Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need some opinions on a decision I'll need to make

I have a big decision I need to make and I hope you can give me some opinions. I have a great job that I love and I only work 10 months a year (education field). I love my boss and she gives me a lot of freedom and respects my input. I also run a summer school in July for my district. I start at 8am and I finish at 3:00 everyday. I make great money too. Sounds great right?

I wentto school to get an advanced degree and certs and now an opportunity has come around to be a supervisor. I applied and it seems I am the front runner. I would work 12 months a year and work until 4:30 everyday. I am guessing I'll make about 14k more a year. It would be a great career move and an exciting, though very busy job and help me gain administrative expperience.

But having 2 months off in the summer is hard to give up! My kids are older now so I don't have little ones at home anymore.

What would you do? I have asked everyone and they all seem as stuck as I am. I will need to make a decision very soon! All input is appreciated!!!!

I have a big decision I need to make and I hope you can give me some opinions. I have a great job that I love and I only work 10 months a year (education field). I love my boss and she gives me a lot of freedom and respects my input. I also run a summer school in July for my district. I start at 8am and I finish at 3:00 everyday. I make great money too. Sounds great right?

I wentto school to get an advanced degree and certs and now an opportunity has come around to be a supervisor. I applied and it seems I am the front runner. I would work 12 months a year and work until 4:30 everyday. I am guessing I'll make about 14k more a year. It would be a great career move and an exciting, though very busy job and help me gain administrative expperience.

But having 2 months off in the summer is hard to give up! My kids are older now so I don't have little ones at home anymore.

What would you do? I have asked everyone and they all seem as stuck as I am. I will need to make a decision very soon! All input is appreciated!!!!

Personally, at my age (54), I would rather have time than money. But I wish you all the best in whatever you choose. Do you have a commute at 3? Would you at 4:30.

Melinda

With as shaky as our economy is right now I would find it very difficult to turn my back on 14 grand a year! The new job could also be a stepping stone to bigger and better things. You must have applied for the job for a reason. If it were me, I'd take it!

I am 42 and would rather the time off than the $$$$$, just me! ;))

Personally, at my age (54), I would rather have time than money. But I wish you all the best in whatever you choose. Do you have a commute at 3? Would you at 4:30.

Melinda

Money is not everything. You have to weigh up the pros and cons of each.What are your future goals? How important is job satisfaction. Would you be able to cope with the extra hours? Do you need the money? How much extra would you spend on meals out etc because you are too tired to cook. Will the extra hours cause stress and subsequent medical bills.

I would draw up a long list and weigh each thing up very carefully.

I would love to have more money and all the things it can buy but I wouldn't go back to full time employment for anything. I love living a more relaxed lifestyle.

Thank you all for your input-I really appreciate it. One thing that stands out is job satisfaction-I like to be challenged and I would be charge of 10 people. I also have a ton of ideas that would improve our district. Also, I am in my 2nd marriage and very happy, but if the marriage should fall apart (it happened to a couple I know recently who I thought would never get divorced)-then this job would help out a lot. Also, God forbid, if anything happened to my Hubby -I would be in a better finacial state.

Ahhh...but those darn summers off!!! Even during holidays I would have to use my vac. days.

It's a tough decision! I was told I was the front runner and would probably be offered the job (from a very reliable source).

At age 48 I really do need to consider the big picture-whatever that means. A side note-over the last 8 years 3 supervisors have come and gone in this same position, so there's not a grat track record.

In considering the money I think you have to take the 12 month salary of the new job and compare it to the 10 month salary of the current job. It may not actually be a raise when you look at it like that...for me I would rather have time than money but at this point retirement is in order as is childs college needs...

I'll go out on a limb and give a different opinion - I'd take the money. But that's heavily dependent on life circumstances.At my stage, DH is 45, I'm 44, we have teenage children, still paying school fees, need a bigger house and have yet to start really investing heavily for our retirement, apart from superannuation. Its looking like we'll have to live on baked Beans for the next 20 years to get as wealthy as we thought we'd be. I've also given up a lot to raise kids and am really ready for a bit of selfish, personally motivated career glory :-)

i dont want the time at home, I feel bored, listless and non productive. I like being busy. I have too many worries to occupy my mind if I'm not busy.

It depends entirely as to what stage of life you're at. which end of the spectrum you fall at.

Thanks for the input! Jachurt-you really hit a nerve with me-I do get bored at home! It's not like my summers are action packed-I'm usually cleaning something! lol

I got the call from HR and they would like to offer me the position. Tomorrow I go in to find the exact details. I amm going to take the job. One thing I really didn't factor into the equation initially was that it's the kind of work I really enjoy and find extremely challenging. I feel best when I am productive and making an impact-which I think I can do with this job.

It's a big gamble because I have a great job now-but I do get restless and I thin I could benefit from a change. I will gain adminstrative experience which could open doors for me in the future. After 20 years teaching I am ready to try something different.

Thanks again for the replies-they really did help!

so what did you decide to do? are you happy with your decision?

I chose the higher paying, higher responsibility job where the trade in was that I have less of a life outside of work. But I am not unhappy. My job challenges me to the nth degree and I feel most alive when I achieve things. And should I not feel that way, it's easier to trade your job down that try to get that opportunity again to trade your job up.

I'm 42 and to me, I'm in the prime of my life as far as health and intelligence. The 40s is the time where we have so much to give in terms of maturity and experience too. If you want a career, I reckon this is the time to give it all you've got.

I hope you're enjoying the job....did you take it??

Im a single parent .I was in a situation last year where I made 100k .it was an elected position that involved a lot of travel and time away from my then 2 yr old.my term ended in October .I was offered a staff position in a similar organization with comparable pay about 85k but it involved just as much traveling.I turned it down. Now im making about 40k I am in the process of making a lot of adjustments and downsizing but I don't regret itmy son is 3 yrs old and I love taking him to karate and mommy and me sports etc.honestly it's a little tough but I wouldn't change it.there is a possibility for me to do comparable work without the travel at about 60k.I'm waiting on the yes! Wish me luck !!

in the words of my husband...

"never leave a good party in search of a better one"