Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery "Must haves"??

What have you found that you just can't live without post surgery? This can be anything really, from Gas-X strips for the first few days, a timer for eating, to which books you have relied on or food journals etc. Post what you have found that after surgery, has turned out to be a life saver.

a sexy man right about now would be a life saver

The best advice I can give is to have a positive and determined attitude. Not sure what your doc requires for a preop diet, but I had 3 weeks worth of liquids preop , then 2 weeks of full liquids postop. It was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Then when I finally got mushies, I completely quit losing weight. I was eating next to nothing, but the scale was stuck. 6 weeks after surgery, I had my first fill, and I'd only lost 4 lbs, and I earned more than that. I was totally discouraged and ready to give up, but my doc said it was great. I wasn't persuaded, but I kept fighting. I was banded on 9/15, and just last week started losing again. I'm really glad I fought the urge to throw in the towel, as last week I lost 3.6lbs, and so far this week, I've lost another 3.4. I've also picked up my exercise this week, and I'm sure that's helping too.

If you're the kind of person who gets into electronic technology - I'd really encourage you to get a fitbit activity tracker. It's a bit pricey, but worth every penny to me. I get my daily stats, and I know exactly how my activity compares to previous days and weeks. The statistics you get from this is amazine - and I can tell you that it really pushes me to hit the treadmill when I see I've had a low day. It sets daily goals for you, and tells you your progress toward those goals. My favorite stat is where it shows how many calories you've burned vs. how many you've eaten over the past 30 days as a graph. I will NOT let a day go by where I eat more than I burn. If I'm cheating, I'm only cheating myself!

Stock up on all the things you know are approved to eat in the weeks following surgery... low-sodium chicken broth, sugar free popsicles, sugar free pudding, yogurt, cottage cheese. I bought what I thought would be plenty, and it wasn't. I didn't feel like getting out to go to the store post-op for at least a few days, so make sure and stock up ahead of time. The other things I wish I had done ahead of time - a good heating pad, and liquid extra strength Tylenol. The docs will give you heavy duty meds for the first few days, but if you want to function during the day (and drive) you'll need liquid Tylenol. I had a lot of upper left shoulder pain (they say most get this), and putting a heating pad on it at night really helped me sleep better.

Good luck on your journey!

Jojo

Thanks for the tips all, I was hoping for more input, but I'll take what I can get!

Thanks for the tips all, I was hoping for more input, but I'll take what I can get!

When is your surgery ? I read a few good books about lapband surgery that really helped prepare me. One of them was by dr Robert Sewall. . Very informative. I also read Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies. I would also say don't expect too much of yourself the first several days. Be prepared to let your body recover by resting, walking, and staying on your post op diet. Everyone recovers at a different rate. But it's a real jolt to your digestive system. Take the time That your body needs. Good luck!

Arlene

Hi Matt, I posted a video on YouTube about by post-op prep, check it out. I also suggest getting a heating pad, it made my shoulder feel much better.

TBM

When is your surgery ? I read a few good books about lapband surgery that really helped prepare me. One of them was by dr Robert Sewall. . Very informative. I also read Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies. I would also say don't expect too much of yourself the first several days. Be prepared to let your body recover by resting, walking, and staying on your post op diet. Everyone recovers at a different rate. But it's a real jolt to your digestive system. Take the time That your body needs. Good luck!

Arlene

Thanks Poodle, I've got no reservations with just relaxing and recovering. No need to cause any post surgery medical issues!

Hi Matt, I posted a video on YouTube about by post-op prep, check it out. I also suggest getting a heating pad, it made my shoulder feel much better.

TBM

Hey Bandedman! I was directed towards you vlogs and I subscribed and responded to a few already. "CodeZeroBME"

Thanks for taking the time to put out very informative videos!

My lifesaver was my heating pad! I couldnt have done it without it. It helped ease gas pains and the soreness from surgery. Over a year later that's the only thing I can think of that I couldnt have lived without.

What have you found that you just can't live without post surgery? This can be anything really, from Gas-X strips for the first few days, a timer for eating, to which books you have relied on or food journals etc. Post what you have found that after surgery, has turned out to be a life saver.

Hi Matt, my saving grace has been a web site that counts your calorie intake, Protein intake, etc. I use myfitnesspal.com but there are other programs out there that you might find to better suit you. After putting myself through the low,low calorie intake and not losing weight, I had to up my calories. I've lost about 45 pounds since June 2011. Good luck to you. Hope this is helpful.

- Immediately following surgery, you'll want some chap stick or other lip baum.

- PJ bottoms with a loose drawstring and easy to get out of (it may take you some time to get up and over to the bathroom, you do not want anything else delaying you from going - especially when on liquids!).

- Plenty of pillows for propping up to sleep comfortably.

- I sent my husband out for a probiatic yogurt on hand after a few days of not evacuating. I preferred this over other OTC drug methods.

- A good book. I found reading easier than watching TV.

Hope this helps.

liquid Tylenol

Liquid prescription pain meds

Low sugar apple juice

Listerine breath strips or some other dissolvable breath strips

Protein shake mix

Slippers or shoes you don't have to bend down to put on

I think that's it... Good luck!

I have looking to get the fitbit. It's cheaper than the bodybugg but still $100...glad to hear you love it. It's going to be my Christmas present and I may get one from my husband too. Since we are both getting banded in December. Thanks!

The best advice I can give is to have a positive and determined attitude. Not sure what your doc requires for a preop diet, but I had 3 weeks worth of liquids preop , then 2 weeks of full liquids postop. It was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Then when I finally got mushies, I completely quit losing weight. I was eating next to nothing, but the scale was stuck. 6 weeks after surgery, I had my first fill, and I'd only lost 4 lbs, and I earned more than that. I was totally discouraged and ready to give up, but my doc said it was great. I wasn't persuaded, but I kept fighting. I was banded on 9/15, and just last week started losing again. I'm really glad I fought the urge to throw in the towel, as last week I lost 3.6lbs, and so far this week, I've lost another 3.4. I've also picked up my exercise this week, and I'm sure that's helping too.

If you're the kind of person who gets into electronic technology - I'd really encourage you to get a fitbit activity tracker. It's a bit pricey, but worth every penny to me. I get my daily stats, and I know exactly how my activity compares to previous days and weeks. The statistics you get from this is amazine - and I can tell you that it really pushes me to hit the treadmill when I see I've had a low day. It sets daily goals for you, and tells you your progress toward those goals. My favorite stat is where it shows how many calories you've burned vs. how many you've eaten over the past 30 days as a graph. I will NOT let a day go by where I eat more than I burn. If I'm cheating, I'm only cheating myself!