Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is lapband surgery really easier than following a healthy diet/exercise plan? I hear of reflux, being stuck, slippage, fills, Vomiting, head hunger, Hair loss, not enjoying alcohol, Water not going down, pills not going down, constipation...etc. In all the research I have done, getting serious about diet seems much easier life than being banded for life. What do you post- banders think? Im a pre bander just trying to make the right decision....

alot of people having lapband had those symptoms you listed before they got the lapband. i know alot of diabetics have many of those symptoms. in my own very short experience, i have followed my dr's instructions and havent had any issues. i get hungry on occassion but nothing a small Protein Shake wont cure. sure some have trial and error process for fills, will find that out soon.

Is lapband surgery really easier than following a healthy diet/exercise plan? I hear of reflux, being stuck, slippage, fills, Vomiting, head hunger, hair loss, not enjoying alcohol, Water not going down, pills not going down, constipation...etc. In all the research I have done, getting serious about diet seems much easier life than being banded for life. What do you post- banders think? Im a pre bander just trying to make the right decision....

Sure, diet and exercise are easier. I've done it for years, and I've lost the same 20 pounds about a dozen times! Losing the weight is not the issue. It's keeping the weight off that is so hard. For me, banding was the end result of years of weight struggles, failing on every diet I ever tried, and realizing the clock was ticking. I'm not a young man, and how many more years of life would I have before chronic gross obesity finally killed me? Bandng was a fantastic option for me, and allowed me to finally get my weight under control. I will never look back, nor will I go back to being obese.

Now, nearly a year after surgery, I've lost 125 pounds. I have had ZERO reflux, slippage, vomiting, Hair loss, not enjoying alcohol, Water not going down, or pills not going down. I've been stuck a few times, and each time it was because I ate wrong. If I pay attention and eat as a bandster should, I do not get stuck, and I can eat anything I want. I've had seven fills, the last three of which were very small, to tweak my "green zone" so my band works properly. Fills are no worse than getting a shot. It's a non-issue. Constipation is related to what I'm eating, and how much Fiber I'm taking in. My digestion has slowed down because of my diet, but it's another non-issue. I take Fiber as part of my daily diet, and when it's time to visit the bathroom, there are no issues on that score. It's a small price to pay for being over a hundred pounds lighter.

The decision you need to make is how many more years (and times) are you going to "get serious about diet?" If you could do it that way, you wouldn't be obese now, right? My honest advice is that if you have any doubts of being able to "get serious about diet," then have the surgery. If it doesn't work for you, then have it removed, and go back to chronic dieting. You have nothing to lose but your excess weight, right?

Good luck!

Dave

Very well said Dave! I was recently banded and sometimes question myself but you reminded me why I did it. ;)

VERY WELL SAID DAVE!

I am 11 days post-op and the only problems I have had are the post-op gas pains, which I survived & a little Constipation. BUT the biggest change has been the 16 pounds I have already lost! Would have taken me a couple months without this wonderful tool. You have to remember it is in fact a tool to HELP YOU have results from dieting and exercise; you still have to do YOUR part or it won't work and you might as well be on the same rollercoaster.

The dieting & exercise I have done (many times) in the past is MUCH HARDER WORK than this liquid diet I have been on (now mushies, yay!) and the gas pains I finally survived. It is a life change for it to work, however, this tool does make the world of dieting and exercise MUCH EASIER when your actually losing weight!

Good luck! And read around on this forum.....lots of good info and support, as well as success stories to motivate you too!

Thank you Dave. If I Could be assured that my WLS after-life would be like yours, I would do it tomorrow. I change my mind daily and it's driving me crazy. I feel like Im resiging to a class of weakness by getting the band although intellectually I realize it takes much more strength to live a banded life.,,, thank you so much for your comments.

Speaking for myself I've lost weight many times only to gain it back plus a little extra. I had too many lifestyle diseases related to being overweight. I could no longer do the same thing expecting a different outcome. The lapband is the tool that will help me keep the weigh off so that all the effort of diet and exercise will not be wasted. I'm 3 weeks post-op and and feeling so good, I'm down 35 pounds, and can see my body shrinking and rearranging itself. My lifestyle diseases have gone away and/or in normal ranges now. The worst pain I had after surgery was shoulder pain and that lasted about a day and a half. I'm surprised each day by how little food it takes to keep my hunger under control and that I don't have to eat my entire serving at each meal to feel satisfied. I hope me and the the other bandsters have long term success with the lapband. If you decide to get a lapband find a good doctor, a center of excellence facility, and follow your doctor's instructions.

TBM

Very well said, Dave. Having lost my body weight more than once in my long life and always gaining back plus some, no diet I have ever succeeded in losing weight with was ever successful at keeping it off. At age 57, how many more chances do I have to be a normal weight and add years to the time here on earth to spend with my children and grandchildren? I am thankful that I was able to get banded at this stage of my life and know that each pound I lose this time is going to stay gone. It is worth every small bite and all that chewing. I wish I had done this years ago.

Is lapband surgery really easier than following a healthy diet/exercise plan? I hear of reflux, being stuck, slippage, fills, Vomiting, head hunger, Hair loss, not enjoying alcohol, Water not going down, pills not going down, constipation...etc. In all the research I have done, getting serious about diet seems much easier life than being banded for life. What do you post- banders think? Im a pre bander just trying to make the right decision....

I had surgery on Nov. 4th. I feel great. Never had gas or any pain at all. Go for it. Don't hesitate. It wa a snap!

A lot of that all depends on how tight you are...

I went in for a unfill Because I was to tight, and couldn't swallow my pills.

I eat Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and I drink with my Band. I also have room for a slight snack if still hungry,

But I hang around 1000-1200 calories a day.

I'm use to being tighter, and I might go in eventually for a fill.

That will depend on the weight loss though. If nothing is happening after 2 months, then yep, a small tweak will do the job. If it's working !

Then I am hanging where I am at.. Of course Exercise does help allot. They go hand in hand..

Be honest ! I lost the weight before, many times,,,,,,,,,,,,, But, it always came back.. If you stick to a plan, and are not Hungry, or that Hungry.

YES ! it works ! If you want to YO-YO Diet, then you will do that without the Band.

If you could eat the same amount as before you were banded, and you had proper restriction....

I would tell you you need to get in and see your Dr., Because something is not right ! It's not possible...

There are sites to help you keep in check ! Like myfitnesspal.com It counts your Calories, Protein, Exercise for the day, and as long as you stay under your calorie intake, you lose ! Everything is in Memory also.

As food addicts (I AM ONE.) Like any other addict, it's easy to fall of the wagon. Very hard for me to get back on,,,

With the Band, If I eat something that is like a trigger food, the next day I am back on track.

So in all Honesty. I believe it works ! I know it's working for me, and a lot of people on this site can't be wrong...

I am a two time loser, and it's coming off !. Where before the surgeon made a bad call and deflated me, I regained almost everything that I lost.

This time it was all Band not 12 months of Dieting before surgery. So yep it works. Remember ! The Band is Maintained by your Dr.... That's why you will have success.

Shirley. ;)

I had mine a week ago tomorrow..and I questioned myself the same way during the whole pre op process. I gave myself one last chance 2 years ago to lose the weight by diet and exercise before deciding on the band- I lost 50 pounds..looked amazing..worked out 5 days a week..became a fitness coach..within 6 months I gained all of my weight back plus! I felt so defeated and embarrassed! After all my fitness and nutrition talk and motivating others I gained it all back plus additional weight related health issues. I am done with failure!! 14 pounds gone..6 days Post op and I am not looking back!! You will make the right decision for you. Good luck!

Dave is right! I only got my band on 9/15, and overate once while I was on full liquids after surgery (bowl of cream of chicken Soup & a glass of Tomato juice). I can tell you honestly, that I don't ever want to feel the way I felt that day again. I don't have any restriction from my band yet, I've only got 2cc in a 14cc band, so it will be a while before I get help from the band, but I know from the pain I felt that day, that when I do get to the green zone, that this will work. I have never been stuck, or slimed, so if/when those things happen - I'm sure I'll do anything to avoid that feeling. Until then, I'm exercising, making better choices, and losing weight because I believe this time will be the last time I have to lose this weight.

I think everyone has said it all beautifully. I just have one more thing to add. Yes, diet and exercise without banding would be anyone's logical choice. But, being the way most of us are, the diet and exercise never is sustainable because of our appetites for food, sometimes large quantities or just bad quality high sugar, high fat foods. As someone said on another thread, the lap band gives us a fighting chance to have a lifestyle change FOREVER!

It helps to release you from your appetite and put eating in it's proper perspective.

I was very scared before I was banded. I heard all of the horror stories and I also knew that my whole lifestyle would change...its forced discipline frankly. I dieted pre-band but if I got weak and decided to go off I would, hence never losing weight the way I wanted. I was scared of the unknown and of change. But with the diagnosis of Type II Diabetes and high blood pressure I knew I had to do something.

Diabetes was a blessing in disguise for me because I really did something.. finally. Sure there have been bumps in the road... food sticking, acid reflux from time to time...but nothing major. It's a learning experience and you adjust. Getting banded was the single best decision I have ever made in my life. Yes, I miss some of the things from my old life, like going to a restaurant from time to time and over-doing it, but the good by far out-weighs the bad. I feel like I have a whole new lease on life.