Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Intro - 3 Days Post Op

Hi there,

I'm Nikki!

11/1 Pre Surgery Weight (pre clear liquid diet) - 256 lbs on bp meds

11/16 Surgery Date Weight - 243 lbs

11/19 3 days post surgery - 240 lbs (haven't seen this weight since before my 1st kid 6 years ago!)

I had my surgery Wed (11/16). Surgery went great and although I'm still recovering, I'm about 75% back up to power. Pretty amazing. I've had a few discomforts, mainly in my neck and shoulders, which I believe is gas pains. But honestly, it's pretty much resided. The port site is a little tender yet, but all-in-all feeling pretty good. Even made a trip to the grocery to get a blender and non-clear liquids (yay!). Since going on the clear liquid diet 7 days before my surgery, I've lost 16 pounds. Not the best way, but I do already feel better without the extra poundage. I'm super excited and super nervous about my first fill. I travel for my job, so swinging the diet and appointments will be tricky, but I'm in this for the long run!

So a little background, I'm from Southern Indiana, farm living. We were always taught to clean our plates.. lick them if you have to. Portion Control has always been an issue for me. Growing up, I wasn't necessarily overweight, but "big-boned". Through high school, after getting into a long term relationship, I went from a size 8 to a size 20. After that relationship ended and I was in my early 20's, I dropped back to a size 8. The next upswing was after I was married and pregnant, I was back up to 230 lbs, heavier than ever. Second kiddo took me up to 260 lbs. Although, I've always cared about how I look and tried to maintain some self esteem, I was getting pretty low.

Finally, the light bulb flicked on super bright when I miscarried due to super high blood pressure. I'm not sure if the miscarrage was due to my BP or the other way around, but in a bitter sweet way, it really kind of saved me. At that point, I knew my insurance covered the lap band surgery and started check out the options. That was a year ago.

I'm looking forward to tracking the progress and getting read about others that are experiencing the same successess and trials that I am. Although I have God, my husband/kids, and awesome friends for support, it's always good to know you're not alone in this!

Hi - welcome! Glad to hear things are going well so far. Banded 10/14 and had 2 fills so far. They are surprisingly simple and painless. Just follow the liquid diet for a day or so afterwards and you'll be fine. Good luck on your journey!!

Thank you for the advice! I appreciate it!

Hi I was banded the same day .... I was have stomach growling but nit really hungry ..... wish you well

Welcome and good luck on your journey.

Hope things continue to go well for you...I have my surgery on Dec 2nd...Im a little nervous but Im ready for this...Im ready for a change...God bless...

Hi there,

I'm Nikki!

11/1 Pre Surgery Weight (pre clear liquid diet) - 256 lbs on bp meds

11/16 Surgery Date Weight - 243 lbs

11/19 3 days post surgery - 240 lbs (haven't seen this weight since before my 1st kid 6 years ago!)

I had my surgery Wed (11/16). Surgery went great and although I'm still recovering, I'm about 75% back up to power. Pretty amazing. I've had a few discomforts, mainly in my neck and shoulders, which I believe is gas pains. But honestly, it's pretty much resided. The port site is a little tender yet, but all-in-all feeling pretty good. Even made a trip to the grocery to get a blender and non-clear liquids (yay!). Since going on the clear liquid diet 7 days before my surgery, I've lost 16 pounds. Not the best way, but I do already feel better without the extra poundage. I'm super excited and super nervous about my first fill. I travel for my job, so swinging the diet and appointments will be tricky, but I'm in this for the long run!

So a little background, I'm from Southern Indiana, farm living. We were always taught to clean our plates.. lick them if you have to. Portion Control has always been an issue for me. Growing up, I wasn't necessarily overweight, but "big-boned". Through high school, after getting into a long term relationship, I went from a size 8 to a size 20. After that relationship ended and I was in my early 20's, I dropped back to a size 8. The next upswing was after I was married and pregnant, I was back up to 230 lbs, heavier than ever. Second kiddo took me up to 260 lbs. Although, I've always cared about how I look and tried to maintain some self esteem, I was getting pretty low.

Finally, the light bulb flicked on super bright when I miscarried due to super high blood pressure. I'm not sure if the miscarrage was due to my BP or the other way around, but in a bitter sweet way, it really kind of saved me. At that point, I knew my insurance covered the lap band surgery and started check out the options. That was a year ago.

I'm looking forward to tracking the progress and getting read about others that are experiencing the same successess and trials that I am. Although I have God, my husband/kids, and awesome friends for support, it's always good to know you're not alone in this!

Amen for having God on your side...Me too ... He's always there with us !!

First I like to say congrats and thank you sharing. I have been following few people and after their surgery they don't update. For us newbies that are still in pre-op it's good to hear other's experience. I intend to return the favor soon :)

Secondly, although it was sad that you miscarried ...I would say that your unborn child served a purpose. It was you ah-ha moment. Everyone's life serves a purpose in this world and for him or her it was perhaps to save your life, for you to get healthy and live longer for your other children. That child will always be in heaven watching over you while you go on this journey and into a new part of your life.

Good luck and wish all the success!

Hi Nikki!

Thank you for posting, many of us on this site are in pre-op stages and are so "HUNGRY" for information. We want to know the good, bad and ugly. Please keep posting so we can understand what is coming and support each other along the way! I can't wait to be in your place!!

Thank you all for your kind words, it's nice to be able to discuss the pros and cons amongst people that understand the struggle with food.

I'm not sure about you all, but I've been a bit hard on myself on a) letting myself get to this point with my weight and B) not sharing this process with a whole lot of friends and family, due to being afraid of what they might think. Silly, I know, but I do care what others think. But honestly, in the last week, I've decided it doesn't matter what they think, I am doing this for me and for my husband and kids. I want to be around to see them grow up and weight and health issues due to weight run strongly in my family..I'm not going to let it get me! Thankfully, the majority of my friends and family have given nothing great responses.

I will certainly continue to post my progress, especially after my 1st fill!