Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a BMI of 52 and did not have to do a preop diet. I was Clear Liquids the day before but that was it. Definetly call your doctor and let him know. Also have you lost any weight preop dispite not adhering to the diet? My doctor warn me not to gain anymore weight before surgery because if I had a significant weight gain, then they would not do the surgery. Good Luck, I hope it works out. I do warn you that the lapband takes alot of work and you will not lose weight if you continue to eat bad things and not exercise. Its definetly a lifestyle change.

Hi guys!

He cleared me for surgery under the condition that I stay on just liquids until surgery. I have lost 12 pounds so far so he wasn't as upset as I expected him to be. I'm so excited and can't wait for Monday!!

good news ..keep up the good work now :)

good news ..keep up the good work now :)

Thank you!!!

Hi guys!

He cleared me for surgery under the condition that I stay on just liquids until surgery. I have lost 12 pounds so far so he wasn't as upset as I expected him to be. I'm so excited and can't wait for Monday!!

Thats fantastic news Nicole! See, you got all worked up and upset for nothing. Not just remember how bad you felt cheating! You don't want that again now do you! Only 2 days, so stay strong!

My Dr. only requires an Atkins type diet for two weeks before. I have trouble getting the Protein Shakes down so I was exstatic. I can eat my Protein in lean meats and have to cut out the carbs and fats to a bare minimum. I have friends that had to do the liqued diet and others that have had no diet. Each Dr. is different. Don't fret just get back on track and you will be fine. Best of luck!

Good 4 You!!!! Good luck

Thanks guys!

Hi All,

My surgery is scheduled for this Monday and I have failed at the pre-op diet. I have consumed all of the Protein in the world but instead of eating the one a day Smart one meals I have been eating things I wasn't supposed to, such as Asian style chicken and Broccoli with Rice, pizza and creamy Soups :(. I know it sounds horrible but I honestly haven't been overeating I just haven't been eating right. Should I cancel my surgery or is there a chance I can still shrink my liver? If so, I will have 3 days to do it. Please help!

-N

NO! ! Every Dr. is flexible. If you been doing it rite, but a few different changes, wich you say you were not reall bad !

Then No Way ! do you cancel that... You worked hard for this, you will learn by your mistakes (TRUST ME !) So go in,

and I think you will be very Happy with your Results.

Just don't cancel !;)

My ins. said pre surgical diet for 1 year =12 months...

That's a long time

When we got down to the final 2 weeks, he said O.K., it's time for your 2 week liquid diet.

I said cmon ! give me a break !

He laughed, and said O.K. you been pretty good, stay on your diet until 3 days before surgery, and then do liquids.

I said you got it..

I had Lymph node removal from the groin, Hernia Repair, then finally the Band put on.

I spent 3 hrs. on the Table, and he was whipped.

He changed his mind in a flash on the pre op diet, and all went well.

That's why I say NO ! don't cancel it at all.

I think most doctors just want you to lose a certain amount of weight. I dont really think most of them care how you get there as long as you do....Im sure im wrong in some cases but for the most part I think the general idea is just to get that specified amount of weight off

I read about so many different pre op diets idk why I was soo nervous! I hope all goes well tomorrow. Thanks guys you all helped put my mind on ease. Say a little prayer for me, I get banded at 11:30 tomorrow morning. :)

In 12 months I lost over 120 Lbs.... That's just dieting at 1200 cal. a day.

I think the difference between surgeons is mostly philosophical. Yes, they want your liver to be in the best shape possible to minimize risk. Of course that makes sense- don't we all want the least risk possible?

My surgeon's requirement was to do a two week pre-op diet of 2-3 Protein shakes (with 25g or less carbs per serving) and one meal of a lean Protein and veggies (no starchy ones like corn). In all, I should be eating no more than 1000 calories per day.

I am glad for the pre-op time to get used to how it's going to be for the first couple of weeks after surgery. Sure I could have eaten my calories with all "real foods", but having to do it this way has prepared me for not being able to eat solid foods for awhile. I am sure this is why my surgeon does it this way. It's a bit of a shock to our systems to undergo anesthesia and surgery and be on pain meds. Having to deal with a way of eating that is totally foreign would make that period much more difficult I think. At least I know it would for me. Now that I have this down, I will not be freaking out so much after surgery, and I will know how to get all that protein in every day. I think everyone should do it, really, but obviously many don't have the requirement and have gotten on just fine.

I've been 95% compliant with the diet and have logged every single thing I've eaten or drank. (another good habit which I will be continuing once I get back on solid food)