Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hungry After Lap Band Surgery

I am starting to get hungry now. I eat and I still want more. What do I do? There are other times when I am not really hungry but I don't fill full and I just want something. I'm afraid I will over eat and mess something up. Even if I did over eat, how would I know? I am going on 3wks post-op. My first fill is scheduled for 12/12/11. What do I do?

I had hoped for some advice but I understand people have their own issues to deal with.

Thank you for allowing me to post. I will research the forums for suggestions.

I am 3 weeks postop as well and get hungry usually about 2 hours after eating. So I may eat something but after a few bites feel full again. So luckily that stops me from over eating. My first fill in on Dec 6th and I can't wait.

I just try and keep busy and stay away from food. And continue to drink fluids, sometimes that helps the hunger pass as well.

Please let me know if it works. What are you eating now?

Also, the Protein shakes help deaden the hunger some. Everyone is different.

So, hope it helps...

I too am HUNGRY and its only six day post op. I can see that this is a common song. Can someone tell us how to manage it. I keep dreaming of dill pickles and carrots.

~ Fivey

I feel hungry at weird times. Sometimes I am good to go on just a little bit and I say full for hours, other days I feel like I could eat a house and I would be starving! I'm just trying to follow the rules.... I am really hoping the first fill helps.

Don't feel alone in that hunger thing. I have my first fill on Dec. 1, and my stomach is starting to growl! I try to eat as much Protein as I can to fill me up, but I still feel "empty" sometimes. Now it is mind over matter. I need support, I am afraid I am going to over eat come Thanksgiving. I think it is more of a mental challenge for me than anything else.

I measure everything to keep it under a cup, that tends to help the over eating part along with TRYING to make it last for 30min. I try drinking Protein Shakes and that's okay as long as I'm at home since they make me pooh. Drinking them at work isn't possible. But I still want to eat. I keep looking for the pre-signs that I am full but now I can't tell. I'm wondering it I have some how stretched my pouch. I wouldn't know what that feels like so I don't know. I get my first fill on Dec 12. I hope that helps. Does anyone eat Snacks and if so what and how long after you have eaten your meal?

I am 5 days post-op and I was STARVING. I was so hungry that I almost puked several times. I am able to start full liquids (malt o meal, thinned oatmeal) on Wednesday but I decided to make the executive decision and go ahead and make some very thin malt o meal. And it was the best. I got about 4 teaspoons down and was full. I realize doctors have rules for certain reasons, but not everyone is a textbook case. Some people aren't hungry for weeks after and some are starving immediately after. I know my own body, and I didn't push it. I ate enough to feel satisfied and it worked. And I am still losing weight. I lost 7 lbs since Saturday and am now feeling so much better!

I eat every 2 to 2 1/2 hours due to hunger. I have 8.5 cc's in a 14 cc's band and really do not feel I need more.I do eat a lot of Protein and drink all plus Water. It is just how my body likes it and I do not go over my calories. We are all different and our bodies react different. Judge for yourself and set up your own plan.

Don't worry. It happens to all of us. I am almost 5 months post op and I was there. Just keep drinking your Protein Shakes and soup(chicken broth). I had lots of cream of chicken Soup by Lipton. It's really good and not that many calories. The hunger should subside a bit from that. But hang in there you are doing great. Keep it up!

Thank you all for your support and advice. I am so glad I found this site.