Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st stuck episode

I am 3 weeks post op. Have been able to eat whatever I want basically so far. Have been eating what I am supposed to, but not chew chew chewing, because I havent had to thus far. Well tonight I was extra hungry, running my mouth, trying to eat a bacon cheeseburger from Burger King...without the bun of course. After about the 3rd bite, it stopped going down. Not a good feeling at all. I was beginning to think being stuck was an urban myth. Boy was I wrong. I remembered reading about meat tenderizer helping some people get unstuck. I tried it and after 3 swigs, i started feeling somewhat better. But that was the end of my hamburger. As a precaution I am gonna but my self on liquids only for a day. Today was definitely a learning experience in my new bandland.:blink:

I can only assume you know what your diet should be and choose to do your own thing.

Best of luck and I hope things work out for you.

That is so ironic. I was watching skymoon1982's youtube video on being stuck that she made just yesterday. You should check it out. Apparently she got a boneless wing stuck in there. I don't know much about the stuck feeling, but I would think drinking something warm would help it. Maybe soften it up. Good luck!

I can't imagine eating anything like a burger, even without Buns, just three weeks post op. I was still on mushies at that stage!

Now six months out and I've only had one stuck episode and although my instinctive reaction was to grab a mouthful of drink to wash it down, it had the exact opposite effect and hastened the return process.

Stick with your dr's advice, follow any rules given (cos we all get different rules depending on which surgeon we are with), and good luck.

I have not had any stuck episodes yet - and hope not to !

Welcome to the club. It was your first episode, and trust me, it will not be your last. It's all part of being banded.

Yes. It is a learning experience, and over time, you will have to adapt to an entire new way of eating. I hope you've learned a few things from this episode.

In my case, I would say Burger Kings and other such places are 99.9% off limits. Wendy's Chili works good for a quick lunch but that's about it.

I can't eat a burger patty, meat is too tough! For that matter, I don't eat much red meat at all lately.

Drinking something (anything) while being stuck is not recommended, unless you are prepared for what will happen next.

If stuck, nothing can pass, or passes real slow. Thus the sliming begins. Drink anything and it has no where to go, will add to the sliming

process so to speak, and it will all come up almost instantly.

I have been stuck more times than I can remember, but not at all in the past month or so because I have adapted new eating habits, food choices, etc. I have learned the hard way.

My Dr. laughs at me when I tell him my experiences.

When I have gotten stuck, I would sip some Water while standing over the sink to get rid of it quickly rather than dragging it on.

I can only assume you know what your diet should be and choose to do your own thing.

Best of luck and I hope things work out for you.

Actually I was following my nutritional guidelines giving to me by the dietician. I am allowed to eat all Proteins. Any meat, eggs or cheese. I never did the mushies. I went from liquid to regular Proteins. I wish I did do some mushies. I would have loved to eat some of the things I see other people able to eat.

I did learn my lesson though. I will definitely be chew chew chewing from now on ;)

you will eventually get stuck enough eating stuff like that, that you will grow to not even like or want certain foods. Stuff i used to love i don't even want anymore. breads, certain meats (like hamburgers), Pasta, cakes. My band is forcing me to eat healthier (which is great this is what it took) I now love steamed veges (broccoli, culliflower, carrots ect.) when i go to Mcdonalds with my kids i used to get burgers and fries and cola, now i get grilled chicken ceasar salad and Water. i am feeling so much better and 100% happy with my band.

Sorry to hear that, I will ALWAYS remember my first stuck episode...

I understand you were following you doctors orders. I would however recommend not having solids at this point. Many, many doctors call for mushies at week 3. For me that was cottage cheese and scrambled eggs. The consistancy difference between a bacon cheese burger and cottage cheese is immense. Again, I know you were following orders, but from the many posts I've read (in the last 1 1/2 years)I think your doctor is pushing you into solids too soon. Now that you're stomach is irritated from that stuck episode you may have trouble eating other things for several days. As another poster mentioned Wendy's chili is a very good and cheap fast food option (shocked me because Wendy's in my area is the most expensive fast food place)