Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mushies....what do I eat!?!?

In my trusty little baratric info binder they have all the weeks broken down and what you can eat. For some reason, mushie week has no examples of what I can eat. And I am just confused by what i've read in the recipes section because everyone says something different. What mushies are you allowed to eat? Some say no mash potatoes some say yes. I thought that since I mashed potatoes may be ok, that stove top may be ok. It didn't sit well, so I stopped eating it.

I know things like oatmeal and Creme of wheat are on there, but I hate both of those things. I really don't know what to eat.

Its really tough not knowing what I can have.

um all i can say is stove top IS A BAD IDEA! bread ITSELF IS A BAD IDEA at this point, perhaps ever. Bread, Pasta expands in your stomach, NOT GOOD

I was told bread as tolerated and can only go off what I was told. I had 4 bites. It is mushie, it made sense. It's low cal. But it didn't feel good. So now I am eating nothing because I don't know what to eat.

Kellysue, this was almost my favorite part of the diet. We've had an immersion blender for years, for

protein shakes and it was handy for the mushy stage. You can make a tuna salad with a little extra

low fat mayo, and mix it to a thin paste. Sounds horrible, but as hungry as I was then, it didn't matter.

I put defrosted meatballs from costco with a little marinara sauce and cheese and loved it. This is

just an example, they have some really good ideas in the food section on this site and if you put

weight loss mushie stage in Google you'll find more than you can use. There is a recipe in the

food section for instant potato Soup (I cook it for 5-6 mins) that's really good and fast. You can buy

protein isolate on line (Amazon, e bay or a health food store), mix a tablespoon full in cool water

and add to the soup and get part of your daily Protein. Just use your imagination and this stage

doesn't have to be bad.

Soft scrambled eggs, no sugar applesauce,sugar free puddings, yogurt, cottage cheese, and baby food are some of the things on my mushie list in my binder.< /p>

wow, that meatball idea sounds yummy Corrigan!

this came from my nutrition guide for post-op, hope it helps

Protein/Dairy

-Scrambled egg whites or eggsubstitutes

-Low fat cottage cheese.

-Low fat yogurt

-Soft fish

-Soft tofu

-Egg/tuna salad with low fatmayonnaise

-Low/nonfat refried Beans

Fruit/Vegetables

-Unsweetened applesauce

-Canned fruit in Water

-Soft banana

-Pureed/blend fruit/vegetable

-Well-cooked non-fibrous vegetables(e.g., squash, spinach).

Starch

-Hot Cereal (e.g., Oat Bran ,Oatmeal)

-Soggy whole grain cold Cereal (Eat sparingly)

These are great ideas! I am totally doing the meatballs! that sounds great! I don't know why this seems like the only missing info from my binder...weird!

I had fun figuring out recipes for my "mushee" stage.

I mashed a small slice of avocado with a hard boiled egg.

Mixed all natural Pasta sauce with some fat free ricotta for a mock lasagna.

I made a Soup with some V-8 and pureed salsa. Topped it with a tbsp of parm.

Babyfood plums or apple sauce (pureed stage) with cottage cheese.

I pureed blueberry and mixed them into cream of wheat.

Two words, food processor, I could put about anything in there, and whamo, instant mushy food. I would boil chicken, and put hot sauce in to add liquid. Any kind of veggies. It made mushy a snap.

tuna salad, chicken salad, egg salad, scrambled eggs, poached eggs, S F pudding, Applesauce, cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese sticks, Soft baked fish, hearty Soups, mashed potatoes, gravy, anything low in calorie, then you can put in a blender or food processor, and pulse it up to the consistency that you want, just make sure there is some gravy or juice in it for moisture.

So far my mushie diet includes:

tuna salad

chicken salad (homemade from boiled chicken)

Ground Gyro meat and Tzaziki Sauce (homemade meat, then food processor it, homemade sauce)

Ground Beef with Pasta sauce or salsa (cook 90/10 ground beef then food processor it)

Cream of Wheat

Scrambled egg

Grapefruit (peeled, membrane removed, puree)

Cottage cheese with Diced Pears

Peanut Butter

Vegetables (incorporated into the Tuna Salad, chicken Salad, added to the Gyro and Ground Beef)

The above keeps me full and gives me some variety. Just remember to keep it moist and mushie, not to dry.

TBM

wow these are all great ideas!!! I got banded 7 days ago today & have lost 10 pounds but am starving!!! I get to start mushies in 2 more days & I can't wait. During this "mushies" stage, does the weightloss slow down?? How much Protein am I suppossed to be getting daily & what excercise is everyone doing?

I ate yogurt, applesauce, sf popsicles, fat-free refried Beans, cottage cheese, some Soup (not alot because of the sodium), oatmeal, sf pudding...

I shoot for 60-80 G of Protein a day.

I'm 9 days post-op and down 17lbs. I've been living on sf pudding/ sf jello/ chicken broth/ and cream of wheat. While I don't find myself hungry, I do find myself needing some sort of substance. If you've been banded, what were you eating after 9 days post op? I was told to wait 2 full weeks for mushies, but I need substance! Is it safe to introduce cottage cheese to my diet? Maybe mashed potatoes? I saw a lot of people posting about the tuna salad and chicken salad pureed, how many days/weeks post-op did you incorporate that!?