Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Extreme Pain in the Roof of your Mouth with first meal

Every now and then I get an extreme pain from the roof of my mouth when I start a meal. It feels like its being pulled out or blistering up from time to time. It doesn't always happen. Sometimes it feels like it triggers with sweet items, not sure though. It goes away and doesn't return for that meal. Happens once or so a week. Maybe more. This started when I got the band.

Anyone else getting this?

That's really strange. I haven't heard or read about that happening. Have you checked with your dr? Suggest you keep a good food journal so you can look back and identify any trends i.e. specific foods, ingredients, time of day etc.

That definitely is not a common problem. My first guess would be that it had something to do with being intubated. I have not heard of this during my line of work. I am in the medical field. I would suggest seeing your personal doctor. You may have to see an ear, nose and throat doctor.

I get it sometimes as well and yes, only since being banded.. I am over 3 years out so definitely nothing to do with intubation. It is not bad or frequent enough to see a doctor but on occasion I try to eat certain foods, mainly sweet but sometimes mayo or ketchup as well and very back of the roof of my mouth burns, like a very raw and painful sore throat but only when the food makes contact. The same offending food might go down fine a few hours later.

sometimes I get a prickly, peppery (for want of a better word) feeling on the roof of my mouth when eating something difficult. Its a warning to stop before I get stuck. And very occasionally, I get an aching pain which radiates up the esophagus and roof of the mouth, once or twice I've had it where its been alarmingly bad, like should I go to the ER bad, and nothing resolves it, until it goes away of its own accord. I've been banded six years and there's nothing wrong with my band, its just one of those things. My doc thinks its probably muscular spasms. But roof of mouth - definitely a place where I feel anything happening to my stomach.

I have this occasionally. The best way I can describe it is that it feels like a cramp in the roof of my mouth. It is always with the first thing I put in my mouth in the morning, which is usually Water. Happens when I take the first drink. It's not related to being stuck, at least in in my case. I've had it happen with food before, I remember once it was with a bite of banana. But it's usually with just a drink of Water. It is very uncomfortable and it feels like it takes forever to go away, although I would say it only lasts 30 seconds or so. If I touch my tongue to the roof of my mouth, I can feel that the area in question is tightened. It really seems like a muscle cramp to me.

Anyway, this March I will have been banded four years, so I have to also agree it's not entubation related. The first time it happened to me was two summers ago. I did mention it to my dentist at my last check-up, only because it had just happened the day before and it was on my mind. He said he'd never heard of it. I'm sorry to hear other people are dealing with it, but am also glad to know I'm not the only one! I've googled and googled and haven't found anything outside this thread.

I was having this same problem. It is a "weird" sign of Vitamin B deficiency. The first doctor I went to looked at me like I was crazy when I reported this symptom, but upon further investigation- I was right! That is what it is.

Every now and then I get an extreme pain from the roof of my mouth when I start a meal. It feels like its being pulled out or blistering up from time to time. It doesn't always happen. Sometimes it feels like it triggers with sweet items, not sure though. It goes away and doesn't return for that meal. Happens once or so a week. Maybe more. This started when I got the band.

Anyone else getting this?

OMG I get that too and thought I was crazy! Only with the first food I eat in the morning, I can drin coffee and not get it but if I take a bite of something first thing in the morning 9 out of 10 times I will get that too! Wow I am not crazy lol

OHMYGOSH

So i've had my band for almost 4 years, and I've had the same problem the whole time! Except along with the extreme pain, the roof of my mouth also swells! It's terrible and happens quite frequently!

I went to the orthopedic surgeon to inquire and they just said that they thought it was my wisdom teeth, but after getting THOSE out I kept having the problem with pain and swelling!

It normally happened to me the first time i eat during the day, or after eating something after it's been a few hours.

I absolutely knew that it had to have had something to do with my band! I just could never definitively say so. I am so glad to see I'm not just crazy! haha

I have to say I think Amy (in a post above) is onto something about it being a Vitamin B deficiency. A few months ago I got diligent about taking a B12 supplement again, and now that I think about it, this roof-of-the-mouth pain hasn't happened to me in a long time now. I never liked the sublingual B12, but I found some Gummy ones and I am sticking with them, no question.

Hello all, I stumbled across this site when I googled the condition (I have the same thing happen with the roof of my mouth--only at certain times and only first thing in the morning--very painful feeling). And for the record, I did not get a band. I wanted to contribute to the question stream to let you know it's unlikely due to the band. I still don't know what causes it, though, and would love to know! Someone mentioned Vitamin D deficiency? Thank you!

Finally nice to see other people are experiencing this sensation. It's definitely a cramp because the on set and come down is exactly the same. For me acidic foods seem to cause it. I do not have a LapBand and am in normal condition for my height and weight. Only happens once with my first meal. The longer in the day I wait to have my meal the more likely this will occur and will be more intense.

ANSWER: solved. think about this. it's deeply intuitive if you know about this stuff. its very simple. IN THE TIME WE STOPPED EATING (OVERNIGHT OR BY USING AMPHETAMINE) OUR BODIES HAVE GONE INTO A LIGHT STATE OF FASTING. Therefore when we eat, our body is just trying to warn us -HEY DONT MESS UP THIS FAST, WE'RE JUST STARTING TO HEAL! as we're trying to eat out of habit when we weren't actually hungry in the truest sense. that's it.
the condition is totally benign. its just us improperly breaking an unintentional fast.

Also this is why it doesn't matter what we eat! if its food, you broke the fast. its not an allergy. its just any food will burn. and thats also why the burning stops when you barrel through the first few bites. or you can go back to the same offending food a while later. BECAUSE BY EATING, YOU BROKE THE FAST AND YOUR BODY REALIZES YOU ARE IN DIGESTION/EATING MODE AGAIN. thank you.

also many people without bands experience this. i assume when you get a band you've become more sensitive to the way your body reacts to going without food. or you now go into the fasting state much faster like many people who do not have bands.

Edited by lionpaul

I started getting the ache in the roof of my mouth after being sleeved. I actually posted a question but got no replies. Glad I am not alone!