Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nyc Lap Band - Dr. Shawn Garber?

Yes, I am presently in the process of trying to get lap-band surgery with this group. My doctor in this group is Dr. Angstadt. I'm somewhat please with the group (about 70% pleased). I'm still waiting on approval and a surgery date. You kind of have to stay on top of them if you want things done at your pace. The office is very busy so don't expect alot of one on one attention. You kind of have to call and harrass them about certain things. I wish I went with Dr. Alan Geiss and North Shore Syosset. I heard lots of good things about his group. I don't want to change now, I'm too far ahead in the process.

I had surgery with Dr. Garber. I am 100% happy with them! I have not had the experience where I have to push them for things. Everything pre-op and post-op has gone great. I had my first appt in December and had surgery in March. Everything went very smoothly. Since my 1 week postop I have not seen Dr. Garber, I personally don't have an issue with that, I feel that I can see him if I need to. He also answers emails pretty quickly. I see the PA's - Donna and Irina. I am very happy with them. I feel they take the time to answer my questions and accomodate my needs with no problems. The office is super busy and you usually have a pretty long wait.

Overall I have had a very positive experience with Dr. Garber and the staff. Choosing a doctor is a very personal decision and I can only share my own experience so far. Best of luck to you!

Just wanted to update. Now have surgery date and pre-op test date. On day of pre-op tests, I will also attend a class about what to expect. Very excited, but getting a teeny bit nervous as well.

Banter- did you have the surgery? All good? I'm scheduled w/ Garber end of this month.

Banter- did you have the surgery? All good? I'm scheduled w/ Garber end of this month.

Yes, had the surgery. Everything went well.

Dr. Garber and his PAs , Donna and Irina were/are all great.

Some nervousness right before going into the OR, but anesthesia was terrific and very calming.

Post op , lots of walking every 2 hours through the night. Hospital staff were great and very patient and attentive.

Little to no pain post op.

Got dehydrated at home and couldn't get down enough Water, so they removed some Fluid from the band, instant relief!

I can't say enough about the kindness and caring from Dr. Garber and his staff. Yes, the office is busy, but if you know that going in, it's ok.

I took off one week from work. That was perfect.

Losing weight steadily. Had one " stuck" episode with some beef..... That will not happen again! Lesson painfully learned!

I am very happy with my lap band and also with Dr. Garber's care and concern. He has a wonderful group of staff as well.

Thanks! I'm having my surgery with him may 30. I'm doing outpatient. Looking forward to my journey!

Did he fill ur band when u had the surgery? Or did you have to wait to get ur first fill? I'm doing it outpatient in the city, not in the hospital on long island.

How much is the surgery (self pay) with Dr. Garber?

I contacted dr. Gerber's office and they wouldn't take my insurance which is health plus with Medicaid. I then contacted Dr. Geiss is syosset.... And my first consultation is on Tuesday 7/31. The staff has been very helpful so far.

I believe Dr. Garber's office does not take any insurance. I have bcbs federal and I had to go out of network. I was told that as long as your insurance pays 75% they will take that as a full payment. I have had no issues with billing.

I had my surgery dec 2011 not with dr garber but with dr angstadt. He took my insurance which is Oxford/united healthcare. I don't think that office takes Medicaid. Any other insurance if accepted is ok for payment. My experience has been well with them. Ive lost 77 pounds so far on minimal fills. I'm at 4.5 cc and I don't think I want another for a long time. Don't wanna become a bulemic.