Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vacation advice needed

I have not taken a real vacation in over 17 years, and my family has decided to go to Hawaii this February and invited me to go with them. Just about half of the family is going, and half are not, so no one will be hurt if I decide to stay home.

The pro's: I've always dreamed of going to Hawaii, it would be great to get a break from the brutal Chicago winter, and I can afford it. I was divorced a year ago, and am pretty much on my own now - and I don't know when I'll have another opportunity to go, unless I go by myself.

The doubts: I just got my band on 9/15, and I'll still be huge by February. I'm an adventure lover at heart, and I want to do the kayak trips, and the zip lines and all of the active things to do, and I don't think I'll be down far enough to do them. I'd have to buy warm weather clothes for the trip, as I don't have anything that will fit, and I am horrified at the thought of me in a swimming suit on the beach.

I know I am the only one can make the final decision, but I'd sure love to get some thoughts from those of you who have been there done that, or are still losing and can relate to my emotions!

I can almost assure you, you will regret it if you don't go because of your weight. Your weight shouldn't stop you from enjoying life. You may not be able to do everything, but don't let your weight control you anymore. Go, have fun and live your dream!

I say go for it. 260 isn't as big as you think it is. You should check the weight limits on most zip lines and most of them are 250. you could totally be under that by February. that is doable.

i would go if I were you. just pre-plan the things you want to do ahead of time and read about weight limits. no big deal.

i weigh more than you do now and i can still hike and climb and ride bikes be active. don't let what you 'look like' affect you having a good time.

I agree, 260 isnt that big. I say go for it and do as much as you comfortably can. Your family loves you and accepts you either way. plus by feb who knows how much weight you will have lost. GO DO IT!

OMG Go!!!! It will be one of the best vacations you will go on. I went a couple years ago way before I was banded. You will have the greatest time. Stay away from Waikiki Beach. Too touristy. I loved the big Island and Maui. The best vacation I've ever had. Don't let your current weight get you down. It is 3 months down the road and you will have plenty of time to get some more weight loss.

This is a no brainer-yes go for it!!!!!!!!

You will have plenty of options for adventures in Hawaii!!!

I look at it this way-if it were me I have 2 choices- ...be fat in NJ or be fat in Hawaii-I;d sure take Hawaii in Feb,!!! You will probably have NO trouble fitting in a plane seat by then either! I fit into them at 250-when I was 260 it was tight but I didn't need an extender (I am 5'6). Believe me there are all shapes and sizes in Hawaii too-not just a bunch of hula dancers! lol

Thanks for the advice - but 260 really is that big when you're only 5'2". I don't like to admit it, but I'm comfortable in a size 22 right now. I've been leaning towards not going, which is maybe why I posted this - Maybe I wanted someone to change my mind. I'm in a pretty good routine with my diet & exercise now, but I'm not getting any help from the band yet. I've earned every lb I've lost, but that has just made me more confident that I can and will do what I need to do to get there eventually. I have not made any decision yet, but I'm figuring optimistically that I can drop another 30 lbs by then - but that is still probably going to be a size 16 or 18 - when I should be in a 6 at my height! I've always known exactly how big I am, and have always tried to hide behind it. I'm still terrified of the idea of a swimming suit in public...

honey, i am bigger than 260 and I'm still going on a cruise in january and i'm wearing my swim suit, and i'm gonna have a great time because it's my vacation B) . what someone else thinks about me on my vacation means nothing to me.

at a size 22, you should have no problems fitting in an airplane seat and you shouldn't need an extender. i was able to fit in an airplane seat and go without a seatbelt by the time i finally hit twoderville...i was around a size 26 still but had no problems.

don't let something like a number on a scale hold you back. go, enjoy yourself and have a great time.

you might regret NOT going, but you won't regret going.

Go for it, girl!!! Look how far you have come, and how much more you will lose by then. That can be a major goal for you. Do it!!!

Girl you better go. I just got back from the Dominican Republic loved it and I went zip lining, mountain climbing of course I am only 207 but hell it is doable. If I can walk up a Water fall that is nothing but rocks then believe me you will be able to also. The only problem I had was there wasnt much band friendly food because the meat was tough and it got stuck. I ate a bit here and there but I was more interested in swimming in the nice warm ocean and doing things I wont get to do again and believe me there are much bigger people where you are going then you. Who cares about the bathing suit I didnt care because there were some big mama's out there with all their glory haning out and I didnt care. Enjoy and do it.

Thanks for the advice - but 260 really is that big when you're only 5'2". I don't like to admit it, but I'm comfortable in a size 22 right now. I've been leaning towards not going, which is maybe why I posted this - Maybe I wanted someone to change my mind. I'm in a pretty good routine with my diet & exercise now, but I'm not getting any help from the band yet. I've earned every lb I've lost, but that has just made me more confident that I can and will do what I need to do to get there eventually. I have not made any decision yet, but I'm figuring optimistically that I can drop another 30 lbs by then - but that is still probably going to be a size 16 or 18 - when I should be in a 6 at my height! I've always known exactly how big I am, and have always tried to hide behind it. I'm still terrified of the idea of a swimming suit in public...

GO TO HAWAII. It is an amazing trip, and you will be so much smaller by the time you go, you will feel great about yourself. Don't give up this opportunity just because you feel like you won't be able to do things. I'll be you'll be surprised at what you'll be able to do at your new, lighter weight.

Think about all of the heathy foods you can have on the islands - lots of fresh fish!

Keep us posted on your YES decision.

You should go. There's a lot of things to do in Hawaii that don't require a lot of activity. Just being there is so wonderful, seeing the flowers and smelling the sweet air. Seeing volcanoes, Pearl Harbor, luaus, jungle, so much to see. You'll love it.

I went to my brothers wedding in Mexico at my ultimate biggest .. also went with a 3 week prior broken shoulder .. so knowing I could do just about nothing but lay at the pool I still went. Do I wish I smaller? of course Do I wish I didn't have a broken shoulder? Do I wish I wasn't in 1 wedding phote .. god yes.. but ... rewind 3 years ago .. if I hadn't even been considering surgey would I have gone yep. "life is what happens when your busy making other plans" can't wish your life away .. just go. And if nothing else .. even fat looks better tanned ... Go and when you see how much you love it .. . and be prepared to reward yourself when you hit 200# when you can do it all, and just maybne with a handsome man to keep you company :P