I had to work through that and say to myself....it's not like you're never going to eat again...if it was that delicious just have it again at the next meal. It seems so simple yet it took being banded to see the light!

Good luck!

Shelley64 I absolutely Love your advice it helped me, esp. the comment "It's not like you're never going to eat again...if it was that delicious just have it again... Really hit home THANKS