Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Sushi? What foods have you had to give up after the Band?

Sushi and rice are two things that are not the same for everyone. If the band prevented people from ever having rice again, Koreans would freak out. However many Koreans and Asians are getting banded ( we eat rice 3 times a day here) and can still eat rice ( and sushi, kimbops etc).

It's not that I can't eat things post op, but rather I can't eat big portions or each them really fast.

Things that are a challenge for me are

meat that is not moist ( if the chicken has lots of sauce i can eat it)

octopus ( hard to chew into small pieces so it normally gets stuck unless I cut it small)

shrimp ( I still eat it but must cut it reallly small before hand or chew way too much)

rice Bagels ( yes they make them in Korea because Koreans dont see something being a meal unless there is rice involved)

Basically, I am living the 6 month clothing rule with food. If I haven't eaten it ( worn it in clothing talk) then clearly I dont need it ( meaning I shouldnt bother having it ever again, just get rid of that food option)

There are a few things I cant eat anymore:

bread

Rice

Pasta

Shrimp

White meat chicken

hard boiled eggs (i have no idea why, but i get sick everytime I try)

Tortillas

So I am aware that I must cut my caffeine to one cup of coffee a day. Carbonated drinks are not allowed. Then the surgeon told me certain foods are not tolerable after the Lap-Band, such as rice.:blink: The first food addict thought that came to my mind at that moment was, "No Sushi ever again?" He told me not everyone has that problem with rice. I have been reading the forums and it seems some people don't have any food problems but then last night I am eating corn and I start thinking, "will I be able to eat this after the surgery?"

So, I started this forum because I want to know, what food or foods (if any) have you had to give up because of the Lap-band?

Fortunately I have not had a problem with ANY foods. I love sushi and just had a few pieces a couple weeks ago. I've only had one fill so maybe eventually I won't be able to eat certain food but for right now I can.

I can pretty much eat anything - including sushi. Now, that said, just because I can eat anything doesn't mean that I do. Rice doesn't bother me at all (and never has) but I know that it will not help me in my weight loss so I keep it to a minimum. When I want sushi (about once every two weeks), I just make sure to plan for it and am careful with whatever I eat for the other meals during the day. Your surgeon and nutritionists can give you a general idea of the types of foods that some bandsters have issues with but you really need to try them and see whether or not you can tolerate them...it's different for everyone.

Latte's keep me going! lol. and far as the foods I can NOT eat:

HOT FRESH PIZZA-if its cold and left over i can eat maybe half piece and have to chew realllly well!

bread *any kind wheat white or toasted*

shrimp

white chicken

pork

steak *even pureed* Yes i tried lol

corn

saltine crackers

SOME RICE *i can eat spanish rice if its moist and almost overcooked*

REHEATED food it is too dry for me also!!!

cupcakes/cake

HOWEVER... I do enjoy a carbonated Dr Pepper 10 about once a month. I pop the top around 7am and leave it out on desk and slowly drink it all day. around quitting time (5) I usually have the can emptied. I love wasa bread/crackers. its the only kind of bread or crackers i can eat. i also love chips but have to have melted cheese or salsa on them or they get stuck! . haha Honestly I am glad I cant eat those things on the list anymore!!! ive been told my band maybe too tight, because i dont lose very fast and have awesome restriction, but i choose to have it that way because i am addicted to food and its better for me this way!

Jachut - I think that was a really good point! Big juicy apples, grapes, melon and many vegetables that aren't in a Soup don't appeal to me much anymore, although I know I loved these things for forty years. Indeed I'm too rushed and lazy to contend with broccoli or brussel sprouts or berries that will involve a lot of chewing and hard work. Not that I'm eating junk, but I'll choose the salmon and the soup every time. I think that's a good suggestion - to analyze why you want what you want and don't want what you don't want. Jeez, now I'm really dying for that apple...

So what is the deal with pills? Can they be swallowed easily? Also did I understand right, no more Advil?

I swallow pills just fine. If they're big I cut them in half. And ya.... No more ibuprofen or any anti inflammatories. Excessive use can lead to erosion.

wow no one told me no Advil!

I have had a little trouble with pizza but that's it.

I haven't tried rice because I didn't care for it before

I've only had one fill so maybe there will be others.

The interesting thing is that I did the high Protein low carb thing before the surgery and things I've "tested" after have such a different taste, I don't really miss them.

Anyone else notice a difference in flavor?

I swallow pills just fine. If they're big I cut them in half. And ya.... No more ibuprofen or any anti inflammatories. Excessive use can lead to erosion.

So what do you take as an anti-flammatory after the surgery??? I had my back go out last year and muscle relaxers and anti-flammatory is what helped.

I've found that it depends on the DAY. tonight I tried to eat one scoop of ice cream (sugar free) & could not! One more little bite and I would've been sick.

Steak is difficult, don't even want to try again

Sadly, salad is very difficult and all fruits & veggies with skins.

I don't really eat white bread at all now either

I'm 9 months post op and down 55 pounds. I just try to respect the band and it's "mood" :)

Somedays I can eat almost anything and somedays not much.

Just try to get your Protein shakes in if ever having a rough band day.

Good luck

Hi.... Depending on a fill or unfill my list of foods stays pretty much the same: Rice is totally off limits and I learned that the hard way. pancake, waffles and most breads, most chicken unless it's super, super moist, no red meat and I learned that one the hard way also, scrambled eggs and hard boiled are torture, sweet potato or any starch that is stringy, fish can be difficult sometimes, it depends, scallops are difficult, Peanut Butter and thick pasta's of any kind, I can only tolerate thin spaghetti if cut up real small. Sometimes I really miss these foods but the risk of them getting stuck scares me away from eating them.

Not a fan of sushi so I can't help you there.:rolleyes:

I'm finally figuring this "band' thing out! I notice I have good days (can eat really well) and bad days (everything wants to get stuck). Sometimes I do wonder if I'm too tight because I can throw up everyday.

One thing that I'm really starting to notice is, if I let myself get to the point of being hungry (empty stomach), NOTHING and I mean NOTHING will go down except liquid. At that point I will have to drink a Protein shake to stop the hunger, wait a little while, and then I can eat solids. Weird, I know?? Also, I've noticed my band is more tight in the mornings and late evenings, or if I'm upset. I like to eat a soft fried egg in the morning but somedays I can only eat a couple of bites. Here are the things I NO LONGER can eat or I will PAY DEARLY! :(

White rice (brown goes down fine)

Sushi Rolls (sashimi goes down great, and high in protien!)

meats (ANTHING STRINGY)

Cooked Fish

Brocolli and salad does not go down good.

Breads (sometimes I can get down 1/2 slice of wheat bread toasted)

*I'm starting to eat more GLUTEN FREE foods and this is helping me a lot. But like I said, I'm still questioning if my band is to tight because my weight loss is slow. I was banded Feb 2, 2011 and I've lost 40lbs. I'm around 6.4cc's.

Pizza, pigs feet an cheap beer sausages.

This is probably a silly question, but I'm a newbie: what does it mean it "gets stuck" and how do u know something is stuck. I'm just 6 days out, how do I know if the pouch stretched? I'm having awful gas pains, but feel like I can gulp down Water and have to make myself drink slow.