Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What my doc said today...

So to make a long story short, I was originally getting the sleeve but the insurance will only cover the lapband. Due to that, I had to go back in to see my bariatric doctor to resign consent forms for the band. That whole office has been pushing the sleeve so I was, of course, disappointed that I couldn't have it. However, today he said that he believes I will be successful with the band. That because I'm "young, don't have much to lose, and have a low BMI" it should work really well for me. First off, I have 100 pounds to lose and am at 43-44 BMI. Last time I checked, that's the weight of a 10 year old. Anyways, that kinda just grated my nerves a bit. He also does both bands-Lap Band and the Realize Band. I didn't know this and had automatically assumed I would be getting the Realize band as I've heard that's a tiny bit better. However, he told me that for young people such as myself (I'm 27 btw) do better with the Lap Band...so I guess that's what I'm getting. Have any of you heard of that before? The good news is that my doctor has had only ONE patient with a complication. Also, she said they have a patient who has lost 100 pounds on the band. That made me feel better. Anyways, just thought I'd share my experience! Surgery is only 4 whole days away. Also, I've lost 8 pounds so far on the pre op diet. The diet sucks.

That,s really encouraging news from your Dr. Sounds like she is definitely on your team for success. I've lost more than 100lb in seven months. Best wishes

I have the lapband since 9-1-11 and have lost 35 pounds and I don't even think I am quite in the green zone yet. My sister had the lap band put on in March of this year and has lost 70 lbs. Niether my sister or I have had any problems. Good luck to you.

You have to be sure you want the band and know what you are getting into, the band is WORK. All weight loss surgeries are but the band is especially.

For the most part we still have to make good food choices and "diet" and work out and be careful to not "eat around our band" by eating junk food, because that stuff certainly goes down like butter.. We have to be patient, coming out of surgery you may not have restriction for months, it can take one or several fills before you feel any difference. I mean believe me, it works and helps ALOT, but it takes time and patience for most of us. You won't see results as fast as you would with the sleeve. I'm not saying you don't know what you are getting into, because I don't know what you've researched or been told. But, I find that ALOT of new banders have no idea that it involves work and patience, alot of newbies just think the weight is magically going to fall off right away in large amounts, that isn't always the case. You have to be prepared for every possible out come. This is life changing, just be sure that it is the right thing for you and that you WANT it, not just "guess" that it's what you're getting because they told you to.

I have a realize band, some will say the lap band is better some say realize is better. I really don't know what the difference is honestly or if one is really that much better than the other. I let my doctor choose which he thought was best for me.

You'll see that many people have lost 100lbs with the band, some less, others have lost even more than 100lbs, so it is definitely possible. I have (a total) of well over 100lbs to lose. I've lost 62 so far, and I still have about 90lbs to go to get down to an actual "normal" weight, but honestly I will be happy with a loss of another 60 or 70lbs. I try not to focus on numbers so much, I just want to look "normal" and I'll know when I get there.

My doctors also thought (and still think) I will do well with the band because of my age and also because I know how to eat right. I've lost weight tons of times, I just haven't ever been able to keep it off. So I guess all those years of practicing eating right are finally paying off. I'm a slow loser, I've lost alot less than what most people here lose within their first year but that's also because I have PCOS, this makes it even more difficult to lose weight. I'm happy with my progress and I'm actually happy that it's coming off slowly. It's giving me time to live and eat realisticly. If I was perfect at my eating and worked out 6 days a week, sure I'd be losing faster but I also know that that is not how I will live my life forever. Being gung-ho about excersing and eating rabbit food is just never a lasting thing for me and never will be, that's what got me so fat in the first place. So I do everything in moderation, I work out when I can and eat well 90% of the time. So I have to lose slower than most, so be it, I'm still losing. I think when doctors say that younger patients will do well with the band it is because younger people seem to be able to adapt to new things and change their habits a little easier, they also find it easier to be more active. Not to say that older patients don't, because many of them do well too.

You can do this too, and it can be right for you. You just have to be determined and don't get caught up on how everyone else did, or is doing. It's possible to lose the amount you need to lose, you just have to want it. I wish you the best of luck!

Sounds like your Doc is selling you on what he wants you to have (or maybe what he gets paid more to give you?) like most US doctors...they beat around the bush and give you a BS story until you eventually do what they want you to do, which puts the most money in their pocket. I was banded in Mexico 3 weeks ago and had an amazing experience. I have the 11cc Realize band, which is the oldest band there is and has been revamped and improved. The band they are using the most here in the US these days is a 14 cc band, and most of the time when they put it on you, there is already a fill in it because it is too big for most people to get ANY restriction at all. So, then, you will need many more fills to get to your "sweet spot" since the band is so large, which puts even MORE money in the doctors pockets. Maybe i'm wrong about all of this, but I just get the worst feeling when I go to the doctor here, especially after the experience I had down there. It's all about money in this country, they don't care about you. You're just a number. SO...good luck, fight when you feel it's right, and take care of YOURSELF because they certainly are NOT out to take care of you.

You have to be sure you want the band and know what you are getting into, the band is WORK. All weight loss surgeries are but the band is especially.

For the most part we still have to make good food choices and "diet" and work out and be careful to not "eat around our band" by eating junk food, because that stuff certainly goes down like butter.. We have to be patient, coming out of surgery you may not have restriction for months, it can take one or several fills before you feel any difference. I mean believe me, it works and helps ALOT, but it takes time and patience for most of us. You won't see results as fast as you would with the sleeve. I'm not saying you don't know what you are getting into, because I don't know what you've researched or been told. But, I find that ALOT of new banders have no idea that it involves work and patience, alot of newbies just think the weight is magically going to fall off right away in large amounts, that isn't always the case. You have to be prepared for every possible out come. This is life changing, just be sure that it is the right thing for you and that you WANT it, not just "guess" that it's what you're getting because they told you to.

I have a realize band, some will say the lap band is better some say realize is better. I really don't know what the difference is honestly or if one is really that much better than the other. I let my doctor choose which he thought was best for me.

You'll see that many people have lost 100lbs with the band, some less, others have lost even more than 100lbs, so it is definitely possible. I have (a total) of well over 100lbs to lose. I've lost 62 so far, and I still have about 90lbs to go to get down to an actual "normal" weight, but honestly I will be happy with a loss of another 60 or 70lbs. I try not to focus on numbers so much, I just want to look "normal" and I'll know when I get there.

My doctors also thought (and still think) I will do well with the band because of my age and also because I know how to eat right. I've lost weight tons of times, I just haven't ever been able to keep it off. So I guess all those years of practicing eating right are finally paying off. I'm a slow loser, I've lost alot less than what most people here lose within their first year but that's also because I have PCOS, this makes it even more difficult to lose weight. I'm happy with my progress and I'm actually happy that it's coming off slowly. It's giving me time to live and eat realisticly. If I was perfect at my eating and worked out 6 days a week, sure I'd be losing faster but I also know that that is not how I will live my life forever. Being gung-ho about excersing and eating rabbit food is just never a lasting thing for me and never will be, that's what got me so fat in the first place. So I do everything in moderation, I work out when I can and eat well 90% of the time. So I have to lose slower than most, so be it, I'm still losing. I think when doctors say that younger patients will do well with the band it is because younger people seem to be able to adapt to new things and change their habits a little easier, they also find it easier to be more active. Not to say that older patients don't, because many of them do well too.

You can do this too, and it can be right for you. You just have to be determined and don't get caught up on how everyone else did, or is doing. It's possible to lose the amount you need to lose, you just have to want it. I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks for your response! I am extremely motivated to use the band just as I would have the sleeve. If I sounded cynical, it's not because of the amount of weight I would have lost with the sleeve versus the band. I actually oringinally wanted the band before I found out about the sleeve because I would much rather lose the weight slowly. The complications involved with the band freak me out more than the complications involved with the sleeve (which I researched for 6 months so I can say that with confidence), the idea of a foreign object inside of me also is unnerving, as well as the constant upkeep. I live on a limited income, and going back to the doctors every 4 to 6 weeks will be another bill for me. That all being said, I am 100% confident with my decision to go forward with the band. I believe that I was prevented from getting the sleeve for a reason. I'm still a little pissed at the insurance company, and that the last 6 months of my life I have been preparing myself for a procedure that's not going to happen. But I am moving on. You made a lot of good points in your post. Thanks again!

That because I'm "young, don't have much to lose, and have a low BMI" it should work really well for me.

Actually, that's what my surgeon told me too, and I started at a BMI of 47.

He was right! It did work really well for me :) Good luck to you!

Edited to add: He chose to put in a lapband (the "regular size" he told me-- so the 10 or 11 cc one). He actually uses both brands, but for whatever reason he thought the lapband would be better for me and I trusted him to know more about it than I did. Actually, the fact that he uses both kinds made me trust him more, because I know he didn't put in one brand ONLY because he had a deal with the medical supplier to be brand loyal.

Actually, my surgeon uses all the bands and chooses based on the needs of the patient. She stated that they usually use the realize band and that I will be getting the 10 cc band. She said she generally uses the lap band on larger men because it can go to 14 cc. Otherwise she is able to use realize band on most people who like it better because the port is flatter and has less chance of showing (lump on your abdomen. She also stated it is empty initially but starting at 4 weeks she does fills every 2 weeks until you gain some restriction. All the fills, office appointments and follow up care are part of the overall fee, which is $10,000 using an outpatient surgery center. I happy to be self pay so I was happy there weren't additional charges.

Sounds like your Doc is selling you on what he wants you to have (or maybe what he gets paid more to give you?) like most US doctors...they beat around the bush and give you a BS story until you eventually do what they want you to do, which puts the most money in their pocket. I was banded in Mexico 3 weeks ago and had an amazing experience. I have the 11cc Realize band, which is the oldest band there is and has been revamped and improved. The band they are using the most here in the US these days is a 14 cc band, and most of the time when they put it on you, there is already a fill in it because it is too big for most people to get ANY restriction at all. So, then, you will need many more fills to get to your "sweet spot" since the band is so large, which puts even MORE money in the doctors pockets. Maybe i'm wrong about all of this, but I just get the worst feeling when I go to the doctor here, especially after the experience I had down there. It's all about money in this country, they don't care about you. You're just a number. SO...good luck, fight when you feel it's right, and take care of YOURSELF because they certainly are NOT out to take care of you.

I'm glad you're happy with your band, but after only three weeks, I'm surprised you have such a negative and judgmental attitude about things. Not everyone has that same experience. I've had a 14cc LapBand for nearly a year, and I've had zero complications. My doctor and his staff treat me with respect, they listen to me and answer my questions. I have never felt like a number, and I was at my sweet spot after just four fills. The additional three fine-tuning fills I've received were given only because I asked for them. I agree you have to take responsibility for your success, but not everyone needs to feel like they're being victimized. I certainly don't feel that way.

And to be clear, most people don't have restriction immediately after surgery because they're swollen, and the band needs time to heal in place. Fills come later. The purpose of the small fill in the band at surgery time is so it can be stitched to the stomach wall, so it will heal properly. Lapbands come in varying sizes, depending on the size the patient needs, and the surgeon puts in what the person needs. They are not one-size-fits-all.

Wishing you continued success with your journey.

Dave

the 11 cc realize band is not the oldest band there is either, there's plenty of us around with the 9.75 cm 4cc bands.

Sorry but your doctor has "one" patient who lost 100lb? How many bands has he/she done? Most practices would have loads of patients (or should have) who have lost 100lb or close to it.

felicia, I am sorry that you seem to have had a bad experience with a US doctor, but a blanket statement saying they are not out to take care of you is just plain wrong. My surgeon is a lovely, caring man who has a real connection with his patients and wants the best for them. I wouldn't have had anyone else but him do my surgery once I met him. And since I am a Medicare patient which means he made a lot less money on me, I was never treated subpar in anyway. Actually, he treats me like his most special patient, as I am sure he does to each and every one. Making blanket statements and assumptions is never the right thing to do. Good Luck to you and to the OP. I love my lapband and even though I am only 9 weeks out, I am very happy with the choice I made of the lapband.

the 11 cc realize band is not the oldest band there is either, there's plenty of us around with the 9.75 cm 4cc bands.

Sorry but your doctor has "one" patient who lost 100lb? How many bands has he/she done? Most practices would have loads of patients (or should have) who have lost 100lb or close to it.

I did NOT say he had "one" patient who lost 100lbs. I said he had only had one patient with a serious complication. The nurse was giving me an example of one of their current patients that has lost 100 pounds...I'm sure there were others. She was trying to make me feel better about the procedure.