Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Did You Know?

How did you know when it was time to stop losing weight and focus on maintenance?

Funny- that is something I keep asking myself. I don't want to be a size 2 - but if I keep losing I will there - about a10 11 right now

On the other hand, to me its NEVER time to stop losing weight, sigh. I really cant see how thin I am until I see a photo. For me, hitting the bottom of my healthy weight range was the sign "enough" and that I shouldnt go any lower. But I did dip a few lbs lower whilst I was sick, and I"m almost ashamed to say, I really liked it.

My ideal body type, what I wanted to achieve and what I think looks good - is thin. As long as its healthy. So its up to you.

Its entirely personal, and determined by your body type. I've seen people walking around and thought "I wish I could be as curvy and womanly as that", but they are generally people with a body type that is fairly short, but quite muscular, and they can carry a covering of fat that looks amazing - firm and curvy. I'm 5ft 10 tall and built to be skinny - any extra flesh on me does not create curves, it creates unattractive flab. I dont have the muscle to flesh it out. How does one have curvy hips and breasts yet still have firm thighs and a flat stomach? I sure cant, lol.

So I go for the elegant clothes horse look. Works for me.

I'd suggest take a good look at your body type and be honest. You cant work against it. You cant decide you want to be curvy if you're like me, staying at a size 10 just wont achieve that. Likewise if you're lucky enough to have muscles and shape, you cant decide that you want to be a swimwear model look alike. The healthy body weight range will accomodate both goals.

I try to stay around a size 8, I on the high end of normal weight. I am quite satisfied at that size. I can walk into a store pick up a size 8. Go home and it fits great! I find maintenance a hassle though. However, right now, I just had to have surgery to repair my band after slippage, so I have no fill and am on liquids, clear for a week, then full. So, I will probably end up being in a loose 8. But, I am happy at the size and weight I am. Plus. folks say I look good and any thinner I will look sick. I guess, it all depends on whether you like yourself at the size and weight you are! Good luck. Karen

On the other hand, to me its NEVER time to stop losing weight, sigh. I really cant see how thin I am until I see a photo. For me, hitting the bottom of my healthy weight range was the sign "enough" and that I shouldnt go any lower. But I did dip a few lbs lower whilst I was sick, and I"m almost ashamed to say, I really liked it.

My ideal body type, what I wanted to achieve and what I think looks good - is thin. As long as its healthy. So its up to you.

Its entirely personal, and determined by your body type. I've seen people walking around and thought "I wish I could be as curvy and womanly as that", but they are generally people with a body type that is fairly short, but quite muscular, and they can carry a covering of fat that looks amazing - firm and curvy. I'm 5ft 10 tall and built to be skinny - any extra flesh on me does not create curves, it creates unattractive flab. I dont have the muscle to flesh it out. How does one have curvy hips and breasts yet still have firm thighs and a flat stomach? I sure cant, lol.

So I go for the elegant clothes horse look. Works for me.

I'd suggest take a good look at your body type and be honest. You cant work against it. You cant decide you want to be curvy if you're like me, staying at a size 10 just wont achieve that. Likewise if you're lucky enough to have muscles and shape, you cant decide that you want to be a swimwear model look alike. The healthy body weight range will accomodate both goals.

Thank you. This was very helpful.