Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went to my last appt yesterday and got all my pre- and post- op info. I am so excited about my pre and post op diets. They are definitely doable IMO. My dr is apparently NOT as strict as many are. One thing I noted is that he does NOT recommend Protein Shakes. My one week post op liquid diet lists Slim Fast High Protein, Myoplex Light and Zero Carb Isopure as acceptable liquids, however after a week of liquids I move onto mushies and pureed foods as tolerated. At that point, he wants his patients to get their protein from lean meats and foods. He has listed Protein Bars as an option, if I am not able to get enough protein, but recommends avoiding the drinks and shakes. He feels that the drinks will slide through and not provide the same "full" feeling as getting the protein through food or even bars. It was sort of a relief to me, as I have never found a shake I could stand. On the other hand, it means I will have to be conscious to make sure I am eating high-protein items as much as possible. Changing my eating habits is the point of this process though, so that is doable to me too.

I'm anxiously awaiting my approval and starting the next part of my life!!:D

I copied this from the December bandsters thread. It's about my pre- and post- op diet specifics. Just wondering how similar it is to anyone elses? It seems very lenient to me. (Thankfully :P )

I had my last 6-month nutrition appointment today! Yay! He will be submitting to the insurance hopefully today- he's still got to get the report from the psych eval, so he's hoping to harass them enough today. We went over my pre- and post-op diet info. I'm SO lucky, I think! This is sooo much less restrictive than what I've seen others have to do!

The pre-op diet is a low carb/low calorie diet for 7 - 14 days pre-op, with the purpose of shrinking the liver. It consists of 10 oz lean meat (70 grams protein), 2-3 cups non-starchy vegetables, 3 tsp fat, and all calorie free liquids.

Post op is only one week of liquids that are thin enough to pass through a straw. During this week, avoid carbonated drinks and caffeine, but after that I can have them if I want. Acceptable drinks: Skim milk, low fat drinkable yogurt, cream Soups that are strained, sugar free hot chocolate, slim fast high Protein, myoplex light, zero carb Isopure, propel, crystal light, broth, gatorade G2. chewable Multivitamin and chewable Calcium.

A week after surgery, I will have a follow up appointment with the surgeon. Provided an "uneventful recovery has been confirmed" I can move up to all solids over the next few weeks as tolerated.

I can do this! The nutritionist said he doesn't get real strict on the diet unless you reach a point where you aren't losing. I'm relieved that his plan is so doable. I'm so excited I can't stand it!

Protein shakes are generally not pushed here in australia either, past th immediate post op period although i notice its a trend thats catching on in the general public. You never used to see it but evrytime i go to the gym now i see som meathead sucking down one as he gazes at himself and flexes one muscle at a time, lol. Personally i never drank them because i cant see the point of spending twenty minutes concocting some recipe like i see here on this board ( that recent pumpkin pie one comes to mind) that has four times as many calories, artificial sweetener and chemicals as a plain ol poached egg on toast AND is a liquid anyway and wont satisfy! Plus its just another way to prolong our addiction to the taste of sweet, creamy foods.

As you can tell, im no fan of the concept of Protein Shakes as a daily food staple. I think theyre useful, sure, wont hurt if you like them and may be of real benefit at high level of intense exercise (which does not mean zumba or even a spin class).

I do not plan on having any more Protein Shakes after I can eat solid food...They are expensive and quite frankley I think I can do better with real food

there are very few times that I actually drink Protein shakes.....if i'm in a hurry in the morning and don't have time for Breakfast, if i'm too tired when i get home to cook anything and just need the Protein, but not necissarly wanting to eat, or if i'm away from home all day and don't know when i'll have access to food. i usually keep an emergency protein shake or bar in my bag for those just-in-case times.

other than that, i eat my protein. my doctor wants me to eat them and not to substitue too many shakes.

i do find that sometimes i am just plain tired of chewing and only a Protein Shake will do. The Glucerna shakes are almost like a treat, so i might have one once a month or so. so delicious.