Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm new here guys :( And I need support

Hey everyone. First time on a forum like this. I think it is obvious why I am here. I have wanted to lose weight for such a long long time and never was able to reach my goal. I am thinking about lap band but i am always affraid of surgery and i have that type of personality where i am just get scared of big things like these. But I want to get the best feedback from those of you who have done the surgery. I will look at all the other posts too. Any information is helpful. Thanks.

are you afraid of the alternatives of not losing weight? do you have any of the weight related health issues? what are your fears? youll get a chance to talk to a psych along the path, maybe discuss your fears with them. i am just starting and its not a cake walk. as they tell you it is a tool to help you lose weight. make sure you do your research and find a good surgeon. that should reduce some of the surgery fears. good luck with your decision!

I'm scared too, but if I don't lose the weight I am putting my self at risk for heart disease stroke, high cholesterol, etc. But, I do know that I want to live longer and if this tool can help me lose weight to be around to see my kids grow up then I'm all for it. When the time comes I will pray and go from there. The closer it gets it has been getting easier for me. You are not alone we all have fears, just need to figure out how to conquer them. I recently lost a friend who was severely overweight, I don't want this too be me. This is a great site with lots of support available to you, just ask and people here will help and support you. I agree with susan73 research, research, research, then go from there good luck on your decision.

hello.. I am a first timer too.. I saw what you said about being affraid of surgery and I am also.. I have anxiety issues in general which have made the decision difficult, but I just want to tell you what everyone has been saying to me. You should be more afraid of being overweight than going through the surgery.It really makes you think ya know.. The long term health risks of being obese outweight the risks of complication with the band. I hope this helps you like it did me.

Lisa

Hey everyone. First time on a forum like this. I think it is obvious why I am here. I have wanted to lose weight for such a long long time and never was able to reach my goal. I am thinking about lap band but i am always affraid of surgery and i have that type of personality where i am just get scared of big things like these. But I want to get the best feedback from those of you who have done the surgery. I will look at all the other posts too. Any information is helpful. Thanks.

I am a newbie too...initially I was nervous and scared but I can not let fear run my already fat miserable life. I believe I am a food addict. I have been in a bad relationship from food for 1/2 my life. I done, I over it and I am taking my life back. As I am going through all these pre-op appointments and tests, I am realizing that is not that big of a deal. As far as the hassles from the band, I feel it will be hard at times BUT the end result will be well worth the hassles. Remember fear is created in our minds its not tangible. Create your new healthy life happily. Look around and read, good and bad and remember lap-band is completely reversible. As for me...next year I want to say to myself this is the best thing I ever did. Good Luck on your journey! :)

I was also terrified of surgery! Your support group, as long as they are on-board with you makes all the difference in helping with your decision.

Someone already mentioned health. If your weight is causing health issues then 'yes' this is something to seriously consider. I just got my one year physical and blood work done and everything came back normal. One year ago I was a medical mess and knew if I did not get serious about weight loss I was headed quicker to pushing daisies. I am so happy and blessed that I had this opportunity and second chance in life. Good luck in what your decide. Jake

Hi Rocky,

I am going to echo what the others have said. It is perfectly normal to have reservations and fears. Best way to over come that is research and then evaluate for yourself what is the best course of action. Don't rush into anything. Seek out advice and opinions from your Doctors who know you best. What about your support at home? Have you shared your thoughts on this with anyone?

My situation is pretty is clear to me. I am going to die if I don't take this weight off period. I am a walking time bomb. I started a 6 month supervised diet on Oct 12 tipping in at 486.

I am 44 years old, I have had nightmares about dying and I have even had nightmares about dying on the operating table. Regardless of these nightmares I am pushing forward with this surgery as I believe it is really my only option to have a shot at a healthly life. I have a lot of faith in my doctors and I know they'll do a good job. My wife is 100% behind me on this and she is well aware of the risks but we feel its a risk that must be taken.

I am not trying to scare you more Rocky. I am trying to encourage you and tell you do not let weight or fear dictate the terms of your life. You only get one go round in life. You need to research and make the best decision you can for yourself. We are all here for you to listen and offer up some friendly advice but at the end of the day you have to live with the decisions you make.

Good Luck,, Jim

Hi there,

I was approved today for Surgery on December 16th. I have never been nervous or anxious about having the surgery. I have had this battle with weight my entire lift. My first trip to Weight Watchers was in 6th grade. I need a tool to help me reach my goal and to stay there. For me this is it!!

Make your list, Pro's and Con's for me that help's me make a lot of decisions.

Good luck,

Gina

Thanks guys you are all very helpful and awesome people. I wish every one of you all the best. I still did not do the surgery I have it still in my mind but i just been trying my best to lose weight without surgery as my last chance before i step into surgery. I really thank you all very much.