Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am i eligible for lap band?

i am currently 23yrs old, 5ft1inches tall and 188 pounds, i suffer from severe depression mostly concerning my weight. i am constantly ridiculed over it from from my family and boyfriends, for an example, a couple days ago my boyfriend went out and got me a little boys costume that was incredibly small on me and made me go out in public like that showing most all of my butt and stomach while his friend laughed at me, my family used to make me run laps around the house and put me on all kinds of different diets telling me i would be beautiful if i losed the weight. i get social security and have been going to counseling since i was very young because of it all.

in my life ive tried every diet possible and used to run 4 to 5 times a week. i stopped taking my meds because it kept all my weight on, and ive tried diet pills for the last couple years and my back pain is seeming to get worse all the time. its been nearly impossible to lose weight and ive been running out of options. i was wondering if it would even be worth talking to my doctor about getting some sort of bariatric surgery done to see if that would help. this extra weight is more of a burden than i can deal with.. i also have medicare part a and b and medicaid.

i am currently 23yrs old, 5ft1inches tall and 188 pounds, i suffer from severe depression mostly concerning my weight. i am constantly ridiculed over it from from my family and boyfriends, for an example, a couple days ago my boyfriend went out and got me a little boys costume that was incredibly small on me and made me go out in public like that showing most all of my butt and stomach while his friend laughed at me, my family used to make me run laps around the house and put me on all kinds of different diets telling me i would be beautiful if i losed the weight. i get social security and have been going to counseling since i was very young because of it all.

in my life ive tried every diet possible and used to run 4 to 5 times a week. i stopped taking my meds because it kept all my weight on, and ive tried diet pills for the last couple years and my back pain is seeming to get worse all the time. its been nearly impossible to lose weight and ive been running out of options. i was wondering if it would even be worth talking to my doctor about getting some sort of bariatric surgery done to see if that would help. this extra weight is more of a burden than i can deal with.. i also have medicare part a and b and medicaid.

You need to go to a seminar, check out the details with your primary doc and insurance, and investigate options. Usually individuals must be stable for a couple years mentally with depression under control before a health team will consider the person in a good spot mentally and physically for surgery. If your social security is solely because of depression, I suspect you must have several health care professionals in your realm to make initial inquiries about the possibility.

Having any sort of WLS is a major life change. If you are not ready to accept a life time change of eating and exercising, you may not be a good candidate RIGHT NOW. That being said, this might be the motivating factor to make life changes towards this end............starting with the boyfriend who seems cruel from your description.

Surgery is only the very beginning..........

What is your current BMI? Usually that is a huge deciding factor for the ins company. I am pretty sure that medicare covers the surgery but I dont know what thier specific requirements are.

Oh by the way...had a BF ever done to me what your BF did to you...I would be find me a new BF

You need to go to a seminar, check out the details with your primary doc and insurance, and investigate options. Usually individuals must be stable for a couple years mentally with depression under control before a health team will consider the person in a good spot mentally and physically for surgery. If your social security is solely because of depression, I suspect you must have several health care professionals in your realm to make initial inquiries about the possibility.

Having any sort of WLS is a major life change. If you are not ready to accept a life time change of eating and exercising, you may not be a good candidate RIGHT NOW. That being said, this might be the motivating factor to make life changes towards this end............starting with the boyfriend who seems cruel from your description.

Surgery is only the very beginning..........

it wasnt all just depression, i have bipolar and anxiety also, and i am fully ready to accept any change i have stayed with certain diets for months on end as well as exercising. i think your right on the seminar thing, ill check one out as soon as i can. and the boyfriend, i am planning on leaving him soon, as well as certain family members if at all possible..

What is your current BMI? Usually that is a huge deciding factor for the ins company. I am pretty sure that medicare covers the surgery but I dont know what thier specific requirements are.

Oh by the way...had a BF ever done to me what your BF did to you...I would be find me a new BF

my current BMI is 35.5, so im just over the marking, and yes, the worst part was he was twice as big as i was and lost it in about three months so thinks i can do the same.. and honestly im thinking on just staying clear of the boyfriend thing for a while if ever i can move out of here

So Yes you qualify. You also have co-morbidity that make it possible.

I would look on line, in your city, and look for a Center of Excellence in Bariatric Surgery.

Then make a appointment for their seminar, also ask them if they take your Ins. I'm sure they do....

The depression stems from being overweight. But you need to lose this CLOWN that thinks he's funny..

When you lose weight, and become attractive to the opposite sex (NOT THAT YOUR NOT !) but more attractive ! You will see the guys that will want to take you out.

If they want to humiliate you ! Tell them to HIT THE BRICKS ! and mean it.

Go on the Forum, and scroll down slowly, the states will be on the left side of your screen, click on, your state, then locate your city or bigger city near you. Click on it and the Dr.'s will pop up. You can even email some of them, and get a responce.

Welcome Aboard, and good luck searching.

You can send me a message if you need to.

Shirley.

Please check out the Today Show, they ran a story about lap band last Friday, that is better close to your problem.

You must really educate yourself about lap band surgery. The more you know the more sucessful you will be. It sounds like you are ready to loose the weight. Make sure you have good positive support. The bigger question is why are you allowing yourself to be abused by a boyfriend and family members? It sounds like you grew up in an abusive household. Please discuss this with a counslor. My heart goes out to you. No one should have to live in abusive relationships.

You must really educate yourself about lap band surgery. The more you know the more sucessful you will be. It sounds like you are ready to loose the weight. Make sure you have good positive support. The bigger question is why are you allowing yourself to be abused by a boyfriend and family members? It sounds like you grew up in an abusive household. Please discuss this with a counslor. My heart goes out to you. No one should have to live in abusive relationships.

you have all been very helpful, all of your advise i will take to heart, and yes, ditching the boyfriend and getting back into counseling should be at the very top. not much i can do about the family, maybe thats how it started i guess lol, but anyways, ill start researching on the subject more and talk to doctors around me, i wish you all the best of luck yourselves and hope that all your efforts bring you to a happier and better place. thank you again.